DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2021 - WEEK 15

Dolfan in NYC

When it comes to going for it on 4th down/two point conversations, in the past coaches were way too conservative. But now, they seem to have swung totally in the other direction and take too many chances. We saw that Thursday by the Chargers, now by the Ravens, and probably a dozen other examples from the weekend (Panthers did it too, went for it 4th and 1 from the 50 still in the 1st quarter, leading to a Bills TD). I am not anti-analytics but coaches need to use their own brain too, look at the situation and the players and take in the whole picture. As a fan, I love the aggression, its exciting, but it seems to not usually work out well.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

When it comes to going for it on 4th down/two point conversations, in the past coaches were way too conservative. But now, they seem to have swung totally in the other direction and take too many chances. We saw that Thursday by the Chargers, now by the Ravens, and probably a dozen other examples from the weekend (Panthers did it too, went for it 4th and 1 from the 50 still in the 1st quarter, leading to a Bills TD). I am not anti-analytics but coaches need to use their own brain too, look at the situation and the players and take in the whole picture. As a fan, I love the aggression, its exciting, but it seems to not usually work out well.

Well the Ravens did the same thing against the Steelers a couple of weeks ago and lost because of a failed 2 point conversion.  You would think Harbaugh would have learned from that...

Edited by dogwelder

1 minute ago, dogwelder said:

Well the Ravens did the same thing against the Steelers a couple of weeks ago and lost because of a failed 2 point conversion.  You would think Harbaugh would have learned from that...

At least against Pitt it felt like a good play call, but yea you'd think he wouldn't have done it again. I also had an issue with the play call vs GB as that play seemed doomed from the start, it fooled no one. Poorly handled as we all saw Andrews talk to Harbaugh, and maybe noticed Andrews didn't even stay in the huddle to hear the play because he already knew it, clearly it was going to him. They have one of the best kickers in the NFL, go to OT and see what happens there. They had the momentum.

They were scared of John Wick (Rodgers) beating them in the last 40 seconds of the game. As a Packers' fan I was surprised since Tucker is their Kicker  but happy they failed. 

Man we always SUCK against Running QBs I remember when Joe Webb lit us up. 

5 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

The Panthers did it today because the lost their kicker just before kickoff. . .not that I am complaining. ?

I can excuse the one from FG range but when they went for it from the 50 was just silly at that point in the game. Teams just see 4th and 1 and auto-go for it now. Which is fun to watch but not always logical. It was also a terrible play call on top of it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

The Panthers did it today because the lost their kicker just before kickoff. . .not that I am complaining. ?

apparently they had to stage an emergency audition for backup kicker during warm ups, in which DVDVR's Official Favorite Backup QB, P.J. Walker, won out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

apparently they had to stage an emergency audition for backup kicker during warm ups, in which DVDVR's Official Favorite Backup QB, P.J. Walker, won out.

You mean Houston Roughnecks All Time Greatest QB PJ Walker

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Duke looked like college Duke yesterday, so good for him. The Dolphins run game has been terrible all year, so it was refreshing to see it be somewhat competent yesterday.

To be completely fair, it was against the Jetropolitans and any basically competent RB could look like Walter Payton facing them.  

That being said, I'm going to be much happier next week because the Saints D is at least legit.  (Their offense is absolute trash, but still.)  Then finishing out against Tennessee and New England...  

That being said, I'm very happy for the Duke, and hoping he leads us to three more W's.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

can't spell class without A-S-S

That Chicago Bear making a tackle and looking at The Steeler's bench... unsportsman like taunting.

Tom Brady jogging to a coach on the opposite team and saying Go Fuck Yourself... totally fine, no penalty.

Proof these taunting flags are bullshit and just there for the illusion of "cleaning up the game".

• Like 6

Neither Baker Mayfield nor Case Keenum cleared COVID protocols so Nick Mullens will be starting for the Browns tonight.

And Kevin Stefanski is still out so Special Teams coordinator Mike Priefer will be acting HC

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That Chicago Bear making a tackle and looking at The Steeler's bench... unsportsman like taunting.

Tom Brady jogging to a coach on the opposite team and saying Go Fuck Yourself... totally fine, no penalty.

Proof these taunting flags are bullshit and just there for the illusion of "cleaning up the game".

still not as bad as last year's Super Bowl where Tom Brady started woofing at one of the Chiefs at the end of the first half and the guy he yelled at got the Taunting Penalty

But always worth pointing out