DVDVR Message Board

The Continental Classic - A thread for pontificating, fantasy booking and ruling the motherfucking world.

southofheavy

30 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

is it possible to get there with one loss?

if there's two 4-1 wrestlers at the top of a group, I'd think the wrestler with the tiebreaker is advancing if the rules make any sense

now, that might lead to some sort of drama of someone going 4-0, and losing to a 3-1 wrestler who wins the group in week 5

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

405020782_18312750451139936_305021910223

oh no

Somebody needs to remove that man from power! Trying to sabotage a wrestler's important career moment like that! And considering he is in a position of power, couldn't sending a "gift" like that to a specific wrestler be considered bribery? 4 turkeys can't be cheap with this inflation! Even if that isn't exactly what Anne's brother is going for here, someone could see this as "here's a bunch of expensive food, now go lose the tournament by forefeit *wink-wink* "-type of corruption.

• Haha 1

I ate three quarters of a cherry pie so Eddie didn't have to. That match with Brody is going to be a WAR. 

As for Wednesday's matches, I dug Swerve vs Lethal the most, which I wasn't expecting. Seeing Mark in there with Mox was cool, and I think the finish to White vs Rush is foreshadowing how White's matches are gonna go. 

• Like 2

Time for some even-less-relevant-than-usual fantasy booking!

Wrestling bookers are pretty addicted to dramatic come-from-behind wins. So the odds are pretty decent that the eventual winner is going to be somebody who lost their first match. That being said, I'd say Eddie is the most likely winner at this point.

So how does he get there? My initial thought was that Eddie wins the rest of his matches, with the final match of Blue League being against a 4-0 Danielson. Eddie ekes out the win to cinch the Blue spot in the finals. Over in Gold League, Mox can be Mox and go 5-0, giving us Eddie vs Mox in the final. A shit ton of history there.

What makes my fantasy booking completely irrelevant, of course, is that, as somebody in the other thread reminded me, they've already announced Kingston vs Danielson for next week. So... maybe the same story, but slot Claudio in as the 4-0 guy Eddie faces last? They've referenced Eddie hating Claudio a lot, but I don't think they've actually had a one-on-one match in AEW yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Time for some even-less-relevant-than-usual fantasy booking!

Wrestling bookers are pretty addicted to dramatic come-from-behind wins. So the odds are pretty decent that the eventual winner is going to be somebody who lost their first match. That being said, I'd say Eddie is the most likely winner at this point.

So how does he get there? My initial thought was that Eddie wins the rest of his matches, with the final match of Blue League being against a 4-0 Danielson. Eddie ekes out the win to cinch the Blue spot in the finals. Over in Gold League, Mox can be Mox and go 5-0, giving us Eddie vs Mox in the final. A shit ton of history there.

What makes my fantasy booking completely irrelevant, of course, is that, as somebody in the other thread reminded me, they've already announced Kingston vs Danielson for next week. So... maybe the same story, but slot Claudio in as the 4-0 guy Eddie faces last? They've referenced Eddie hating Claudio a lot, but I don't think they've actually had a one-on-one match in AEW yet.

Eddie beat Claudio for the ROH title in Arthur Ashe.

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 1:00 AM, Cobra Commander said:

The backup plan if they put MJF over at Nassaumania despite the torn labrum but he really can't work while holding the belt should involve just treating the Continental Classic winner like the World Champ until you can heal MJF.

Please don't give them any ideas! It's bad enough having one company trying to distract their fans from an absentee World Champion by pretending their secondary titles or magic briefcases are just as important.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 12:49 AM, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

If you're trying to establish this new triple crown as a real big deal (and Tony talks about how historic it is having a title representing 3 promotions, so they should), Danielson should win and be the first champion

Feels like the only time Bryan Danielson might win AEW gold unless he gets a brief thank you for your service AEW World Championship reign. Even then I can see Bryan turning it down as this AEW Continental Championship as he's too damn selfless not wanting to be the top guy. Danielson should have held the AEW World Championship once already.

• Like 1

I was a bit checked out over the weekend, but I managed to catch up on Collision over Monday and Tuesday. 

Eddie vs King was quite good, and I'm gonna rewatch it having read Matt D's write up of it. I had a feeling Brody was gonna go over and it feels like the right call. Got a feeling the meet again in the group finals. We'll see.

Garcia vs Claudio was solid. 

Very, very excited for Switch vs Swerve tonight and Eddie vs Bryan this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

wonder if the 5th round could work out in a way where some 5th round upset ends up having a big impact on who wins a group

I would imagine something should happen to make the tournament more unpredictable. We've seen two slight upsets so far, but both of them were totally within the realm of predictable. It was not unfathomable to see Brody beat Eddie or Swerve beat White (can't tell if it was inconsievable, though?).

For something to be an upset in the Blue League, it would have to be Garcia actually winning a match and in the Gold League it obviously means Lethal getting points, Briscoe beating someone else than Lethal (and even Lethal may be an upset since Mark's record is like 1-99 against him), or Rush beating Swerve or Moxley. Every other result is at least fathomable or consievable in my point of view.

I welcome as many upsets and possible draws to mix things up as much as possible.

This is nitpicking, but why is it Gold and Blue league? AEW's "colors", so to speak, are Black and Gold, aren't they? I mean at least those are the ones I identify with them. Perhaps Black League just sounds too negative? Or Tony doesn't like the band of the same name? 

*looks up before posting* Ooof. The Black League was also an ultranationalist right wing party in the '50s in Russia that wanted to start a nuclear war with Germany. Their colors were... black and gold. ... I'm not sure if this is some fake video game shit or not because I can't imagine Stalin just wiping them out, or maybe he did? I'm not looking into it any further because the site was shady looking and Wikipedia didn't even have an entry. 

I think Jay's going to end up winning with 12 points.  Swerve and Mox draw, and then Hangman costs Swerve on the last day (perhaps gets suspended and does a Midnight Rider gimmick as the Cosmic Cowboy), while White beats Mox with 1 min to spare.

I just want to see Hangman do a modern-day version of this.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is nitpicking, but why is it Gold and Blue league? AEW's "colors", so to speak, are Black and Gold, aren't they? I mean at least those are the ones I identify with them. Perhaps Black League just sounds too negative? Or Tony doesn't like the band of the same name? 

*looks up before posting* Ooof. The Black League was also an ultranationalist right wing party in the '50s in Russia that wanted to start a nuclear war with Germany. Their colors were... black and gold. ... I'm not sure if this is some fake video game shit or not because I can't imagine Stalin just wiping them out, or maybe he did? I'm not looking into it any further because the site was shady looking and Wikipedia didn't even have an entry. 

NXT's colours are (were) Back and Gold. AEW used the whole rainbow when Dynamite started.

If anything I would say AEW is White and Gold, on a black background.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is nitpicking, but why is it Gold and Blue league? AEW's "colors", so to speak, are Black and Gold, aren't they? I mean at least those are the ones I identify with them.

Blue and Gold are Rampage's colors. Buuuuut that doesn't make much sense as the matches aren't on that show.

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

If I remember correctly, (The) Black League was also the name of the new project by Sentenced's original vocalist. Whether the name has any connection to the said Russians, I have no idea?

Anyway, for some reason, I figured the Blue and Gold somehow reflected the logo or promo material of the World's End PPV, but I'm not at all sure if that is accurate?

Edited by Shartnado
Punctuation