DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

And no to Pentagon, @Octopus!

😋.

Say what you will but they really need to run a big Penta singles match in a SoCal market dude is super over. MJF v Penta in La would blow the roof off

@JLowe Orange is on his late 30s so this International title run will likely be his high water mark. Kinda reminds me of Billy Kidmans cruiser weight run in WCW

Ok, someone better be taping this Tupelo card

Now it's...

• Britt vs Ruby
  • Stat vs Anna
  • Storm vs Skye
  • Caster vs Pat Buck
  • Lethal/Satnam vs The Boys
  • OC/Darby vs Bill/Ethan Page
  • Dax vs Garcia

Yet another card where I want to see everything.

• Like 2

OC is surprisingly old but also both in great shape and keen to working a pretty smart style. With guys like AJ and Danielson still killing it into their 40s, I'm positive that Cassidy has soooooo many more years to surpass this current championship run 😎

• Like 4

I dunno if I would call Orange Cassidy old. 40 in 2023 is like 22 y/o in 1983 years.

You have to adjust for inflation.

By inflation, I mean recreational drugs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

Every touring act in the world uses exclusivity deals with venues.  This isn't earthshattering news.

But they're not competition! Or so I've been told.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dog said:

But they're not competition! Or so I've been told.

IMO This is only intriguing based on the fact there aren't a bunch of huge arena acts/entertainment ventures like you had in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. The Taylor Swifts and Beyonces of the world are doing stadiums. You have big name acts like Adele doing (failed) Vegas residencies. You don't have the money making machines that was the rock bands doing year long plus world tours in arenas like we saw with GnR, Metallica, the multiple Stones retirement tours, etc. I know there are some country acts that still do well, but country music AFAIK has always been insulated from the devastation put upon other music genres. I know you still have Disney on Ice and other novelty things, but I doubt it's the same difference as was decades ago.

Point is if you don't have a legit basketball or hockey franchise as a tenant or just straight legendary like MSG, can you really be turning down AEW's 4k-5k when WWE is probably doing 7k-9k in some of the same venues? It would make sense to be exclusive if WWE was selling out in a matter of minutes. I doubt that's the case in at least 50% of the venues they run.

If I am one of the operators of these major arenas, unless it's a major event, I am telling WWE go run the JimmyCrackCorn.com Memorial Civic Center across the street that was probably built before 1980 and looks like absolute shit on TV. WWE is very popular but not popular enough to dictate weeks of scheduling when half these arenas struggle to book anything culturally relevant. 

If I am giving you premium dates that I really want to give to one of the few major acts that might be on tour and would pass through on that date, there is no exclusivity. 

• Like 3

The sheets are saying that Joe/Punk is still planned, but Punk has taken a liking to Jay White lately so that might be a program on Collision too. Or just a one off match, but still.

Sign. Me. Up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On the other hand, if I'm a venue operator and not getting sellouts from two touring groups running the same kind of niche product (wrestling, ice capades, circus, monster truck shows), I'm not booking them within 4-6 weeks of each other anyway because my market isn't strong enough to support two of the same kind of show within such proximity. And 4-6 weeks on either side of their dates is typically what WWE expects on either side of their dates. I'm not really seeing what the problem is. It's not like WWE hits the same venues more than twice a year so it shouldn't be that hard to arrange it.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno if I would call Orange Cassidy old. 40 in 2023 is like 22 y/o in 1983 years.

Well I mean like he "looks young enough to still get carded buying beer if he was clean-shaven"-kind of "surprisingly old," Not that he's a codger soon to be shaking his fist at the clouds 😂

Edited by christopher.annino

Just now, christopher.annino said:

Well I mean like he "looks young enough to still get carded buying beer if he was clean-shaven"-kind of "surprisingly old," Not that he's a codger soon to be shaking his fist at the clouds 😂

Time to add that to his act though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

What is that in ant years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

On the other hand, if I'm a venue operator and not getting sellouts from two touring groups running the same kind of niche product (wrestling, ice capades, circus, monster truck shows), I'm not booking them within 4-6 weeks of each other anyway because my market isn't strong enough to support two of the same kind of show within such proximity. And 4-6 weeks on either side of their dates is typically what WWE expects on either side of their dates. I'm not really seeing what the problem is. It's not like WWE hits the same venues more than twice a year so it shouldn't be that hard to arrange it.

Based on what though?

Say Nicki Minaj is beefing with Cardi B or whomever and tells the people who run Barclays, I will take my act somewhere else if Cardi does a show there. How fast does Barclays tell Nicki (rightfully so) "go fuck yourself"? This goes especially if they are doing the same number of units/streaming numbers.

Nicki's fans (the Barbs) are one group of fans. Cardi has her own group of fans. Latto has her own fans. Bia has her own group of fans. Meg the Stallion. etc. etc.

