DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FOUR

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Usher is one of those cats that I respect the work ethic and talent, but I can't say I enjoy any of his music. Like I'm tapped out on "Yeah" for a life time. I'm sure most folks could say the same for Swift's Shake it Off.

With it being in Las Vegas, I wonder how much of it will be Usher and how much will be a rotation of the big Vegas shows like Cirque du Soleil, Blue Man Group, and the likes of David Copperfield.

3 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

With it being in Las Vegas, I wonder how much of it will be Usher and how much will be a rotation of the big Vegas shows like Cirque du Soleil, Blue Man Group, and the likes of David Copperfield.

How old is the youngest person who knows who David Copperfield is?  I'm setting the over/under at 35. 

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

How old is the youngest person who knows who David Copperfield is?  I'm setting the over/under at 35. 

Didn't think of that, they'll probably use Criss Angel or David Blaine for the magic portion, or they might dig up Elvis Presto!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqusO8PegFI&t=63s

Edited by Mister TV

I'm going to say something controversial,  and i hope this is a safe space. I do not understand the Taylor Swift thing at all. There has not been a single second of her career where I haven't thought that this has been an elaborate prank that is designed to confuse the hell or of me. I have friends that love her and I've tried to ask what I'm missing and they just say something like,  "I don't know,  it's just fun." And it just makes me more confused. Nothing about her or her music is bad,  but I also can't point at anything better than pretty good. She's like Eli Manning, where I would never think about her but then someone acts like she should be in the hall of fame and I have no clue what the fuck anyone is talking about. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Eh, they got The Weeknd pretty much at the height of his career. Bruno Mars if anything hadn't gotten to the peak yet. Beyonce had basically been on a decade+ non-stop peak. Gaga might not have been quite at her peak but she was only a few months after Joanne came out and was a pretty damn big success. Katy Perry was between album cycles but both the one before it and the one after it were big successes.

Usher is more in line with with Dre and company a couple years ago and even the post-nipple parade of aging rock stars. (Which I really liked several of those.)

Even with Beyonce though, it seems like she is just performing to be performing. Maybe it was because I followed enough black gossip site years ago, but I could have sworn she was going to stop performing altogether. That was like 2 or 3 world tours ago. Plus, she has gotten into this experimental period of her career cause her legacy is already laid. What else can she accomplish? With Taylor Swift, you might as well just not play the Super Bowl.

I think the preference would be a notable artist who has an extensive catalogue with enough crossover hits that would make it appealing. 

5 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

I've lived through the inexplicable (to me) rises of the Spice Girls, Coldplay and Ed Sheeran and it is clear to me that I have know idea what Capital-P People like, I only know what I like. People are fucken weird.

Shape of You is a banger. Ed Sheeran is not my cup of tea,  but I get it. I think Janet Jackson is better at everything Madonna ever attempted,  but I also think Madonna has some great songs. The Spice Girls made some fun pop nonsense, but I get it. Coldplay made love songs for people with low self esteem, which is a larger audience than we acknowledge. Taylor Swift makes music that is just straight,  middle of the road,  average. It isn't that it's bad,  but feel like it is music that kind of just disregards the possibility of excellence. In a world where we all have access to all the music in the world, I don't understand how she rose to the top. 

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Taylor Swift makes music that is just straight,  middle of the road,  average. It isn't that it's bad,  but feel like it is music that kind of just disregards the possibility of excellence. In a world where we all have access to all the music in the world, I don't understand how she rose to the top. 

I cannot speak your music tastes. I definitely assume your tastes are more eclectic than mine, but we ain't exactly her target demo. 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Shape of You is a banger. Ed Sheeran is not my cup of tea,  but I get it. I think Janet Jackson is better at everything Madonna ever attempted,  but I also think Madonna has some great songs. The Spice Girls made some fun pop nonsense, but I get it. Coldplay made love songs for people with low self esteem, which is a larger audience than we acknowledge. Taylor Swift makes music that is just straight,  middle of the road,  average. It isn't that it's bad,  but feel like it is music that kind of just disregards the possibility of excellence. In a world where we all have access to all the music in the world, I don't understand how she rose to the top. 

