DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 PRESEASON

RIPPA

And now the Colts are reportedly considering moving Taylor from the PUP list to the Non-Football Injury list due to him having back pain from before camp started (Taylor has denied that he has back pain or that he reported having it to the team)

If he's placed on the NFI list all season then the Colts don't have to pay him a dime this year and his contract tolls so next year instead of getting the 10 or 11 million from the franchise tag they could have him back next year at the 4.3 million he's owed this year.

He's still recovering from the ankle injury and surgery he had last season.

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

And now the Colts are reportedly considering moving Taylor from the PUP list to the Non-Football Injury list due to him having back pain from before camp started (Taylor has denied that he has back pain or that he reported having it to the team)

If he's placed on the NFI list all season then the Colts don't have to pay him a dime this year and his contract tolls so next year instead of getting the 10 or 11 million from the franchise tag they could have him back next year at the 4.3 million he's owed this year.

He's still recovering from the ankle injury and surgery he had last season.

Without any insider information whatsoever, my guess is that the Colts are "calling his bluff" if they think Taylor shouldn't be on the PUP list but he is milking it just so he doesn't have to practice/show he is unhappy. I can't see any other logical reason (even if its still questionable tactics) they'd be threatening NFI as obviously his other injuries are related to last season so PUP would be the right spot for him.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Without any insider information whatsoever, my guess is that the Colts are "calling his bluff" if they think Taylor shouldn't be on the PUP list but he is milking it just so he doesn't have to practice/show he is unhappy. I can't see any other logical reason (even if its still questionable tactics) they'd be threatening NFI as obviously his other injuries are related to last season so PUP would be the right spot for him.

My guess is they think he's going to be either unable to play or limited for at least a fair bit of the season, and they are pissed that he requested the trade, so they are trying to save money and fuck him over.

If they are just lying about him saying he has a back injury from the off-season then that's a dangerous game to play.

• Like 1

Apparently Dan Campbell asked Detroit's owner Sheila Ford for permission to have a real lion on the sidelines as a team mascot.   

Sheila declined, but only because the league wouldn't allow it.    I cannot begin to imagine how well this could have gone.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Apparently Dan Campbell asked Detroit's owner Sheila Ford for permission to have a real lion on the sidelines as a team mascot.   

Sheila declined, but only because the league wouldn't allow it.    I cannot begin to imagine how well this could have gone.

Every once in a while, Campbell seems determined to make me think he's a clown. 

• Haha 2

The lion is definitely a bad idea. Mainly because I can totally see the team being down at halftime and Campbell trying to get the handlers to let him fight the lion to get them pumped up for the second half.

23 hours ago, Tabe said:

Every once in a while, Campbell seems determined to make me think he's a clown. 

I root for Dan Campbell specifically because I want everybody to have to figure out how to say this giant meat head is smart. He also seems to be a really genuine,  caring person, despite being 3/4s caveman.  I feel like we need more characters in sports,  and he's a great one. 

• Like 5

Part of Campbell’s ongoing success also rides on as many people as possible seeing him as a caveman first and a coach second. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s planted the story in the press himself to ensure the Lions and him continue to be considered kind of a joke.  So much of the non-Detroit media last year were still obsessed with the kneecaps line that was, by that point, a year and a half old. 

21 hours ago, Ingobernable said:

Part of Campbell’s ongoing success also rides on as many people as possible seeing him as a caveman first and a coach second. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s planted the story in the press himself to ensure the Lions and him continue to be considered kind of a joke.  So much of the non-Detroit media last year were still obsessed with the kneecaps line that was, by that point, a year and a half old. 

Campbell,  if nothing else,  has the respect of his players. Despite what most people believe,  players at this level aren't going to tolerate a coach who is all bluster.  Josh McDaniels has failed once and is going to fail again,  because his players don't respect him. He's been to who knows how many Super Bowls as an offensive coordinator,  but he gains no credibility as a head coach. He basically threw Derek Carr out with the bathwater and then traded Waller because he wasn't invited to his wedding. He a clown and played see straight through him. Campbell might be a fool to us,  but I haven't seen any evidence at all that his players question his leadership. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2023 at 3:44 PM, Kuetsar said:

WYTS on defector starting with the Bears. . . 

