DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

So, which wrestler has the biggest gap between entrance music and themselves w/r/t coolness, in either direction?

I ask this because "Voodoo Child" came on my playlist while I was driving last week, and for whatever reason, I thought that aging, corny Hulk Hogan coming out to it was such a waste. What a piece of music; we couldn't give it to someone who was way cooler? No? Just shriveled Hogan in the feather boa cupping his hand to his ear, that's who got it?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

So, which wrestler has the biggest gap between entrance music and themselves w/r/t coolness, in either direction?

I ask this because "Voodoo Child" came on my playlist while I was driving last week, and for whatever reason, I thought that aging, corny Hulk Hogan coming out to it was such a waste. What a piece of music; we couldn't give it to someone who was way cooler? No? Just shriveled Hogan in the feather boa cupping his hand to his ear, that's who got it?

Alex Riley’s theme was a banger

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Bray Wyatt

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I always thought Jimmy Valiant and Manhattan Transfer was an odd juxtaposition. 

I will say that as frustrating as WWE Network/Peacock overdubs can be sometime, the piano-driven ditty they came up with for the Boogie Woogie Man is a joy that fits his vibe perfectly, and I say this as someone that loves him dancing to The Boy From New York City.

And while not quite matching the intent of the original post, I will take this time to say that I HATE that the sweet Megaman knockoff Titantron graphic/entrance was wasted by WWE on frigging TJ Perkins. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Taka and Kaientai were way cooler than the stereotypical Asian shit that WWF gave them for theme music.

This is generally true of most workers from Japan who got the WCW or WWF "generic Eastern music" treatment, with one exception: The Great Muta's '89-'90 theme was COLD. 

Then they never used it again when he'd pop up in WCW throughout most of the '90s, IIRC. What a waste. 

I also have beef with Hunter bringing Liger in for a match and not spending all the dollars on "Ikari no Jyushin," which should be some type of crime. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

This is generally true of most workers from Japan who got the WCW or WWF "generic Eastern music" treatment, with one exception: The Great Muta's '89-'90 theme was COLD. 

Then they never used it again when he'd pop up in WCW throughout most of the '90s, IIRC. What a waste. 

I also have beef with Hunter bringing Liger in for a match and not spending all the dollars on "Ikari no Jyushin," which should be some type of crime. 

After posting I went through and tried to find any Japanese wrestler themes from America that weren't Orientalist nonsense and Nagata's WCW theme went pretty fuckin' hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=360c5Q9plIU

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

If you think about though, who else under that age would come out to Voodoo Chile? Nash was either 39 or 40 around that time and based on his musical taste from his podcast (Sean Oliver and Nash spend a fair amount talking non wrestling stuff btw), he wasn't coming out to Voodoo Chile even though he was in college in the late 1970s. His musical taste is very 80s/early 90s. Add in there was a plethora of new music to choose from at that time or at least recent history. It makes all the sense of the world for some old guy (who was a failed rocker prior to wrestling) trying to relive his past glory coming out to Jimi Hendrix.

Also, he at least got the most use out of it

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If you think about though, who else under that age would come out to Voodoo Chile? Nash was either 39 or 40 around that time and based on his musical taste from his podcast (Sean Oliver and Nash spend a fair amount talking non wrestling stuff btw), he wasn't coming out to Voodoo Chile even though he was in college in the late 1970s. His musical taste is very 80s/early 90s. Add in there was a plethora of new music to choose from at that time or at least recent history. It makes all the sense of the world for some old guy (who was a failed rocker prior to wrestling) trying to relive his past glory coming out to Jimi Hendrix.

Also, he at least got the most use out of it

I certainly agree that it makes sense from a timeline standpoint, and Hogan showing up to a WCW show when the nWo was still fresh to it was fine, but man, '00s WWE Hogan should have let it lie.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I certainly agree that it makes sense from a timeline standpoint, and Hogan showing up to a WCW show when the nWo was still fresh to it was fine, but man, '00s WWE Hogan should have let it lie.

Buddy, it's either that or Real American which was dated even for Hogan.

Here's one for everyone: Going back to Nash, when he was WWF champ at Diesel, supposedly the WWF was going to buy the rights to use George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" instead of Diesel Blues. However, the WWF didn't want to pay for it. IMO that fits Bullet Bob Armstrong way more than Diesel. Plus, you had that song in the Problem Child movies. How badass was that song by 1994-1995 when it had been overused to death?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Buddy, it's either that or Real American which was dated even for Hogan.

Hogan as a face was dated for aughts WWE.

They should have leaned into a song that fit "corny, lovably out of place, but somehow enticing" since that's what Hogan was.

What I am saying is that the rights to Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For a Hero" couldn't have cost that damn much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Hogan as a face was dated for aughts WWE.

They should have leaned into a song that fit "corny, lovably out of place, but somehow enticing" since that's what Hogan was.

What I am saying is that the rights to Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For a Hero" couldn't have cost that damn much.

"Vince...brother, the rights to "Life in the Fast Lane" cannot be that high...I mean I use to hang and bang with Don Henley, Joe Walsh, and all those guys..."

• Haha 6

I think Hogan requesting "Voodoo Chile" for his 2002 WWE run was mostly him swinging his dick around after the Mania 18 match was a success

I remember getting the Hulk Still Rules DVD and being shocked to hear Hendrix as the menu music

Will never forget Tenay mispronouncing it and screaming "that's Voodoo chili!" on whatever Nitro Hogan debuted the song on

• Like 1
  • Haha 1