DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

As side story in the whole thing is that apparently a lot of the Unity executives sold their stock right before making the announcement too

Also as a reminder, Unity CEO John Riccitiello (who was one of the folks who sold a bunch of stock) got heat a couple of months ago for saying indie developers who didn't use Unity were "fucking idiots"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As side story in the whole thing is that apparently a lot of the Unity executives sold their stock right before making the announcement too

Also as a reminder, Unity CEO John Riccitiello (who was one of the folks who sold a bunch of stock) got heat a couple of months ago for saying indie developers who didn't use Unity were "fucking idiots"

Yeah, I suspect the SEC is going to be knocking on some doors in the next week or two...

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Ooof....

Maybe don't release a game at the worst possible time to release a game ever

I always viewed it as a game that would have to get legs through word of mouth, and I'm sure they can't really control when EA Wanted to release it. Unfortunate all around. 

A word of warning for those who are going to try F-Zero 99 on the Switch.  There's a post on the Switch subreddit showing noticeable screen burn on a launch (non-OLED) Switch after playing the game.  The poster says it went away after playing 90 minutes of TotK, but be forewarned.

Edited by dogwelder

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

A word of warning for those who are going to try F-Zero 99 on the Switch.  There's a post on the Switch subreddit showing noticeable screen burn on a launch (non-OLED) Switch after playing the game.  The poster says it went away after playing 90 minutes of TotK, but be forewarned.

And yet Nintendo thinks they should release it instead of F-Zero GX HD like everyone online has been asking for....

On 9/13/2023 at 1:43 PM, RIPPA said:

The "bunch of stock" he sold was 2000 shares of the more than 3,000,000 he owns. Hardly a stock dump. 

19 years of no F-Zero game until now.

I am not sure but it seems Nintendo Software Technology developed F Zero 99. The previous developed Battle-Royale games like Tetris 99, Super Mario Bros 35, and Pac-Man 99 were made by Arika. 

Takaya Imamura worked on the first F-Zero (Graphic Design) from 1990, and more Nintendo games, he left Nintendo in 2021. He wanted a new installment in the F-Zero series.  He took to X and celebrated the new release.

• Like 1

I just referenced Tremors in the Starfield thread and it made me think how in the hell has there not been a survival horror multiplayer game based on Tremors?! The game practically makes itself. You get gear to distract or throw Graboids off, you're constantly trying to avoid detection, you're running for your life, you get an access to a bunch of different weapons including the elephant gun from the first movie, and have two options - you either control a human or you control a Graboid.

With a bunch of other horror movies getting video games, make one for Tremors, dammit!

• Like 1

Honestly, as someone that has used Dead By Daylight as my "well, nothing new out I wanna play sooooo..." game for a while now, I'm stunned in general there hasn't been a big sci fi hit in that genre while we're at it. It's bizarre that game has managed to basically hold a monopoly for 7 years on a genre.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:19 PM, RIPPA said:

Ooof....

Maybe don't release a game at the worst possible time to release a game ever

I think it depends on the game and the marketing.  A million+ people were playing Starfield simultaneously at 3AM EDT on a Wednesday morning.

3AM... EDT... on a Wednesday.  That's impressive regardless of how monumentally anticipated it was.

Actually it is a testament to said monumental anticipation.

Edited by J.T.

Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield (which has far more console players than PC) are 3/4 currently most played games on Steam and everything else in the top 10 is a free 2 play, except for GTA 5 which is just a perpetual money machine at this point. It's actually pretty crazy the two biggest releases of the year happened right on top of each other.

This could go in about 6 different threads, but I'll put it here, just for a little cross-pollination:

This is Hideo Kojima in the Criterion Collection closet, picking out some of his favorite movies.  He explains that 50s/60s Japanese films had a big influence on him but many of them are rarely available in Japan, so the whole lot is that stuff.  Shock of the century: the man has awesome taste in movies.

• Like 1

Also buried in those stories

Saber Interactive (which is owned by Embracer) announced they were stopping development on Evil Dead with the Switch version being cancelled

They claim that the servers will remain up "for the foreseeable future" and that they will address "major issues" but no more new content is coming

13 hours ago, Contentious C said:

This could go in about 6 different threads, but I'll put it here, just for a little cross-pollination:

This is Hideo Kojima in the Criterion Collection closet, picking out some of his favorite movies.  He explains that 50s/60s Japanese films had a big influence on him but many of them are rarely available in Japan, so the whole lot is that stuff.  Shock of the century: the man has awesome taste in movies.

I sorta feel like he was just filling out his collection lol. Still, great picks.

So here's my Steam review of MK1, spoilered for size.

Spoiler

I wish we had a thumbs in the middle option, but we don't. So here's my attempt at a fair review.

At the end of the day this is a game that just feels like it has so much less to it than both of its predecessors, and most of it I don't understand why.

- A lot of the defensive tech from 11 is gone, still adapting to it
- less combo options (I actually think this can be spun as a positive as it got out of hand in 11, see below)
- As far as anyone can tell, no stage fatalities for the first time... ever? What?
- Less game modes for single player
- Some basic features are missing like being able to permanently save your practice settings or marking certain moves/combos on screen
- The Krypt has been replaced with... an even grindier mode. Invasion mode is unspeakably tedious, it's really bad
- The story feels very rushed. I enjoyed the cheese of it but parts of it feel extremely not flushed out
- The Kameo system is a poor man's version of the multiple special move setups we had in X and 11, with the added benefit of being lore breaking
- A much smaller roster
- Currently online is pretty unstable, a lot of disconnects
- Some of the game looks gorgeous and then some things look so low quality. Compare Sonya's model in MK 11 with her Kameo model in this game and it's absolutely amateur hour

I dunno. It is cool to see some characters we haven't seen in a literal generation like Reiko and Ashrah. I do enjoy some of the fights, and I actually think toning down the combo-heaviness is a good thing especially for normal people that don't play fighting games professionally. You definitely have more of a fighting chance in MK1 than you did in X or 11 which is good. I do enjoy the game a lot when I get a match against a player that is close to my own skill level. So I'm not saying this is a bad game because that's genuinely unfair. But do I think it's the weakest of the "modern" games from 9 to now? It kinda feels like it.

Thumbs very in the middle, but that's not an option. So a Very Mild Thumb Down feels fair? God, Steam's review system is dumb. Buy this and make your own decision but just don't be surprised if you end up feeling thumbs in the middle about the whole thing too. Certainly not a title that justifies the $130 Canadian pre order price tag.

I stand by all of that as fair criticism of mostly strange feature stripping, but I will say that the more I've played the more I've enjoyed the actual fights. The game feels really tight and I actually really, really enjoy it when you get matches against someone on your relative level. It's a simpler game than MK 11 but that's not a bad thing at all for, you know, normal people.

• Like 1