DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

8 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This is what I want Rampage to be, stuff like this. Completely sensible matches that pull on wrestling lore outside of what's consistently presented on Dynamite. Matches for the die-hards, or the god-bless-em nerd kids along for the ride who don't have Friday plans. Stuff for the fans who stay until 11PM. Nyla/Shida shoulda been Dynamite, PAC/Gravity shoulda been Rampage, etc.

What is the AEW worldwide match they could air on Rampage? What is their version of Macho Man v Lizmark Jr?

• Like 1

I’ll have my thoughts on the full show eventually, but it looks an awful lot to me like Britt was out there sandbagging Taya. I hope she’s a better dentist than she is a worker…

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Or a really shitty, long-forgotten D-list tag champ from the Eastern Championship Wrestling days like Tony Stetson or Johnny Hotbody.

You got a long list of wwecw champs on your roster right now. Big Show, Mark Henry, Johnny Q, Hager, Matt Hardy. Could probably have a lot of fun between those guys and guys like tafka Zeke Jackson & Chavo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, just drew said:

You got a long list of wwecw champs on your roster right now. Big Show, Mark Henry, Johnny Q, Hager, Matt Hardy. Could probably have a lot of fun between those guys and guys like tafka Zeke Jackson & Chavo.

You forgot Christian.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, just drew said:

Don't forget Punk! I went with Matt Hardy because he's a face and the only one that wouldn't kayfabe have Jack running scared.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 8:49 PM, Matt D said:

After the chants he got at Royal Rampage, I have a pitch for a Daddy Magic face turn but the endgame is Menard/Wight vs Parker/Comoroto at the All In pre-show, so I doubt anyone is on board.

I for one will never ever forget what they took from us when they canceled the YouTube shows. Imagine the level of shit talking coming out of that man’s mouth if he knows he has big Paul as his back up

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aussie Open vs Komander & Vikingo for the ROH tag titles on Dynamite 200 next week.

🤯🤯🤯

TK cookin’ now. I’ll forgive the fact that the three way No DQ match exists now. Gahdamn.

EDIT: Toni vs Hikaru will be a banger. After that awful Britt/Taya match, let these two just go to war. Please.

Kiera/Martinez on Collision will be really good too, hopefully. I suspect the crowd will be pretty silent for it however.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5

Fairly skippable Rampage, if you are feeling the G1/five hours of AEW burn.

If you've got the energy, though:

Battle Royal was fun. Sets up a good match for the future. Ending of Kip vs Komander was spectacular. Shida vs Nyla was a million times better than Britt vs Taya. Aussie Open vs Vikingo & Komander announced for Dynamite 200!

Honestly, I'd like to skip Collision tomorrow, but

"MJF & Adam Cole challenge champions FTR for the AEW World Tag Team Titles. Andrade El Idolo and Buddy Matthews compete in a ladder match for Andrade El Idolo's mask. In Trios action, Bullet Club Gold's Juice Robinson & The Gunns face El Hijo Del Vikingo, Darius Martin & Action Andretti" (per Fite) all sound good.

I am pretty curious to see what will happen in the tag match, and that trios is a nutzoid, only-in-AEW thing, and Buddy Matthews is great and I don't remember ever seeing him in a singles ladder match. 

There's a pretty good UFC card tomorrow after Collision, too.

Henare vs Finlay and Yano vs Cobb are the first two matches on the G1 card tomorrow. Probably gonna at least watch those two. Kind of nutziod, only-in-the-G1 matches that should both be really fun in COMPLETELY different ways.

Edit: PLUS Natch just posted a link to a two-hour FTR in AEW compilation video! Yowza! Edit 2: Butcher & Blade with hair wearing all white! Pandemic-era quiet matches! Memories light the corners of my mind. Misty, water-coloured memories...🎶

Also the new McDonald's shaka shaka potato flavour is sour creme and onion! I never imagined that we might get that some day. Went to McD's for the first time in MONTHS yesterday. Cheeseburger flavour shaka shaka and Lotteria's butter shoyu furu potai are both better, but sc&o makes a solid third best Japanese flavoured fries on Gordlow's list.

Creme or cream! It's cream, right? 

Grew up in Canada. Everything had French and English labels.

ANYWAY, too much of a good thing recently is what I think I am trying to say here. In a normal week this Rampage would not have seemed skippable.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like Rampage now seemingly coming to grips with being the successor of AEW Dark and embracing it, with ROH taking up some of the slack as well.  I mean that in the best way possible.  In other news, I also miss Daddy Magic on commentary.  

Kip Sabian is someone who deserves a much bigger spotlight.  

I am completely fine with Hikaru Shida beating Toni Storm. 

Edited by Evil Otto
  • Like 2

In the US it's cream. 

