DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies - 2023

I guess everyone wants a black dude to play Kang but I looked it up as I was curious and he's a descendent of Reed Richards. They can do what they want and I've no issue with it personally but they're gonna have to change canon somehow and that might piss off the Marvel hardliners. 

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ryan Gosling is apparently in negotiations to join the MCU in an unknown role. 

I'm positive the list begins and ends with the words "Scott" and "Summers".

Do we know for sure the words "Reed" and "Richards" aren't also on the list.  If we're not sticking with Krasinski that is.

17 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Do we know for sure the words "Reed" and "Richards" aren't also on the list.  If we're not sticking with Krasinski that is.

Not unless something big has changed. And, no, Jim's not Mr. Fantastic any more.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/pedro-pascal-reed-richards-marvel-studios-fantastic-four-1235599560/

This is what I really don’t like with how the MCU has grown, hiring expensive, super well known actors for these roles. Sure RDJ was well known when he was cast as Tony, but he was more well known for being a fuck up who might have been on a redemption tour starting with KKBB. He also wasn’t expensive.

There are a ton of really good actors out there that people aren’t super familiar with. Go with one of them. Create a new star and draw people into your movie because it’s good, not because Ryan Gosling is in it or Pedro Pascal is in it and I really love both of those guys.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Ace said:

He's generally a descendant of Nathaniel Richards. Reed's father.

14 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Also, it's not like he's Reed's son or half-brother. There are more than enough generations between him and Nathaniel that he could easily be a black dude. (Three or four would be plenty, I would think.)

Good point. I knew about the Nathaniel part. It would be pre-supposing that Nathaniel is only into white ladies I guess and that is racist as well as stupid. As the late great Gilda Radner would say, "Nyever mind"

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Even though I grew up on X-Men and with their games I cannot identify at all

Pardon my cheek.  That was Sinistar, from the 80's video game.   The villain is Mr. Sinister.

(Though, notably, he's also supposed to be the big bad in X-Men '97, so grains of salt and all.)

Yeah, haven't even heard of Sinistar. That game looks frickin chaotic. I'm almost surprised they didn't have the control ball instead of a joystick for the console. 

Haven't heard of X-Men '97 either and that sounds awesome! As far as Mr. Sinister, works for me. You can't always start with Magneto. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, haven't even heard of Sinistar. That game looks frickin chaotic. I'm almost surprised they didn't have the control ball instead of a joystick for the console. 

Haven't heard of X-Men '97 either and that sounds awesome! As far as Mr. Sinister, works for me. You can't always start with Magneto. 

Not to mention you could have Magneto be a babyface from the start of the reboot and then maybe eventually turn him heel. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Not to mention you could have Magneto be a babyface from the start of the reboot and then maybe eventually turn him heel. 

Just knowing what I know about Fiege's MCU and his propensity to kill off villains.  I'd guess Mags works with the X-Men (maybe even is one), and when they defeat Sinister, his heel turn comes with Charles begging him to stop, but he ends up brutally killing Sinister (and probably some innocents).  

(But thinking about it, that's kinda what happened in First Class, so something else should probably happen.)

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

This is what I really don’t like with how the MCU has grown, hiring expensive, super well known actors for these roles. Sure RDJ was well known when he was cast as Tony, but he was more well known for being a fuck up who might have been on a redemption tour starting with KKBB. He also wasn’t expensive.

There are a ton of really good actors out there that people aren’t super familiar with. Go with one of them. Create a new star and draw people into your movie because it’s good, not because Ryan Gosling is in it or Pedro Pascal is in it and I really love both of those guys.

Yep, I'm guessing Marvel has been cold for so long that they're hoping established stars will draw now that the thrill of seeing superheroes has worn off.  This is definitely a Val Kilmer as Batman vs Michael Keaton as Batman thing.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Yep, I'm guessing Marvel has been cold for so long that they're hoping established stars will draw now that the thrill of seeing superheroes has worn off.  This is definitely a Val Kilmer as Batman vs Michael Keaton as Batman thing.

The thing is that established stars with any degree of discernment can detect the smell of grizzly death coming off this shit and should be prohibitively expensive to lock into multi-picture deals. The budgets on these things need to get smaller, and unless the bag is ridiculous then the Adam Drivers and Margot Robbies of the world should be saying no. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ryan Gosling is apparently in negotiations to join the MCU in an unknown role. 

I'm positive the list begins and ends with the words "Scott" and "Summers".

This feels accurate though for some reason Gosling feels more like an Alex Summers to me.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Like Ms. Marvel? I'm pretty sure they do both in terms of looking at big stars and testing out newbies/unknowns. With some of these you have to remember directors/producers already had a person(s) in their head who fit the role. Sometimes they also just might want to throw a bone to some fan castings like we saw with Krasinski in Multiverse of Madness. I think they still do screen tests/auditions for newer characters.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Supposedly they aren't planning to use Magento at all in the first film at the very least.

I can't see them doing anything with Orchis, Krakoa, Mars, or any of that shit in any of these movies. You already have Wakanda, a secret country that's ultra high tech. Bringing in something like Orchis would make me think there would also be a Krakoa, yet another secretive land no one knows about.

• Like 1

I've never liked Kang even before Jonathan Majors and more since his debut in Loki Season 1. I think Marvel Studios recast Kang but if it was up to me, I'd replace Kang with Doctor Doom. I am concerned with how X-Men, Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom are handled as the quality control has dropped since the Infinity Saga concluded. My Marvel Studios interest as a result of which has fallen.