DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think part of the issue is wrestling occupies a different space than it did for our childhood/teenage/early adult years. Moreover, I don't know if this age where kayfabe isn't a thing allows for us to invest as emotionally as folks probably should be invested.

For example, the David Von Erich Memorial Show/1st Von Erich Memorial Parade of Champions show. It wasn't the best wrestling card ever and also like 2/3 of the stadium is entirely empty and visible. That reaction to Kerry beating Flair for the NWA title even though he lost it back like 3 weeks later is still an all time moment in wrestling history. You are willing to forgive the mediocre wrestling and that they're shooting the empty seats.

AEW is uniquely terrible at capturing moments. They're very good at moving on to the next thing quickly. Where there are mythological moments, it's often due to fans creating their own videos and (frankly) how obsessed the Elite fans tend to be along these lines.

That's exactly why I think MJF/Cole vs Page/Omega should main even the thing, because the fans will make it matter and become an important part of canon even if the company more or less fails to pull it off.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sparkleface said:

I too never do things because of hypotheticals. It's why I didn't go to work today. We might have been invaded by aliens.

AN ALIEN IS AEW CHAMPION! IT'S ALREADY HAPPENED!

GET RED PILLED FOR GOD'S SAKE!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Whenever Tony gets around to telling us.  If he treats this like an ROH PPV I just have to laugh... Excalibur blurting out a bunch of randomly put together stuff the night before the event would be on brand for Khan. 

We're literally more than a full month out from the show.

Edit: Ok, not more than 30 days, but still over four weeks out.

Edited by Log
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Log said:

We're literally more than a full month out from the show.

There's 4 episodes of Dynamite before All In.  I'm not concerned much about the Collision side of things because Punk probably has a decent enough idea of what he'd like to do for the show (assuming he will be there) and then FTR will likely have a good match lined up.   It's more the Dynamite side where I'm like,  okay what are they doing here.  Why are we introducing more guys who do flips when they already have a dozen of those types who don't get air time and why are we still pushing Britt Baker front and center to have bad matches with Taya at the 9 o'clock hour.  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Whenever Tony gets around to telling us.  If he treats this like an ROH PPV I just have to laugh... Excalibur blurting out a bunch of randomly put together stuff the night before the event would be on brand for Khan. 

If they announce the card the night before, that would be on Collision. Which runs from 1am-3am UK time. All In starts at 6pm according to the tickets. Announcing the card with under 18 hours to go would be unlikely.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

AEW is uniquely terrible at capturing moments. They're very good at moving on to the next thing quickly. Where there are mythological moments, it's often due to fans creating their own videos and (frankly) how obsessed the Elite fans tend to be along these lines.

That's exactly why I think MJF/Cole vs Page/Omega should main even the thing, because the fans will make it matter and become an important part of canon even if the company more or less fails to pull it off.

I think when we're talking about moments, you can come up with a bunch of things that should be moments on paper that don't end half as good as you expect. Doesn't help that you started off by building a promotion around catering to a boutique wrestling mold and an extremely cynical fanbase. Inherently, those moments are going to be few and far between. 

I am a fan of film. That have been a bunch of films especially recently with the perfect ensemble cast, the best cinematography, the best sound, and a host of award winning screenwriters. Many of those films have ended up being a well shot, well acted, great sounding, and strongly written piece of crap. So any booker probably has the capacity to put it on paper. Until it comes together, then it ain't a moment.

• Like 3

Just now, AxB said:

If they announce the card the night before, that would be on Collision. Which runs from 1am-3am UK time. All In starts at 6pm according to the tickets. Announcing the card with under 18 hours to go would be unlikely.

I don't think they'll wait that late but I do feel Tony believes for some odd reason that building up matches ahead of time doesn't make a difference..  when clearly it does. Everyone likes good matches but to be invested in the promotion and keep coming back to it every week and to buy the PPVs it needs to be more than that. 

Some will say well I just want AEW to be like WWE... no.  There's a happy medium between the way WWE does things and the PWG model and I think AEW is far too close to PWG where it's just like "here's a guy who can wrestle and here's another guy who is good too, let's put it together!"  That's not really how things work. 

