DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 OFF SEASON

RIPPA

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I would like to think that Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern would be in serious trouble based on these kind of fucked up hazing allegations.   But it looks like he is only getting 2 weeks during the summer when it doesn't even matter

https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/1677735104599187457

The "ENTIRE" (their word, not mine) team has issued a statement basically saying "nah, this is all overblown and didn't happen and even if it did, Fitzgerald didn't know about it."

The president of Northwestern put out a statement that basically said "maybe we decided too quickly and now I'm taking a second look with other people" that makes it sound like Fitz might be unemployed soon.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The president of Northwestern put out a statement that basically said "maybe we decided too quickly and now I'm taking a second look with other people" that makes it sound like Fitz might be unemployed soon.

Yeah, his statement was hilarious. "I guess I should've asked what Fitz SHOULD'VE known", LOL. Ya think?

I feel like Fitzgerald is even more mobbed up at NW than Ferentz is at Iowa, so I’ll be really surprised if he gets ousted over this.

That said…He‘s gone 1-8 in the B1G in his last 3 non-Covid seasons. If he can’t even cling to the mythology that he’s some great Molder of Fine Northwestern Men anymore, I don’t know what we’re doing here.

I think the two former players coming forward to talk about the racism in the program was the final nail.

Good riddance.

(Also, unimportant, but I think we can officially say the COVID year really distorted team quality. Taking absolutely nothing away from what was an incredible Alabama team, but that year looks somehow even weirder now than it did then.)

9 hours ago, EVA said:

I feel like Fitzgerald is even more mobbed up at NW than Ferentz is at Iowa, so I’ll be really surprised if he gets ousted over this.

Well, this didn't age so well 🙂

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think the two former players coming forward to talk about the racism in the program was the final nail.

Ah, so another way he's like Ferentz. 

I haven't seen any stories on the racism angle to this mess. But I'll go looking now. 

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am sure that the decent percentage of people working at ESPN will treat the Northwestern story as serious and fucked up as it should be.  

You mean all the McGill graduates there, like Wilson? 

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

that 2020 Northwestern team appears to have been unstoppable in home games where no fans were allowed into the stadium

the only thing weirder than empty stadium college football was empty arena college basketball

You also had really good teams at Indiana and TAMU, Michigan had the worst season Jim Harbaugh has ever had, etc.

Then everything just kinda went back to more or less normal the next year (well, Michigan actually hit heights they hadn't in about two decades, but that's a lot closer to what they had been doing under Harbaugh before COVID.)

Hesitate to give NW too much credit here, because they clearly intended to sneak past this without really doing anything, but they eventually came around to doing the right thing, which is more than Iowa can say. So they’ve got that going for them.

• Like 1

Art Briles settled with Baylor for $20 million after being fired for much worse than this. And NW leadership didn’t do themselves any favors with their wish-washy decision making here. Lots of ammo for Fitzgerald’s lawyer to work with.

Unfortunately, he’s going to get paid a lot of money on his way out, and then likely land at a P5 DC or NFL assistant gig for a few years until he gets another shot as a college HC because there are a lot of people who don’t think this was a big deal either. Such is the world of football. But at least Northwestern is a safer place now, which is all you can ask.

The Tennessee football program avoided a bowl ban but was fined more than $8 million by the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions, which announced its punishment for the Volunteers on Friday after finding more than 200 individual infractions committed by the school.

Among the penalties handed down, Tennessee has been placed on five years' probation, was given an $8 million fine among other financial penalties and will see a total reduction of 28 scholarships; the school was credited for its self-imposed 16-scholarship reduction over the past two seasons.

The $8 million fine, which the NCAA said was "equivalent to the financial impact the school would have faced if it missed the postseason during the 2023 and 2024 seasons" is believed to be the largest ever levied in an infractions case. It could also signal a trend toward stiffer financial fines in future infraction cases.

On 7/14/2023 at 12:06 PM, Brian Fowler said:

The NCAA moving more towards fines than disrupting bowl season by having eligible teams be banned could be an interesting twist.

They finally figured out that it's messed up to punish current players for nonsense that happened under prior administrations while simultaneously understanding how to punish schools.  It's like the blind squirrel finding a nut after 100 years of searching.

• Like 4

You know how Scott Frost had only one winning season but it was a 13-0 campaign and kept him around .500 for his career?

Mel Tucker has four seasons as a head coach, and is two games above .500. But he has only one winning season. He's 12-19 the rest of his college career. If you count his interim stint with the Jaguars in the NFL, his career record is 25-24, but 14-22 outside 2021.

He is under contract for nine more seasons at just under $10 million aav.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh this Tennessee thing can't as bad as you guys are sa....

oh.  

That article is something else.  Pruitt says he drives around with a Chick Fil A bag of cash in his car because, you know, that's just what you do.  

He also made sure to throw his assistants under the bus, calling them "bad actors".