DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 PRESEASON

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

This isn't a disagreement so much at most a random statement, but Jacoby Brisset's numbers over the last several years point to a guy who probably should be starting somewhere.

Jacoby Brissett was significantly better than Deshaun Watson was last season, and not just as a human.  The issue with Brissett is that you see how low the ceiling is in every single game.  If he's your starter, you need to be looking for an upgrade, but he's easily one of the best 32 quarterbacks.  If you need a quarterback, Brisset doesn't help you.  He's just a guy filling in until you find someone better, the problem is that he's going to win some games.  If you need a quarterback, having a quarterback fucking up your draft positioning for his replacement is a liability, not an asset.  So, I hope Commando fans like watching Sam Howell, because he's playing no matter what.  He's either going to swim or they're going to ride his bloated corpse as he drowns.  It would be malpractice to do anything else.  Brissett is a speed bump for your future, you're on the same damn street, but you are going to get to your destination slower.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, supremebve said:

So, I hope Commando fans like watching Sam Howell, because he's playing no matter what.  He's either going to swim or they're going to ride his bloated corpse as he drowns.  It would be malpractice to do anything else.  Brissett is a speed bump for your future, you're on the same damn street, but you are going to get to your destination slower.  

But remember that Rivera's in the last year of his contract with a brand new owner who has let their team management fire head coaches (like Doc Rivers).  So what happens if, say, Howell looks lost and Washington starts 0-4?  You bet your ass that Rivera's going to turn to Brissett to save his job.

5 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

But remember that Rivera's in the last year of his contract with a brand new owner who has let their team management fire head coaches (like Doc Rivers).  So what happens if, say, Howell looks lost and Washington starts 0-4?  You bet your ass that Rivera's going to turn to Brissett to save his job.

For what it's worth, I'm speaking on what is the logical thing to do if you are thinking about the future of your franchise.  Ron Rivera and logic don't seem to have ever met each other, and both may spontaneously combust if they're ever in the same place at the same time.  If the Commandos are smart, and that is one massively large if, they'd fire his ass as soon as he thought about putting Brissett in the game.  They already have Rivera's successor on staff, and the only thing Rivera is coaching for is his next job.  He doesn't need to win, he needs to show he can not fuck up the program.  That team has a shitload of skill position talent, and if Howell can play a little bit he'll look like he can play a lot a bit.  Between the Commandos and the Falcons, there are not many better "prove-it" situations.  They both seem to have everything lined up for an explosive offense, it's up to their young quarterbacks to prove they can hack it.  The only reason to replace either of them is injury.  Let them either rise to the occasion or crash and burn, but going 8-9 is just wasting a cheap year for the young talent you've accumulated.  In the words of a fairly terrible coach, "You play to win the game," but you probably shouldn't listen to that advice if you don't know who your quarterback is.  You should probably play to figure out what you're doing with your quarterback.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Ron Rivera and logic don't seem to have ever met each other, and both may spontaneously combust if they're ever in the same place at the same time.  If the Commandos are smart, and that is one massively large if, they'd fire his ass as soon as he thought about putting Brissett in the game.  

RIVERBOAT RON~!

Yeah, having lived through the Jacoby Brissett Experience (tm)... unless Howell has a bone sticking out of his leg, once you hand the keys to him, you do not under any circumstances, give them to Brissett.   

Jacoby really should be backing up someone like Allen, Mahomes, or Lawrence.  Someone that no one will ever accuse him of being "better than", but will also not lose you a game when you have an emergency. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

RIVERBOAT RON~!

Yeah, having lived through the Jacoby Brissett Experience (tm)... unless Howell has a bone sticking out of his leg, once you hand the keys to him, you do not under any circumstances, give them to Brissett.   

Jacoby really should be backing up someone like Allen, Mahomes, or Lawrence.  Someone that no one will ever accuse him of being "better than", but will also not lose you a game when you have an emergency. 

