DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK ONE

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I know the norm is to think that the most valuable players in the NFL are always QBs but I think Tyreek is more valuable than Tua. If not that, Tyreek Hill is the most valuable non-QB in the NFL.

He won't get much MVP play because (a) he's not a QB and (b) his past. But he's the playmaker WR of this era.

While I agree with most of this, I don't think Tyreek is the best example of this.  Tua's style of play contributes a lot to his success.  Tua is one of the few quarterbacks who is always looking to go downfield.  They complement each other perfectly.  A good example of this is Geno Smith last season.  Geno was excellent last season, and it was all based on the fact that Geno was very aggressive downfield and was great at hitting those passes.  Today, he averaged 4.3 yards per attempt and they got their asses kicked.  It's the cheat code.  If you constantly threaten the defense downfield, the defense has to focus on stopping you deep before they do anything else.  Once a defense doesn't believe that you'll beat them deep, they're probably going to fuck up everything else you try to do.  It's riskier, but the risk is worth the reward.  

Look at the Broncos vs. Raiders game this afternoon.  The Broncos are more talented at almost every position, but they dinked and dunked themselves into a loss.  Russell Wilson had more completions than Jimmy G had attempts, but threw for fewer yards.  Throwing short passes can be effective, but you are closing the talent gap by doing that.  If you are the less talented team, but the more aggressive team you are closing the talent gap even further.  If I have inferior offensive talent that gets 7 yards a pass, and you have superior offensive talent that is getting 5 yards per pass, it doesn't really matter if you're more talented or not.  So, go downfield and challenge the defense.  

Justin Jefferson is my vote for the most valuable non-QB.  Everything the Vikings do on offense is based on Jefferson being completely uncoverable.  They weren't very good last year by any metric, but Jefferson repeatedly did something incredible and they won 13 games.  Saquon is more valuable than Daniel Jones.  They can be a good offense if Saquon is making plays.  When Daniel Jones is at his best, you're still worried he's going to do something to fuck this up more than you're excited that he's about to make a play.  Nick Chubb is probably more valuable than Deshaun Watson.  I thnk the Browns are good and Chubb is easily their best offensive weapon.  Watson was awful last season, and he did more to hurt the Browns offense than help.  Derrick Henry, the running backs in Atlanta, Amon Ra St. Brown, the Tampa receivers, and the 49ers skill position players are all more valuable than their quarterbacks.  

• Like 1

I have really enjoyed the trend in recent years of teams drafting a QB, getting mediocre play out of him his first year or two, and then going out and trading for a legit number one wide receiver and seeing if that, you know, helps.

Bills got Josh Allen Stefon Diggs. Eagles adding AJ Brown to go with Devonta Smith for Hurts. Bears giving it a shot going out and getting DJ Moore for Fields.

It's almost like the old "draft a QB and expect him to instantly elevate the entire team around him" method is flawed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Dean~! is watching this with a big smile on his face from the DVDVR slice of heaven (where you get all the wrestling networks)

I've been watching the Cowboys for a long, long time now. I have never seen a team make their defense look like the 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense. Not a one.

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

if this shutout holds, it'll be the largest shutout in the series history, ahead of the 35-0 Cowboys win in 1995 when the Cowboys won the Super Bowl and the Giants had a game where their fans nearly caused a forfeit by throwing snow

They almost need to call this s**%. Somebody could get killed lol! The Colts game last year was just a bunch of running fast and scoring. This is violence! 

50 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

They almost need to call this s**%. Somebody could get killed lol! The Colts game last year was just a bunch of running fast and scoring. This is violence! 

Bonus asshole points to the official who was out there still bothering to call holding with 50 seconds left in a 40-0 game. Must’ve known he was already behind in the office pool

• Like 1

Tirico & Collinsworth: Haha, man isn't it hilarious that a FOUR-YEAR OLD was playing tackle football, got put into a ridiculous drill, and went home crying? Haha, man, that was hilarious! 

God, they're just so awful. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2