DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

For the record, I do realize that pro wrestler heights/weights are some of the most unreliable numbers in existence. I just got curious after all of the discussion here and looked both guys up. The results were too funny not to share.

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

It's MJF - you're getting a Piper-Bret tribute complete with Max teasing hitting Cole with the ringbell before deciding against it

Calling it now - the finish is Cole picking up the bell and clocking MJF to win the title

On one hand, that would be hideous. OTOH it night be the most amazing double turn ever.

MJF's character development the past couple of months has been completely out of this world. I know they were teasing it a bit last year before he won the title, but him completely leaning into his inner babyface has been absolutely incredible. He would be insane to jump to WWE, because they'd never give an "outsider" anything this meaty to dig into.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, AxB said:

In Beyond Wrestling, they did a gimmick show where the idea was it was a tryout show for a TV Network, so everyone had new gimmicks and matches had lame Sportz Entz storylines (like "Hackman" (Wheeler Yuta) and Christian Casanova (Carmelo Hayes) fought over control of a USB drive). The Hardcore match between Slade and "Mack Hetfield" (Matthew Justice) saw them repeatedly set up hardcore death bumps, only for the Network Executive (Hornswoggle) to come out and say that was too extreme and they couldn't use that.

The only weapon he approved was a Sink Plunger. Only then Hetfield small packaged and pinned Slade before he could use it.

Mack Hetfield was Matt Justice's name in FCW

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

On one hand, that would be hideous. OTOH it night be the most amazing double turn ever.

MJF's character development the past couple of months has been completely out of this world. I know they were teasing it a bit last year before he won the title, but him completely leaning into his inner babyface has been absolutely incredible. He would be insane to jump to WWE, because they'd never give an "outsider" anything this meaty to dig into.

Big agree on that. Everyone always uses the excuse of, 'Oh, they would neuter him in a tightly scripted environment' - but to me, it's less about that, and more about those character nuances you're describing. I made reference to this in a joking sort of way re: the Jack Perry turn, but MJF is another one that I think they would throw into one of Jericho's old suits from '08

Cole seems to be doing everything in his power to limit head trauma both while he is taking moves and when he is on offense. His opponents seem to be doing the same. Cash hit an awesome clothesline this week that landed below Cole’s chest.  

If that means more pump kicks or super kicks so be it. He has clearly proven that he can still connect with an audience while working a very cautious style and I for one love to see it. 

• Like 3

The Superkicks/Pump Kicks work in one very specific way, as a babyface hot tag. Him coming in and clearing out guys with them before they go into things breaking down or a finishing stretch or whatever does work for me. He's pretty good at working the apron and cheerleading too. There's a turn coming one way or another and I don't think Khan would keep Cole in tags anyway, but this is basically the only thing I think he can do well right now in-ring and they should embrace it to the fullest, especially since it protects him physically. Now, if you guys still hate it, I don't know what to tell you. There's not a lot left for the guy!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

The top WWE stars are currently TNA mainstay Eli Drake (age 40) and 3PW superstar Rob Eckos (age 39)

Don't be so sure

What have they done with Drake though? I know LA Knight gets big pops and the fans love him to death, but if previous WWE history is any indication they're just going to punish him for getting over too organically.

As for "top WWE star" Rob Eckos... not only did I literally not know he was even with the company, I don't think I'd survive if you put a gun to my head and told me to pick him out of a lineup.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

What have they done with Drake though? I know LA Knight gets big pops and the fans love him to death, but if previous WWE history is any indication they're just going to punish him for getting over too organically.

As for "top WWE star" Rob Eckos... not only did I literally not know he was even with the company, I don't think I'd survive if you put a gun to my head and told me to pick him out of a lineup.

I love how he claims a reject from TNA that’s on NXT as a parody of Tony Khan is a “top star”. Robert Stone isn’t remotely over or anywhere near star level. 

The true top stars are Roman, Seth, Both USOs, Judgment Day (as a whole), and Sami/KO. Hell you can tell Jey Uso is over when Ian tried stealing his nickname for Ricky Starks on Collision this week (Main Event). And before someone gets their panties in a wad no “Stroke Daddy” isn’t a bigger star nor does he have more IT factor than Jey Uso. Just because Drew wants Ricky to stroke him doesn’t mean he’s that level.

6 minutes ago, LF2 said:

And before someone gets their panties in a wad no “Stroke Daddy” isn’t a bigger star nor does he have more IT factor than Jey Uso

Consider me fully wadded! I've gotta strongly respectfully disagree on that one. And that's nothing against an Uso whatsoever - I just think Starks' stock is on the rise huge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The Superkicks/Pump Kicks work in one very specific way, as a babyface hot tag. Him coming in and clearing out guys with them before they go into things breaking down or a finishing stretch or whatever does work for me. He's pretty good at working the apron and cheerleading too. There's a turn coming one way or another and I don't think Khan would keep Cole in tags anyway, but this is basically the only thing I think he can do well right now in-ring and they should embrace it to the fullest, especially since it protects him physically. Now, if you guys still hate it, I don't know what to tell you. There's not a lot left for the guy!

They go to get their haircut. BAM. Super kick through a window. Profit.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Like Satham suplexing the entire Elite team at the same time, or something?

I can see Kenny on his shoulders punching his head from behind and getting electric chair dropped while the Bucks get suplexed. 

Since Cole's kicks got brought up, I saw one that was like six inches away from someone's face on Saturday. There was another incredibly obvious and ridiculous whiff earlier but I can't recall who did what, made the point on the Discord with both that they'll end up on Botchamania for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Consider me fully wadded! I've gotta strongly respectfully disagree on that one. And that's nothing against an Uso whatsoever - I just think Starks' stock is on the rise huge.

I do think Starks will be a star too. I just don’t think he’ll hit the levels that Jey is presently hitting. Then again my favorite wrestler that seems to be exclusive to Collision is Jay White so maybe I’m just being critical that he’s not getting the push opposite of Punk. 

And thank you for being respectful. I like being able to have a nice discussion whenever possible.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can see Kenny on his shoulders punching his head from behind and getting electric chair dropped while the Bucks get suplexed. 

Since Cole's kicks got brought up, I saw one that was like six inches away from someone's face on Saturday. There was another incredibly obvious and ridiculous whiff earlier but I can't recall who did what, made the point on the Discord with both that they'll end up on Botchamania for sure. 

Until TK/Aubry gets it taken down ... 

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. Who's Aubry (identity is on the tip of my brain but won't process)

2. Is TK really bitching at Maffew and having that done? 

1. Aubrey Edwards, AEW referee.

2. Don't know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Thank you! And, I have no idea why she would want it taken down. TK I can see, but her? 

She got outed for doing DMCA takedowns a while back

Jon Barber was a similar tryhard anti-piracy stooge back in the day

edit - read the insanity yourself

https://jonbarber.weebly.com/anti-piracy.html

Edited by Dolphman 3000