The Falcons one had its share of “Georgia’s a natty-caliber team now, why am I wasting time with the Falcons?” posts.

I anticipate the Cleveland one next week will either be sparse or have a lot of “how I spent my fall not caring about the Browns since they signed Watson” posts.

Jon Gruden is "helping" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) to coach Derek Carr as he takes over the reigns in New Orleans.  

This is apparently out of the goodness of his heart because the Saints are not paying him.   Or maybe he gets free hurricanes and hand grenades on Bourbon. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jon Gruden is "helping" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) to coach Derek Carr as he takes over the reigns in New Orleans.  

This is apparently out of the goodness of his heart because the Saints are not paying him.   Or maybe he gets free hurricanes and hand grenades on Bourbon. 

Goodell will ban him from being in proximity to NFL players.

Bryce is getting local love down here in the Raleigh area. People near Charlotte say that he's brought some of the buzz back when Cam first started blowing up. Apparently, he's already giving presentations to the offensive line:

Wofford College, Spartanburg, one night early in Panthers’ training camp, offensive players and coaches in a meeting room, a vital two hours for a new coaching staff and an offense with potentially new players at every skill position. “Pizza and Protections,” it’s called, with a stack of hot pizzas on hand to make it a relaxed setting. How will this offensive line block regular and “exotic” fronts, and what terminology will be used to call it in the huddle? New coaches from different systems— head coach Frank Reich, line coach James Campen, QB coach Josh McCown, coordinator Thomas Brown—have to agree on the details and verbiage and adopt them. Important night.

Before the meeting, Campen and McCown approached Reich. “Coach,” McCown said, “do you mind if Bryce facilitates? He wants to do it.”

Bryce Young, the rookie quarterback, 22 years old, wanted to run the meeting with 35 players and nine coaches. Reich was stunned to hear this. But he figured, Why not? This guy is more advanced than any rookie I’ve coached.

“How’d he do?” I asked.

“Phenomenal. Flawless. Flawless. He knew everything,” Reich said. “It was a pretty amazing night.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-training-camp-tua-tagovailoa-panthers-fmia-peter-king?cid=fmiatw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

Bryce is getting local love down here in the Raleigh area. People near Charlotte say that he's brought some of the buzz back when Cam first started blowing up. Apparently, he's already giving presentations to the offensive line:

Wofford College, Spartanburg, one night early in Panthers’ training camp, offensive players and coaches in a meeting room, a vital two hours for a new coaching staff and an offense with potentially new players at every skill position. “Pizza and Protections,” it’s called, with a stack of hot pizzas on hand to make it a relaxed setting. How will this offensive line block regular and “exotic” fronts, and what terminology will be used to call it in the huddle? New coaches from different systems— head coach Frank Reich, line coach James Campen, QB coach Josh McCown, coordinator Thomas Brown—have to agree on the details and verbiage and adopt them. Important night.

Before the meeting, Campen and McCown approached Reich. “Coach,” McCown said, “do you mind if Bryce facilitates? He wants to do it.”

Bryce Young, the rookie quarterback, 22 years old, wanted to run the meeting with 35 players and nine coaches. Reich was stunned to hear this. But he figured, Why not? This guy is more advanced than any rookie I’ve coached.

“How’d he do?” I asked.

“Phenomenal. Flawless. Flawless. He knew everything,” Reich said. “It was a pretty amazing night.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-training-camp-tua-tagovailoa-panthers-fmia-peter-king?cid=fmiatw

If I were Carolina fan, I’d still be terrified every time Bryce gets hit. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

“How’d he do?” I asked.

Color me skeptical. 

Always always always beware the "player x looks phenomenal in camp" stories.

They might be true, they might not. It might have any bearing on how they'll actually play, it might not.

I don't think I've ever seen a stadium that quite captures the "gentrified abandoned factory district" aesthetic quite like this:

And yeah, they're clearly gonna get a Super Bowl or three before that stadium is done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I don't think I've ever seen a stadium that quite captures the "gentrified abandoned factory district" aesthetic quite like this:

And yeah, they're clearly gonna get a Super Bowl or three before that stadium is done.

Looks like a Playstation 2

• Like 6
  • Haha 1