DVDVR Message Board

2023 Puroresu General Discussion

RIPPA

My apologies for the double post, but my childish excitement got the better of me.

I just watched a Scott Norton match for old times' sake and remembered something else which made me smile: before he does a Clothesline, he slaps his hands together. He did that a lot and it always made me so happy. I started doing it in mock-fights with my friends as well. It didn't add any power to the strikes, but I felt good doing it, by God!

I don't know what it was about Norton. Maybe being from late AWA tainted him for some people. He certainly never got any real recognition in WCW until Vicious and Delicious. A fan vote on NJPW World from 2021 or 2022 put him at number 16 in a ranking of foreigners in NJPW. The list really has some recency bias though so if you take out anyone who wrestled before 2010, he's comfortably in the top ten, above Bam Bam Bigelow.

• Like 3

EA1QxGvzpCmGIIC1621674797_1621674806.jpg

In Japan Hansen and Brody et al still get a lot of love because the guys (comedians usually) leading the talk shows are all in their forties and fifties so they often go back to the stars of their childhood. Also, lol at Michael Elgin being on the list. If the rankings were done now, I assume Tama Tonga and El-P would be higher, probably displacing Ricochet, Dragon Lee and Archer.

AJPW doesn't really do those special training or acquire new skills stuff before the CC like they used to do. There was some goals mentioned at the CC press conference but in this day and age, fans can translate or get the info themselves.

Not sure what Okada is going to do now? Maybe he will win two more G1 Climaxes in the future and breaks Chono's record.

Western Wiki is wrong, since the G1 Climax started in 1991, previous NJPW singles HW leagues and tournaments don't count records and history wise for the G1.

Shingo Takagi vs Robbie Eagles tonight in Melbourne was an easy 4 1/2*, just a tremendous match. I don’t want to undersell how good Robbie is, but Shingo is just a superstar from the minute he comes through the curtain. Absolutely one of the best I’ve ever seen in the ring.