DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/24 - 4/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

IT's the Usos and Solo Sikoa against the LWO!  Joaquim Wilde I can never remember the name of.  He takes an assbeating from the Bloodline.  LWO takes them out with Stereo Topes!  Solo Sikoa is becoming more dynamic while he also whips out a Nerve Pinch!  Jimmy and Santos Escobar are MAGIC in the ring together. Escobar is an awesome fired up babyface.  Cruz Del Toro gets slaughtered a couple ways, as Sikoa continues to find new awesome ways to hit the Samoan Spike.  Santos Escobar is my new favorite babyface.  The Street Profits haven't wrestled in a while.  Oh cool!  Shelton Benjamin and Cedric Alexander have wrestled even less.  Ah! But this doesn't last very long.  HHH doesn't announce the secret signing of CM Punk so it's a disappointment.  This is a very Vince-inspired slog of an episode so far- but hope springs eternal.  It's DMG CNTRL!  Bianca Belair has secret tag partners!  It's Raquel Rodriguez and Liv Morgan!  I have to get a new IV so I miss all of it!  I assume it was good.  Chad Gable and Mustafa Ali should be good.  Nice Dragon Suplex by Gable.  Not much else.  There's like 15 minutes of wrestling tonight, it feels like.  Finn Balor takes on Cody Rhodes!  This is good!  Cody is bumping like  total weirdo to make Balor look good.  Cody hits a flurry offense that looked like a poorman's Dustin.  CODY CUTTER!  FOR TWO!  Cody goes back to making Balor look like a million bucks! PEDIGREE!   CROSS RHODES!  For the win!  That was good!  I cannot wait to get back to fast forwarding through the talking sections of wrestling.  IT really makes the wrestling seem more important when you can just concentrate on it.  During RAW, if you have to watch it in real time, it's like 45 minutes of story development, 10 minutes of wrestling then 6 minutes of commercials.  Rey Mysterio and Damien Priest are fixing to go after each other.  Priest has great looking offense and Rey is a great sympathetic babyface.  Rey starts off trying to get on top of things but it quickly turns to Rey selling the offense of Priest!  Toprope Rana by Rey!  Priest cuts him off by punching him in the face!  Priest starts off Rey's comeback with a Psicosis Bump to the ringpost!  Asai Moonsault!  Priest cuts him off by kicking him in the face!  Priest with a Low Angle EXPLOIDER for TWO!  619!  Priest uses a chair and that's your crappy finish.  Bad Bunny makes the save.  I dunno about this episode of pro wrestling.

• Like 4

The WWE World Heavyweight Championship AKA you can't beat Roman Reigns third place prize now there's three world titles. More there's no "heavyweight" on the belt even though it's in the name. I can see Seth Rollins becoming the first champion.

Edited by The Natural

I'll start with the good.  I don't hate the design of the new World Heavyweight Title.  I think it's their best looking one,  which low bar there but I dig the inspiration behind it, it does look a little like the Big Gold.  

I also don't hate the idea of split titles if the brand split is a legitimate one.  

But now to the bad. My god man... three fucking world titles?  We are back to square one.  Roman unified the belts a little over a year ago so what do they do,  they just ADD another title..  

How about just beat Roman for the belts at some point and then split them up?  Because let's be honest here... the title holder is going to be a paper champion until Roman actually loses a damn match.  Nobody is going to think that person is a world champion.  

I'll laugh like hell if they put this belt on Cody.  That would be awful.   But I'll cry if it's Brock Lesnar or fucking Goldberg or somebody.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'll start with the good.  I don't hate the design of the new World Heavyweight Title.  I think it's their best looking one,  which low bar there but I dig the inspiration behind it, it does look a little like the Big Gold.  

I also don't hate the idea of split titles if the brand split is a legitimate one.  

But now to the bad. My god man... three fucking world titles?  We are back to square one.  Roman unified the belts a little over a year ago so what do they do,  they just ADD another title..  

How about just beat Roman for the belts at some point and then split them up?  Because let's be honest here... the title holder is going to be a paper champion until Roman actually loses a damn match.  Nobody is going to think that person is a world champion.  

I'll laugh like hell if they put this belt on Cody.  That would be awful.   But I'll cry if it's Brock Lesnar or fucking Goldberg or somebody.  

Said similar in my post above yours.

• Like 1

FuhfNuOWAAAnCCW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Better look at the WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt. There's big lions next to the globe on the main plate. Big Gold or Winged Eagle is my favourite belt design ever by farso cool to see the former back in some form. I prefer this to the WWE Championship and WWE Universal Championship by far. I think the globes blue colour would make it stand out more like the Winged Eagle, Big Eagle and WWE Undisputed Championship (2002-2005). I still hope *insert Hawkeye Avengers: Endgame (2019) quote here* both will get a better looking redesign ASAP.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FuhfNuOWAAAnCCW?format=jpg&name=900x900

Better look at the WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt. There's big lions next to the globe on the main plate. Big Gold or Winged Eagle is my favourite belt design ever by farso cool to see the former back in some form. I prefer this to the WWE Championship and WWE Universal Championship by far. I think the globes blue colour would make it stand out more like the Winged Eagle, Big Eagle and WWE Undisputed Championship (2002-2005). I still hope *insert Hawkeye Avengers: Endgame (2019) quote here* both will get a better looking redesign ASAP.

