DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 OFF SEASON

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, Log said:

Help me out here, I’m a little dense. Is it that they’re the four looking to leave the ACC?

You got it. they’re not going to be in favor of anything that adds value or stability to the conference.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I understand Florida State and Clemson but where in the world was the North Carolina teams going to?  I cant imagine the SEC having any interest in them

I'm not sure there's much market for NC State, but UNC would be a hot commodity and could probably make their own choice between the Big Ten and SEC.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

I understand Florida State and Clemson but where in the world was the North Carolina teams going to?  I cant imagine the SEC having any interest in them

People really clued into the landscape of CFB consider UNC as a program and NC as a state to be sleeping giants in college football due to population migrations over the past 10-20 years. Huge football playing/loving demos there.

And that’s before you even consider the basketball brand.

NC State is part of the UNC System, so naturally they’re going to vote as a block, even if NCST is a much less attractive expansion candidate on their own. They would *attempt* to move together like the AZ schools.

• Like 1

The compromise discipline between the NCAA and Jim Harbaugh has been rejected by the Committee on Infractions.  

He was supposed to serve a 4 game suspension to start the season.  He should coach the entire season for UMich.  He'll now go in front of the Committee in 2024...

Which will probably be hard to do when the Cowboys hire him in the Spring. 

• Like 1

If you are looking for a reason to bet money on Alabama, here's two helpful historic facts.

This is only the fourth time in the last fifteen years Bama hasn't been ranked in the AP top 2 preseason. The previous three (09, 15, and 20) all ended in national titles.

Since Sabin arrived in Bama, they have never gone more than two seasons without winning the national title.

• Like 1

Also, though it's extremely unlikely anything happens, today is the deadline for Florida State to make the brave/stupid decision to leave the ACC, pay the $120 million exit fee, and try to figure out a way to get their broadcast rights free from the grant of rights. If they don't do it today, they will be locked into the ACC for 2024-25 as well as for the season.

Again, I would be absolutely stunned if they make a move Tuesday, but it's now or not for another year.

Looks like Denver Harris may have been sent packing by LSU. If so, that  will make four players from A&M’s 2022 recruit class that have been kicked off the team they transferred to before the start of the 2023 season.  30 for 30 on that class is gonna be bonkers. 

(side note - I may have set a board record for worst tense usage there)

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 11:25 AM, RIPPA said:

Kliavkoff's counter offer to ESPN - $50 million per school

ESPN told them to go fuck themselves

Follow up on this - apparently the $50 million number came from a random professor on Kliavoff's campus 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Just watched a Colorado practice video and apparently all the players have their social media handles on the backs of their jerseys instead of names.

This is the worst thing ever.*

*It's possible I'm exaggerating, but I cannot stress how much I hate this.

• Like 3

In our neverending realignment hellscape, word is Stanford has now also broached the possibility of forgoing any money from the ACC for a few years if they get the invite, much like SMU.

Cal has a massive athletic department deficit right now, mostly from a stadium renovation that they didn't do much effective fundraising on, so it seems basically impossible they'll make that offer. But if the ACC can get the full pro rata for all three that their ESPN deal guarantees, and then only have to give 60-70% a year to Cal while not giving anything to the other two for five years... Maybe that's enough extra cash to at least shut up FSU for those years?

• Like 1

I think that SMU and possibly Stanford playing a dangerous game of forgoing money to join the ACC will end up having a negative effect with the MACs, Sun Belts and Mountain Wests of the world.

If the pseudo big boys are turning down TV money, then why in the hell are ESPN going to offer the MAC or Sun Belt any money, much less anything close to what they're getting now? 

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic