DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Ultimately if you're not recognising WHC reigns, you're cutting out a lot of the world titles of guys like Batista, Edge and Jericho - all of whom only had 1-2 short reigns with the WWE Title iirc.

(Ok, that was wrong - Edge had another two 3 week WWE title runs on Smackdown when they pulled a title switcheroo for a few months)

16 minutes ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Ultimately if you're not recognising WHC reigns, you're cutting out a lot of the world titles of guys like Batista, Edge and Jericho - all of whom only had 1-2 short reigns with the WWE Title iirc.

it's not that i don't recognize them, i just think of them as a continuation of the WCW title lineage. IMO it adds to the prestige without any drawbacks. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Folks, to clarify, when I say MJF is Shane Douglas with better press, I mean that MJF is an OK worker whose mic work is heavily overrated by his fan base because his boss let's him cuss and say shooty things...

I'm going to disagree. I think he's a very good worker (especially as he knows how to wrestle as a true shitheel) whose mic work is heavily overrated by his fan base because his boos lets him cuss and say shooty things. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'd be having a fucking blast shitting on World Class.

Living down here in Texas and having fond memories of World Class in the mid-late 80s on ESPN, I started watching the early stuff on Peacock and yeah, it's mostly terrible. I do like young face Bundy with hair just as an oddity.

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

so, i don't follow WWE, but i thought of this fact recently:

the only wrestlers to hold both the NWA and WWE World Heavyweight Championships

• [note 1: this is for the NWA Title, not the WCW Title]
  • [note 2: this includes either the WWE World Title or WWE Universal Title]:

Buddy Rogers: NWA 1x (10/30/62-1/24/63), WWE (inaugural 4/11/63-5/17/63)
Ric Flair: NWA 10+x , WWE 2x
AJ Styles: NWA 3x, WWE 2x
**Kurt Angle (defeats NWA champ 5/13/07, WWE 4x) **Kurt was considered the first TNA champion and not NWA champion)

will Cody Rhodes become the 4th wrestler to ever win both the NWA and WWE World Championships?

It’s not too late for R-Truth

and sadly Glen Jacobs 

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

The defunct WWE WHC carried on the lineage of previous WHC's but not the history and records of the previous WHC titles.

Universal title in a way absorbed the WWE title lineage, because both titles are separate but bundled together. 

Anyway WWE isn't always consistent with title lineage, the newer defunct 205 Cruiserweight belt has no lineage to the WCW version. 

• Like 1

Once the Bloodline Arc is complete (or at least a satisfying moment we can plant a checkpoint in as it continues), it will be interesting to compare it to the Hangman Saga. The stories both being two or so year journeys of character development that involve mental health and one or more characters growing into main event level attractions. Very different and represent arguably  opposite ways to present wrestling storytelling. The Bloodline being more promo and segment driven and on the on the sleeve acting while the Hangman Saga attempted subtly (but clearly pointed to) moments in matches with shorter segments (FTR standing up Hangman as an example) but additional content for people watching the YouTube comedy show. I find them both fantastic and I’m excited to see how the Bloodline Arc climaxes. 

• Like 1

Now I'll really be furious at next year's WO Awards if Dominik doesn't get Best Gimmick for his "privileged Mexican-American lad play-acting Blood In, Blood Out" schtick...

I wish DVDVR could have it's own awards, but we can't even have a Top 500 without some Thrillseeker getting his knickers in a twist...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Now I'll really be furious at next year's WO Awards if Dominik doesn't get Best Gimmick for his "privileged Mexican-American lad play-acting Blood In, Blood Out" schtick...

I wish DVDVR could have it's own awards, but we can't even have a Top 500 without some Thrillseeker getting his knickers in a twist...

Or given the date, March Madness. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Folks, to clarify, when I say MJF is Shane Douglas with better press, I mean that MJF is an OK worker whose mic work is heavily overrated by his fan base because his boss let's him cuss and say shooty things...

also because he's not a cool heel.. which gets some level of praise

like how Chris Jericho was getting praise for his initial "not in shape uncool heel Jericho" run in the WWE

7 hours ago, The Comedian said:

We have hearing folks make shoot related comments for what? 25+ years now? A good percentage of those guys never got to level MJF is right now. I already went into why Shane is bad example, but I will offer up the example of Gino Hernandez. When people say that had he not died, he could have been world champion...yeah based on what we already saw I am skeptical about that.

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Imagining what the board would have been like in 1982, with people arguing whether Memphis or Mid-South or Georgia or Charlotte was the best promotion in the country. 

I was about to ask the question "Why is 1982 always the earliest year people mention on their hypothetical territory geekin'?" and it took me a minute to go - oh yeah, that's the meat of Ric Flair's first NWA title reign and he held the belt the whole year. I'm also assuming that there were major advances to television distribution + production around that time, but it's crazy to think how much Flair's first reign added to the sheer watchability of NWA-affiliated television.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I was about to ask the question "Why is 1982 always the earliest year people mention on their hypothetical territory geekin'?" and it took me a minute to go - oh yeah, that's the meat of Ric Flair's first NWA title reign and he held the belt the whole year. I'm also assuming that there were major advances to television distribution + production around that time, but it's crazy to think how much Flair's first reign added to the sheer watchability of NWA-affiliated television.

It’s a year a lot of the territories had above average years, before things started to decline in a couple places. Admittedly, 1983 was a good year for Dallas, but not every place. 1984 is great for Watts, but not Crockett. And Vince’s  expansion is plucking talent left and right.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It’s a year a lot of the territories had above average years, before things started to decline in a couple places. Admittedly, 1983 was a good year for Dallas, but not every place. 1984 is great for Watts, but not Crockett. And Vince’s  expansion is plucking talent left and right.

The last point was my immediate thought.

the footage is probably long gone but I wonder when the first "Bill Watts does commentary where he's just talking about anything except the match" moment really was..

Like did he spend an entire Frank Dusek standby match talking about the Iran hostage crisis?

I guess the 1981-82 recession didn't slow down the wrestling industry too much? or it wasn't as bad as the gas/energy crises in the 1970s.

• Like 1

What makes heel Dominick work is that it seems like deep down he knows he doesn't deserve his spot. I'm sure Dom is a perfectly nice guy in real life, but resentful failson has to be a much easier role for him to play authentically than proudly carrying on the Mysterio name. Also, Rhea has been absolutely exquisite as his muscle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

What makes heel Dominick work is that it seems like deep down he knows he doesn't deserve his spot. I'm sure Dom is a perfectly nice guy in real life, but resentful failson has to be a much easier role for him to play authentically than proudly carrying on the Mysterio name. Also, Rhea has been absolutely exquisite as his muscle.

Con Dom!

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the footage is probably long gone but I wonder when the first "Bill Watts does commentary where he's just talking about anything except the match" moment really was..

Like did he spend an entire Frank Dusek standby match talking about the Iran hostage crisis?

I guess the 1981-82 recession didn't slow down the wrestling industry too much? or it wasn't as bad as the gas/energy crises in the 1970s.

I would like to think Boyd Pierce just did crossword puzzles while Bill rambled on. There have been several times I am watching some random Mid-South episode, Bill goes on an unbroken near ten minute tangent, and then the camera switches back to the booth after the match with Boyd just sitting there. It throws me off because I totally forget he's there. Is he suppose to be taking notes? Is he catching up on his reading?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Looking at swatches for new suits 

Today, I watched the 2/25/1984 episode of Mid South where Mr. Wrestling II slaps Magnum T.A. at the contract signing with JYD. I dunno what the hell Boyd was wearing but it looked like a tangerine or grapefruit threw up all over itself. 

I found a quote that better describes it on 411mania:

-Originally aired February 25, 1984.

-Your hosts are Boyd Pierce and Jim Ross and Boyd’s suit alone accounts for the 9 that this episode will get at the bottom. He looks like he’s wearing beaded seat covers.
  • Like 1

Just saw that episode a couple days ago, and that suit was amazing. It looked like a pineapple upside down cake print. And he had a matching tie for it, too!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1