I felt this was pretty skippable too. Good finish on Komander/Kip but the match itself never felt like it got out of 2nd gear. (I also just do not like Kip Sabian for no reason.) For someone who ended up being half of the battle royale winners, Cage wasn't wanting to do sheeeeyit -- watch him walk around doing nothing and at one point just leaning against the ropes talking to Luther with the camera staring right at them. Butcher and Blade sure are Company Men for being willing to lose in every single match. You think they'd win at least one of these royales but nope. I suppose Nyla/Shida was good enough but they've had chances to practice this match. I'd like Nyla to win one of them sometime... 

Tomorrow should be fun! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rampage was all right tonight. I figured The Hardy's would win the tag battle royal and was pleasantly surprised with BIG BILL and Brian Cage winning.

Shida vs. Rose was a good match. I also figured they were setting up Toni Storm vs. Shida for ALL IN. Maybe we'll still get that, but gotta get through epsiode 200 first.

• Like 1

Hey, they were in Albany tonight... STEAMED HAMS~!

It was nice finally seeing Singh in competition even though he did everything every other big man has ever done in a battle royale. I missed his elimination so I'm guessing he got teamed up on by like seven guys and flipped over, right?

• Like 1

Rampage was a step up this week. Fun battle royale, cool that Team Big Machine continues.

Kip’s Tim Burton meets MCR look is cool but that character on his leg bugs me cause it reminds me of a Cartoon Network character that I can’t place.

Kommander always good for a few WOWZA spots

nice to see The Kingdom pop up

and it wouldn’t be a Rampage women’s main event with out Marina blowing a spot or two. Nyla needs a character reboot on the worst way

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

In the US it's cream. 

I felt this was pretty skippable too. Good finish on Komander/Kip but the match itself never felt like it got out of 2nd gear. (I also just do not like Kip Sabian for no reason.) For someone who ended up being half of the battle royale winners, Cage wasn't wanting to do sheeeeyit -- watch him walk around doing nothing and at one point just leaning against the ropes talking to Luther with the camera staring right at them. Butcher and Blade sure are Company Men for being willing to lose in every single match. You think they'd win at least one of these royales but nope. I suppose Nyla/Shida was good enough but they've had chances to practice this match. I'd like Nyla to win one of them sometime... 

Royally rotten Rampage this week, but with this line-up was there aaannny doubt? I wish to exclude the awesome getting more awesome Kommander and 'underdogs' Bennett and Taven from this criticism. The Battle Royal! Tony fuckin' loves Battle Royals! As Curt said above, and I kinda like Cage, but he was fucking awful in this match. I would suggest Luther deserves his half on that terrible visual. This week's Battle Royal seemed intent on topping Taya-Baker for Worst of the Week. So much did not click. Brutal bump from Matt Hardy there on the elimination. Ya know, Butcher looks great, we all like him, but sometimes, if we're truly honest, he looks really lousy in there. Case in point, those awful punches on Big Bill during the closing stretch. And his inability to take the clothesline to finish the match. Some of the BIll/Cage tandem offense looked so flimsy. Neat to hear Albany get behind Big Bill. Kommander v Sabian. I too have no interest in Kip Sabian. He has no crediblity at this point. He's certainly a solid hand, but should be handle by anybody on the roster in under 5. All that said, I'd actually like to see what Sabian might look like after a couple years in Japan. Whatever the case, It's long been time to let him spread his wings elswhere for awhile. I dug the Kingdom squash. Sadly no bathing beauty Maria tonight. I'm really hoping they're fed some teams and given a run at the AEW Tag Titles. I don't need a win, but an FTR-Kingdom  bout with a little time would no doubt be truly excellent. Surely, Dax and Cash are aware of this. Further, they teased that match without delivering at the Toronto Rampage in October of 2022. That's some Keith Lee-Swerve style booking right there. Shida v Nyla is not for me. Skimmed it. Shida-Toni is a fine TV match, but not at all something I would PAY to view. Fun Collision card. Unlikely Mercedes v Kiera keeps the audience, but I'm interested. Also, stoked for Aussie Open v Kommander/Vikingo on Dino-might!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Holy sh**, just watched that Baker VS Taya match... They weren't even in the same universe. 

Either Britt is sabotaging folks on purpose or she’s forgotten how to work.

• Like 1

Perhaps we were too harsh on Painted Pedro.

Big Bill and Brain Cage maintaining their random draw tag team status is messing up the factions. Bill was teaming with Lee Moriarty as two guys who'd been in The Firm together. Cage is in Mogul Embassy and co-holds the ROH six man titles with Kaun and Toa Liona. 

Now, adding Big Bill to the Mogul Embassy wouldn't be the worst decision. But the timing isn't great, they just added AR Fox.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 3