DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

food chain-wise, would a promotion need more enhancement guys for the heels than the faces? since faces can just wrestle heels that are barely not enhancement guys or guys on the way down while heels show up and need to crush a few opponents to get established before facing non-enhancement wrestlers

then again... I just watched a Sheepherders JCP match today and thought "these guys would have had an amazing brawl with the Vachons years earlier".. so who knows where i'm at right now

• Like 4

Depends on the versatility of the enhancement talent. Two years almost into my mid 90s rewatch, it's clear that a promotion gets the best utility out of the guys who can be both heel and babyface against the respective side they're putting over. I mean I think the number of jobs that Barry Hardy, Duane Gill, and Reno Riggins have done for the babyfaces on syndicated TV and Raw is reaching mid triple digits. It's gotten to the point where they done every permutation including Hardy and Gill teaming as the Executioners or whatever that deal was. That and Reno Riggins, a natural heel, has to now be a babyface and it doesn't work. Horowitz can do both, but interchangeable guys like Mike Bell, Ross Greenburg, Dan Dubiel, Mike Moraldo (the future Ace Darling) aren't that particularly good so the matches are just there. Chris Kanyon has been showing up lately a lot, and he's pretty good. PJ Walker (the future Justin Credible) is good, but he's usually against the heels.

There was an older guy (an AWA guy whose name slips my mind) who clearly brought some of his guys he trained, and they were fine. I already talked about Italian Stallion/Gary Sabaugh and some of his guys not too long ago. There was one skinny black dude (not Ron Cumberledge, but a darker skinned dude) who Owen Hart wrestled on one of the shows I watched recently who HAD TO BE one of the worst jobbers in the history of time. It was so bad that they probably shouldn't have put it on TV, but they probably figured no one was watching so what the hell.

So it seems like once WWF got outside of their core enhancement talent at the time, the results would be mixed at best. I think it's clear that by 1991, they probably should have revamped the syndicated shows cause the enhancement matches are no longer doing as what they were designed to do: make guys look impressive in a relatively short time. Terrible Doink (Ray Apollo) had an awful match on Challenge with a botched finish no less, and it may have even been with Barry Horowitz. It makes wonder who the fuck was agenting these matches and why wasn't Vince having like some come to Jesus meeting with that person or persons. The overall production of the shows is wonderful (minus some of the news segments with Pettengill, but I can ignore that). However, a lot of the in ring content leaves a lot to be desired. I am definitely in the era where they started to lean more on Raw. 

Edit - Tom Stone was the AWA guy I was thinking of.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Hopefully JBL stays home

Why? The other commentators probably get to go. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I'm sure JBL will be stepping out in Berlin, with a hearty HEIL to every German fan he sees. 

This isn't art school where some people just can't get in with their portfolio of work; this is pro wrestling commentating. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Google Translate says that “The Bash in Berlin” translates to “Die Party in Berlin”. But anybody who watches Spanish language TV can tell you that trademarks are not translated so it would be Die Bash, if you had to translate anything.

Last time I watched WWE with German commentary (like 20+ years ago), they translated a lot of names, like "das Unternehmen" instead of "the Corporation" or "der tollwütige Vielfraß" instead of "rabid wolverine". When they still had international announcers at ringside and gave them the word for some seconds at the beginning of the shows, I also remember them translating stuff like "Elimination Chambers" into "Ausscheidungskammern". (the Elimination Chambers PPV name was replaced in Germany by No Way Out because of the fear that connotations to the Holocaust are drawn)

Edited by Robert S

27 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

SRS is reporting that Paris is being "heavily discussed" as a PLE venue in 2024

France is one of those places where I'm sure they draw well enough for the WWE, but they're sorta in the shadows compared to the UK with all the passionate fans there and Germany who has been getting WWF/WWE shows for decades.. so an introduction to France French WWE fans will be a bit of a revelation (we're more used to Quebec French WWE)

Are there any French speakers who are coincidentally gonna get a push going into Paris Eurowrestlemania?

14 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

I can't imagine Paris will fork over a dime next year considering they've got the Olympics. Also they're busy fighting a bed bug infestation...

Especially with the PLE already announced in Germany.  I don't see them doing more than one Europe-based PLE per year.