DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

For those of you who were there, how full was the building? There's been quite a lot of kvetching about AEW's ticket sales and territory fatigue so I'm wondering what the actual turnouts were like for the Toronto shows.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

For those of you who were there, how full was the building? There's been quite a lot of kvetching about AEW's ticket sales and territory fatigue so I'm wondering what the actual turnouts were like for the Toronto shows.

I'd say 85-90% full. Lot of open seats on the side hard cam is set up. For the most part though it seemed pretty full. Which makes me think those seats would actually be pretty damn good to have. Nice and close to the action.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimLivingston said:

Broken arm for Danielson, out 6-8 weeks. Wrestled last 10 minutes with it.

It's a fractured forearm, but yeah, that sucks. His new ring gear should just be bubble wrap at this point. He was injured before & during the MJF match apparently as well.

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Danielson may have won the match, but it rained tonight in Toronto. Walking home from the battlegrounds in a heavy summer rain was cleansing after such a monumental evening of Wrestling and Romance. Holy Fucking Ganso Bomb!

The RainMaker definitely brought the lightning and thunder after the show! 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Renee said 14,000+ on the pre-show.

• Like 1

Just now, TimLivingston said:

I’m now pretty convinced the seizure spot was on the fly considering it was right after the elbow drop. And that his quip about the magician not revealing his secrets was along those lines. 

Done to get the doctor to look at it? Good seeing you here again btw.

• Like 2

Just now, TimLivingston said:

I’m now pretty convinced the seizure spot was on the fly considering it was right after the elbow drop. 

Very likely a poor decision to buy time. Timeline wise. But very much Boy who cried Wolf because he’s done this before, but with the actual injury this time felt more real.

Until I sort this out, Danielson is in timeout. 

Terry Funk is my GOAT. ALL HAIL GOAT FUNK!

• Like 2

Adam Cole just has the flu apparently, so that's good. EDIT: Good as in it's not COVID or anything, obviously. I'm not a monster. 😛

Punk being at future scrums isn't out of the question. 

TK at least confirms that everyone will be able to watch All In, but can't elaborate further yet due to time differences for the show. Sounds like it MIGHT be on free TV in the US possibly???

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Painmaker Chris Jericho is coming back. Oh, joy.

Chris Jericho in the pressure challenged Sting/Darby Allin to a Tornado Tag with Sammy Guevara on this week's Dynamite.

Edited by The Natural

Punk referencing the Homicide bit was the absolute BEST thing lmao. I had watched that several times this week since it was posted on here, so to see him acknowledge it was absolutely hilarious and perfect. Kojimaaa lariaaat lariaaat larriaat!
One of my favorite matches of the night in general. Thought Punk's work here felt like his 2012 heel run. Kojima looked great. 

I wish they let the Jack Perry turn draw out further rather than rushing right to doing it here. Jack said back in Feb that he wanted to be a singles champ by the end of the year or something, so he challenged for the AEW and loses, the IWGP and loses. I would've at least had the next step be to have him acknowledge Luchasaurus beating him to it, try to take his title and fail, *then* when all else has failed, he targets Hook for his title.

Another great Orange defense, tying Jade's record of 25 defenses. Huge pop for the epic Garcia Dance! One of the best bits going and always cracks me up. 

Toni Storm on the media scrum is greatness. Fantastic heel, loving her character work all around. 

Ospreay/Omega was insanity, wild stuff and I loved all of it. 

Marked out big for The Final Countdown! Truly awesome moment, like Miseria Cantare for Punk last year. Absolutely shocked by the finish, never ever would've guessed Okada tapping out. Sucks that Bryan got injured and won't be able to follow this up. Super fun show overall. 

Looking forward to the Return of the Painmaker!

• Like 6

Some of you need to rein yourselves in, getting an ok to good Bryan Danielson match against Okada is better than getting no Danielson match at all which was reality up until 4-5 years ago.

Was it the wrong spot to do? Maybe, but there’s far worse things that could’ve been done. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Guys..... I didn't like the convulsions spot either but what can be said that hasn't already been said?  It sucked and shouldn't have happened. I don't think anyone is going to debate anyone on it. 

Being wrestling, someone will. 

• Like 2

Only caught the main so far. I thought it was an amazing Danielson performance and the story of Danielson running up the points and Okada staying in it by targeting the neck was very good. Danielson pulled out a bunch of tricks, including going along with the Yes Chants for the first time since arriving in AEW (which in my mind is a "trick") but was down to one arm limiting his ability to put Okada away, especially after two knees didn't do the trick. The adaptability was awesome. And then post match you find out he was actually hurt and just using his ingenuity and resolve to both tough it out and smart it through by coming up with believable variations that he could actually accomplish. It was 10th level chess. He was hurt, but made me think that he was just brilliantly feigning being hurt.

As for the rest, I'll catch the rest of the show over the next week. I lost a bet. You'll see the results of that bet soon. The person I lost it to did not say I had to watch Omega vs Ospreay. Therefore, I'm not going to. No one should spend 40 minutes taking their medicine without a damn good reason, like losing a bet. I am earnestly glad that you guys liked it though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2