Based on history, please do not let that happen to Sam Howell.  You are playing with fire right now, and I don't wish to see another burgundy and gold leg-snapping video.

• Haha 2

FWIW, Brisset was 8th in QBR last year.

He also has the third best interception rate in the league since he entered the NFL, only behind Rodgers and Brady.

I don't disagree Washington is probably better off losing more games than he would allow, but I maintain he's a top 15 QB and with the right team he could thrive. 

Edited by Brian Fowler

I don't think Washington can possibly lose enough to make it worth their while.   As of right now in college.  Maybe there are a couple more QB's that rise up and can be a top 5 draft pick.  But right now if you can't be the worst it isn't worth it.  And Arizona is trying way way way harder to be awful this year.

13 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I don't think Washington can possibly lose enough to make it worth their while.   As of right now in college.  Maybe there are a couple more QB's that rise up and can be a top 5 draft pick.  But right now if you can't be the worst it isn't worth it.  And Arizona is trying way way way harder to be awful this year.

I agree with this.  I think they legitimately hope that Sam Howell is good enough to win with Bieniemy, the skill position talent, and their defense.  They haven't been good in a while, but they are kind of stacked on offense.  Howell doesn't have to be Mahomes, they will win if he's a more athletic Kirk Cousins.  If he's bad though, he can lose them games.  From what I understand, his college tape is a whole lot of chucking the ball downfield, taking off running, and a rollercoaster ride of great throws, gutsy runs, and a whole lot of recklessness.  I think they are on the shortlist of most fun teams going into the season, but their range of outcomes is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The NFL and WWE announced some deal to sell relica logo title belts. 

31 of 32 teams available. 

🙂

Welcome to yesterday and last page 🤣

• Haha 2

Dolphins are trading.....  Noah Igbinoghene to Dallas for Kelvin Joseph.  

Got about 20 minutes to go on the JT front.    But thank god I won't have to spell Igbinoghene again.  

No trade offer has apparently been good enough for Indianapolis.  

They have not activated Jonathan Taylor from the PUP list, so he's now unavailable to anyone before Week 5.  

His trade demand still stands. 

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

No trade offer has apparently been good enough for Indianapolis.  

They have not activated Jonathan Taylor from the PUP list, so he's now unavailable to anyone before Week 5.  

His trade demand still stands. 

I think the biggest issue with Jonathan Taylor and why I wouldn't trade for him is that he seems to be injured a whole lot. Is this the same ankle injury? Is it the mysterious back injury? Is his body failing him already? 

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Pats have cut Bailey Zappe.   That means there is only one QB on their roster right now. 

Mac Jones. 

Knowing Belichick He'll just put a D lineman in the backup spot. . . 

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's Cut Down Day in the NFL.   Everyone has until 5pm today to get to 53 players. 

Thought for sure Jax was his best option for sticking in the league, with his history with the coaches. Wonder if he tries to stick around the NFL like Streveler or if he heads back to BC? Fuck the BC Lions

• Like 1

Doug Pederson had to cut his own son, Josh today.  

Also, take this with a BUNCH of grains of salt.   But the redditor who broke CMC to the Niners last year, says SF is trading Joey Bosa to the Jets. 

21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

FWIW, Brisset was 8th in QBR last year.

He also averages barely 1 TD pass per game. Any good numbers from him are a mirage. 

• Like 1

Other random roster notes

Will Grier signed with the Bengals (to the practice squad)

The Steelers kept 2 punters but are trying to trade one which... well... good luck with that

Vikings are signing Myles Gaskin directly to the active roster

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

He also averages barely 1 TD pass per game. Any good numbers from him are a mirage. 

Yeah,  as much as I enjoyed his portion of the Browns season,  he's clearly a flawed quarterback. He was great between the 20s, but he was kind of a disaster in the red zone. He's just good enough that he is clearly an NFL caliber quarterback,  but you'll be frustrated unless your team signs a sexual deviant to replace him. 

• Like 1