I don't hear anyone saying, "shit, that's five female rappers booked inside of two or three months...THAT'S CRAZY!". And a bunch of these girls sound damn near the same.

If I am a venue operator, I am booking these acts one after the other. I cannot let a huge arena just sit idle for days on end.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

Not that it matters as I'll be in Philly within a few months, but interesting that this comes out now after AEW runs the same venue in Austin.

Nice.  My company’s HQ is in Philly, though I don’t get up there too often.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So does this mean we get a round-robin 8-man tag tourney? THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE~!

So it’ll be a series of Four Tournaments.

One - A 8-man round robin where the winning team faces off in a round robin and if there is a tie then a 4 Fourloco Deathmatch to settle the winner

Two - A 16-man regular tournament where the seeding is determined by wins and match length of the previous tournament, broken up in the divisions of their own group

Three - A best of Four series of FourWays. 

Four - Each group has to work on a group project and best group advances. The winning group then faces off against each other to give a presentation on who the greatest wrestler of all time is.

The winners of each of these tournaments will become THE FOUR RETAINING WALLS OF AEW. If someone wins multiple tournaments, they can nominate their buddy, even if they weren’t in the tourneys.

I personally think this is good booking.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

OC is surprisingly old but also both in great shape and keen to working a pretty smart style. With guys like AJ and Danielson still killing it into their 40s, I'm positive that Cassidy has soooooo many more years to surpass this current championship run 😎

I hate to inform you but currently his hand, back, and leg are all injured from his grueling schedule. Did you not see Buddy Matthews work over his hand and Jay Lethal demolish his leg. And his back? He's one Roderick Strong match away from no longer having a spine. It doesn't bode well, let me tell you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If I am a venue operator, I am booking these acts one after the other. I cannot let a huge arena just sit idle for days on end.

It definitely depends on the city, but yeah I don't think the venue cares if similar touring shows run in consecutive weeks/months.

Has any act ever tried Sloppy Second Touring where they followed another act to the same cities, but lagging a week behind?

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Based on what though?

If Nicki Minaj is beefing with Cardi B or whomever and tells the people who run Barclays, I will take act somewhere else if Cardi does a show there. How fast does Barclays tell Nicki (rightfully so) "go fuck yourself"? This goes especially if they are doing the same number of units/streaming numbers.

Nicki's fans (the Barbs) are one group of fans. Cardi has her own group of fans. Latto has her own fans. Bia has her own group of fans. Meg the Stallion. etc. etc.

I don't hear anyone saying, "shit, that's five female rappers booked inside of two or three months...THAT'S CRAZY!". And a bunch of these girls sound damn near the same.

Venue operators are always going to treat concerts differently than pro wrestling because there are far more music acts than wrestling organizations capable of booking a 10,000 seat building. It's an apples to oranges comparison because there are plenty of music acts that can book sizeable venues. In wrestling in the United States, there are two - AEW and WWE. If you want to feel generous, throw in New Japan.

We're not going to see three different circuses or three different motocross tours book the same building within a three month period because, let's face it, there is no market that would support that. And I posit that pro wrestling is not popular enough to support two national touring brands hitting the same market within weeks of each other, unless they both start regularly selling out venues.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sparkleface said:

Venue operators are always going to treat concerts differently than pro wrestling because there are far more music acts than wrestling organizations capable of booking a 10,000 seat building. It's an apples to oranges comparison because there are plenty of music acts that can book sizeable venues. In wrestling in the United States, there are two - AEW and WWE. If you want to feel generous, throw in New Japan.

We're not going to see three different circuses or three different motocross tours book the same building within a three month period because, let's face it, there is no market that would support that. And I posit that pro wrestling is not popular enough to support two national touring brands hitting the same market within weeks of each other, unless they both start regularly selling out venues.

Thing is though what is the likelihood those circuses at the exact same time from a ticket sales standpoint are EQUALLY popular? MMA honestly is only the UFC. However, Bellator still goes in a lot the same venues that UFC does. In some cases, right after the UFC ran them. The UFC just did 24 or 25 straight major arena sellouts. If anything, those venues WANT more MMA because it's shown that if it's hot enough, you can do decent numbers even if it ain't UFC. 

Venues don't operate on the less is more mentality. Boxing runs arena shows week after week after week after. In the last 10 years, I can think of maybe seven or eight legit draws in boxing in North America. And half of them only fight really at either T-Mobile Arena or MGM Grand. There was a five year span in boxing where no one not named Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao could sell out an arena or even halfway fill up an arena. No one at the box office told one of these goddamn promoters, "man, that's enough."

Moreover, what the hell is the job of the arena itself? Their job is to market and advertise these acts. I know WWE is Rosemont Horizon and AEW is the United Center. However, if either company had a legit big event, you could do those shows within a month and a half of each other at either one of those venues. The fanbases are different enough with just enough overlap where you won't cannibalize each other.