Looking at the WWE World Heavyweight Championship again, there's a small winged eagle with a crown at the top! The bottom, a lion's head. WWE X NJPW Forbidden Door confirmation!

Edited by The Natural

Creating a Raw title so that they can have Raw/Smackdown titles again feels like running directly back to the booking tropes that they tried to get away from last year.

So..

if Cody wins the B Title, he's being buried because he won a consolation belt

if Cody doesn't win the B Title but competes for it, he's being buried because he didn't win the consolation belt

if Cody is on the B Title's brand and doesn't compete for that belt, then he's being buried because he's "not good enough" to compete for the consolation belt

So pretty much Cody's only way to not immediately lose in the eyes of some people is to be on the same show as Roman. Then he'll lose later because he won't beat Roman for the title. Feels like there's sort of a talking point about how the WWE won't treat any AEW guy "right" because Cody Rhodes didn't win at Wrestlemania.

Just now, Red King said:

It's better than the belts roman has and the old red fruit rollup belt.

Agreed.

Cool how were singing of the same hymn sheet about it been the runner up prize to Roman Reigns as WWE Champion/WWE Universal Champion. That's the one Cody Rhodes should win still with the story that he's going for the WWE Championship, a belt Dusty Rhodes never held. You need to pick the right first champion for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and start making it mean something from the get go with what we've said relating to Roman Reigns.

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

the new belt has some real "1991-1994 WCW Title dressed up as Big Gold" energy to it

150px-WCW_Championship_(1991-1994).jpg

I liked the WCW World Heavyweight Championship (1991-1994) apart from one thing, the word world needed a black banner like the other words. World doesn't stand out and is lost into the belt without the black backing.

Anyways, there's not really a great logical way to split the titles without also running back to the trope of dueling show GMs

If you had show GMs, you could have a disputed finish where one GM has a reason to split the titles that's stronger than just "we can't use the champ on our show anymore". At the risk of acting like the WCW/NWA title split with Flair/Fujinami was logical booking.

The set-up for this new belt is poor as is the timing but as I've maintained for ages now, Raw always struggles when it has an absentee champion (previously Brock, now Roman) and the top of the card always suffers for it. One could argue that in theory it should be able to work with the IC or US belt as the top one but it never has, they need a top belt for people to go after in order to feel like top guys. Perhaps this is a weakness of the booking no matter who has said book (I would not argue against that) but in the medium to long run the show is likely gonna be better off for this, the poor short-term set-up is a shame though.

• Like 2

Bloodline vs. LDF/LWO was solid fun. Its good to see Legado winning fans over though it would be even better if they were winning as well. I get why they didn't here but still. 

Street Profits vs. Hurt Business and Gable/Ali were nice while they lasted but way too short to be much.

Damage CTRL vs. Bianca/Raquel/Liv was pretty fun.

Cody/Finn was good.

Priest/Rey was good up until the expected fuck finish. The post match with bad Bunny was decent. Kind of disappointed its a singles match though a street fight hopefully means we get a chaotic war between Judgement Day and LWO. 

Not fond of a new heavyweight title being introduced. I get why they want it with the draft back and likely trying to enforce stronger segregation of the rosters for however long/short that lasts, but I feel like this was something they should have waited do to until after Roman lost the belts. I think no matter what things will come across as a consolation prize for whoever wins the new belt. The belt itself looks fine. Nothing amazing but a definite improvement over the last design.

I will say there aren't three world title titles. Roman's current Undisputed title is more or less like the triple crown titles of AJPW. 

Edited by Eivion

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

So is this a B belt or a C belt? Does Roman hold A and B or is the combination of the two he has like a weird A+?

Its this last one though officially they will of course be equal. Reality wise Roman's belts will be the bigger deal until he loses them, and even then they might stay the bigger deal. 

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Anyways, there's not really a great logical way to split the titles without also running back to the trope of dueling show GMs

If you had show GMs, you could have a disputed finish where one GM has a reason to split the titles that's stronger than just "we can't use the champ on our show anymore". At the risk of acting like the WCW/NWA title split with Flair/Fujinami was logical booking.

I wonder if you couldn't hve run an angle where Roman Reigns "injures" an opponent (or opponents) so viciously (say a guy going away for some sort of surgery) outside the realm of a match (after being DQed or backstage or something) to get out of defending his title and have Adam Pearce/whoever "ban" him from Raw saying they don't have the Authority (***) to strip him of the title, so if Roman's not going to play by the rules, then he isn't welcome on Raw and we'll be naming a new champion, who is willing to defend the belt. Then the new champ is still a B-Champ but not a "Well no one can beat the other guy so we might as well make a new belt" and more of a "on Raw we actually defend the title!" champ. Then on Smackdown Roman can keep calling himself the undispusted champ and start billing himself as "the only superstar so dangerous he was banned from Raw". I mean, that's how I personally would have done it.