• Like 1

For me if I just want matches I have means of seeing them, if I’m going to follow a promotion weekly I want to engage with the stories. It’s tuning in with the idea of “I wonder what the gangs up to this week”

re:Jericho v Osprey it would all depend if Jericho has the self awareness to realize he can’t keep up with his younger counterpart 

30 minutes ago, Log said:

I mean, I'm not super excited about Jericho/Osprey, but I'm assuming there'll be other matches on the card, right?

Someone used this match being rumoured as the basis for assuming the Elite must be done in the company. So maybe not! Or maybe it's an New Japan MSG situation, which probably means MJF's challenger is going to be Taven! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Someone used this match being rumoured as the basis for assuming the Elite must be done in the company. So maybe not! Or maybe it's an New Japan MSG situation, which probably means MJF's challenger is going to be Taven! 

MJF/Cole vs The Kingdom is a match I didn't know I wanted.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

Unless they taped the 8/26 Collision after the live 8/19 one, as of right now there’s not even a Collision show scheduled for the day before All In.

• Like 1

It was said that the Collision before All In wouldn't be happening in the UK. But with the logistics of moving people across continents, I could see it being a pre-taped show rather than a live one. Or if it is live, it'll be using the bits of the roster who aren't booked on Wembley.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

It was said that the Collision before All In wouldn't be happening in the UK. But with the logistics of moving people across continents, I could see it being a pre-taped show rather than a live one. Or if it is live, it'll be using the bits of the roster who aren't booked on Wembley.

Baseless speculation, but maybe it works out to where you could do a live Rampage/taped Collision on Friday and get everyone over there Saturday morning (EST) in time for Sunday

Edit: This is assuming it will be an 8 PM UK-time start (3 PM EST/12 PM PST)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

22 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Nothing could have prepared me for what’s in that spoiler tag 

Just so I don't get lumped in with the people who think the sky is falling because this match is booked, I'll expand:

It's hilarious that Jericho has gotten himself booked with a hot act at another big show out of the blue, especially when people had been fantasy booking that guy elsewhere. The Clout Vampire sinking his teeth into another victim is, spiritually, a very AEW thing to happen on this show. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I do want to reiterate that what has me most excited is Jericho's reaction to everyone's negative reaction.

A good time to bring this up - Willow did an interview earlier this week where she was asked about Mercedes breaking her leg during their match and how she felt. Willow refused to break kayfabe in the interview and said that while the injury was unfortunate, she was happy to win since that's the point of competition.

Jericho's known to toot his own horn about every goddamn thing - I remember after his initial Wrestle Kingdom match with Kenny a few years ago, his bright idea was to release a podcast 2 days later where him and Kenny revealed every detail about how they planned the match out.

We need more Willows in the world.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Baseless speculation, but maybe it works out to where you could do a live Rampage/taped Collision on Friday and get everyone over there Saturday morning (EST) in time for Sunday

Edit: This is assuming it will be an 8 PM UK-time start (3 PM EST/12 PM PST)

They’re taping Rampage that Wednesday, like usual.

• Like 1

A very easy way to tie All In/Out together would be have Cole/MJF win the tag titles and get beat down by FTR and Punk to solidify Punk as a heel. Storyline wise, it would be more logical to run a 6-man at IN with Cole/MJF/??? vs. CMFTR. Mystery partner ends up being Kenny or Hangman. Then you do Punk/MJF at OUT for the title.

BUT, since crowd reactions and moments have to supersede storyline logic sometimes, I propose doing it in reverse. MJF/Punk as MJF's signature win at IN, then treat OUT like Canadian Stampede in Chicago. The babyfaces get their moments, the heels get their moment (as faces) and everyone is happy.

If Danielson is ready, you have to run him vs. ZSJ before it's too late. If not, why not just run ZSJ vs. Ospreay and let the Brits go nuts?

• Like 2

I think the Jericho/Ospreay rumor has people thinking that bump hurt Sting more than he let on, because it looked like they were clearly booking toward a Jericho/Sting match and this show would be the prime candidate.

• Like 3