DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So, I'm watching The Americans. I know this question is going to rile some people up, but...I just can't get into this series. It's really, um, dull? Elizabeth is really, really unlikeable and Phillip is maybe the saddest looking person ever on a tv series. I don't know, just nothing is grabbing me. Half the time it's putting me to sleep. I just started the first episode of the final season.

The one thing I can say is that it's interesting to sort of relive a lot of the 80s cold war shit. Beyond that, I got nothing.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 5:30 PM, peterien said:

The Bear. Season 2. Ep 6. Holy Shit.

On a seperate note, is Righteous Gemstones worth sticking with? I remember not thinking much of the first ep of season one. 

I’d say it’s basically Elmore Leonard + Danny McBride. Think Justified crossed with Eastbound and Down.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Phillip is maybe the saddest looking person ever on a tv series. 

No intention of talking you into something you’re not enjoying, but I will just say that Phillip continuing to find new depths for how sad a person can look was definitely a point of amusement for many fans, including myself. It’s a feature, not a bug. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

So, I'm watching The Americans but...I just can't get into this series.

I just started the first episode of the final season.

It took you FIVE FULL SEASONS to figure this out???  I dunno, sounds like it worked.

I just wish they'd release the whole thing on Blu-ray instead of DVD only.

14 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

It took you FIVE FULL SEASONS to figure this out???  I dunno, sounds like it worked.

I just wish they'd release the whole thing on Blu-ray instead of DVD only.

I don't believe I said it took me this long to figure out I couldn't get into it. I couldn't get into it early on and just stuck with is hoping it would grab my interest more.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I don't believe I said it took me this long to figure out I couldn't get into it. I couldn't get into it early on and just stuck with is hoping it would grab my interest more.

This was my experience as well. I also got into the whole "I've invested this much time in it, I might as well see how it ends" mindset. While I didn't dislike it, I didn't think it was the masterpiece it's touted as being.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

This was my experience as well. I also got into the whole "I've invested this much time in it, I might as well see how it ends" mindset. While I didn't dislike it, I didn't think it was the masterpiece it's touted as being.

It's honestly more family drama than I was expecting and season 6 is now giving parallels to Stan's original marriage, but this time between Phillip and Elizabeth. I do sorta like pitting Phillip against Elizabeth. And now I'm hearing Phillip break the news to Henry about not being able to afford Henry's tuition for the next year. It's pretty sad stuff. Also, all of the manipulating of their daughter is depressing. And again, this is a conclusion I came to awhile ago that the spy stuff doesn't seem to matter all that much and it's more like an Ang Lee family drama type of series. 

Then there's Phillip asking Stan if Stan ever worries about money and Stan is just like, "I work for the government, so, no?" I just feel really bad for Phillip. Elizabeth is a wacko hard liner and Phillip is losing everything around him. 

I’m so fucking pumped for Justified. Nearly done with the rewatch with my wife so she’s ready too. The plot could be a turd covered in burnt hair and I wouldn’t give a shit.

I think the only bummer will be not seeing Art or Tim or Rachel out probably not Duffy either. But, if they’re doing this for more than one season, it’s good that they don’t go full nostalgia right away.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2023 at 11:00 PM, Control said:

I’d say it’s basically Elmore Leonard + Danny McBride. Think Justified crossed with Eastbound and Down.

I’m on ep 5 of season 1, I’m enjoying it but I’m still waiting for it to really grab me. Will stick with it. 

Just wondering, did anyone else on here catch the final seasons/episodes of Snowfall or Mayans? I think I got most of Snowfall and Mayans just finished. I wasn't hugely invested in either of them by the time they finished. They both started out solid enough and got pretty ridiculous (as did Sons of Anarchy) but I dug both the final episodes. 

I'm a little surprised more people haven't talked at any length about Only Murders in the Building (there are as many mentions of its renewals as anything else) but it's pretty funny.  I have a little bit of a problem with how S1 developed, since the particular person with an axe to grind and have motive is, well, a little obvious and stereotypical in that regard, even if it leaned into the relatively compelling idea they went with for the reveal ep.  Hopefully S2 is better in that regard.  Frankly, this is the funniest Martin Short has been more for than 30 seconds at a time in years (Jiminy Glick was hilarious sometimes, but irritating as all get-out thrice as often), and he fucking slays a couple of episodes.

Edited by Contentious C

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

Frankly, this is the funniest Martin Short has been more for than 30 seconds at a time in years

I was an Ed Grimley mark as a kid, then I grew up and saw his other stuff. Yeah. 

EDIT: It was mostly because of Count Floyd and I loved anything -- anything -- horror, even that young

Edited by Curt McGirt

Goliath, the Showtime miniseries about Wilt Chamberlain, is really good so far. I know little about basketball (only played for one year in grade school and only watch some college ball once in awhile with others) but you don't have to to enjoy it. It's as much about the evolution of a person and a society as it is the evolution of a sport. 

On 7/20/2023 at 12:22 AM, peterien said:

I’m on ep 5 of season 1, I’m enjoying it but I’m still waiting for it to really grab me. Will stick with it. 

While I wouldn’t say it’s my favourite show ever, I have fully accepted the Gemstones into my life. 

Praise be to He.