I think you underestimate how many people enjoy comfortable, middle of the road pop music lol

• Like 2

Taylor Swift is the most listenable of the pop stuff, along with PInk(and most Gaga). I'm not a swiftie, I'm not planning on buying anything of hers, but I'm not turning the station if her stuff comes on.(though I'm almost always on classic rock. . . )

Edited by Kuetsar
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Log said:

Have you seen what Swifties do to the ticket sales of her events? If she plays halftime, we'll have a stadium 3/4 full of people only there to see her.

Actually, that would be kind of fascinating. Do they stay for the second half?

If nothing else, her fans have shown a tremendous ability to fill football stadiums by buying overpriced tickets.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I imagine if Taylor Swift decided she wanted to do the half time show, the NFL would literally throw Usher into rush hour traffic. . . . .

Didn’t they offer it to her, and she (rightfully) turned it down because it’s not a paying gig and she doesn’t need the exposure to sell more tickets? I’d swear I read that.

Edited by Just Adam Bay Bay

47 minutes ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

Didn’t they offer it to her, and she (rightfully) turned it down because it’s not a paying gig and she doesn’t need the exposure to sell more tickets? I’d swear I read that.

Basically - the specific details might chance but yeah, since the NFL basically charges artists to perform, Swift said no

That being said - she has reached the point where if she says she wants to perform at halftime, the NFL will bend over backwards to accommodate (especially since if things keep going the way they are - she will have tangible proof to show the NFL that she can be a draw for them)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Basically - the specific details might chance but yeah, since the NFL basically charges artists to perform, Swift said no

That being said - she has reached the point where if she says she wants to perform at halftime, the NFL will bend over backwards to accommodate (especially since if things keep going the way they are - she will have tangible proof to show the NFL that she can be a draw for them)

Yeah, the whole do it for free thing has always been intriguing. You're not going to see anybody working WrestleMania next year for free.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Is Stevie still performing? I feel like the absolute best possible option is Stevie Wonder. He's the greatest living musician,  and we need to just be giving him his flowers for the rest of his life. 

Yes, I feel like that's more speed as well as my aunts and uncles who haven't purchased any new music since Womack & Womack put out that album that had "Teardrops" on it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yes, I feel like that's more speed as well as my aunts and uncles who haven't purchased any new music since Womack & Womack put out that album that had "Teardrops" on it.

Do you remember when BET did the New Edition movie and it was surprisingly good? They need to do a Womack family movie. If I ran the network,  this shit would have been done long ass time ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, supremebve said:

Do you remember when BET did the New Edition movie and it was surprisingly good? They need to do a Womack family movie. If I ran the network,  this shit would have been done long ass time ago. 

So yeah, I feel like I only knew bits and pieces about the Sam Cooke and Bobby Womack/Valentinos/Peace connection. I just knew that Bobby married Sam's widow and shit went south. Once I delved a bit further, that Shaq meme about "I owe you an apology. I wasn't really familiar with your game..." instantly came to mind. The Womacks definitely rival the DeBarges (although the DeBarge story is probably defacto #1 just in overall sadness), the Pointers, the Troutmans, and the Jacksons in terms of overall toxicity. I mean for example, Linda Womack is technically her own auntie. That's really up there in terms of "yeah, what the hell?" levels.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Is Stevie still performing? I feel like the absolute best possible option is Stevie Wonder. He's the greatest living musician,  and we need to just be giving him his flowers for the rest of his life. 

He never popped up in one of those "we have 13 different acts playing this fifteen minute show" era halftimes, did he?

He also would've been a great fit in the "we are afraid of pop because of 1/2 second of nipple, so here are old legends" era. Certainly would've been better than whatever the fuck The Who was trying to do. (I love The Who and really tried to talk myself into it being good for a long time, but oof)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

He never popped up in one of those "we have 13 different acts playing this fifteen minute show" era halftimes, did he?

He also would've been a great fit in the "we are afraid of pop because of 1/2 second of nipple, so here are old legends" era. Certainly would've been better than whatever the fuck The Who was trying to do. (I love The Who and really tried to talk myself into it being good for a long time, but oof)

I get the sentiment cause that was a time where you had like reunions of Cream, Led Zeppelin (w/ John Paul Jones), and Pink Floyd (w/ Roger Waters) all within a four or five year span. It seem like that was the right time to do it if we had to do our blast from the past British rock halftime show. But hey, at least, Roger Daltrey can say his voice held up longer than Robert Plant who sounds like he was gargling hot rocks once you get past 1980.