Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, caley said:

It feels like Vince just watched Matt Striker commentary and kept adding to the list "I'm marking out?! Add it to the list."

Eventually, it was just easier to add Matt Striker to the list as well!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

Vince banning the word “interesting” has me laughing.  I mean, “interesting” isn’t usually a word I’d use to describe modern WWE, but still....

They spparently just put out a "banned" list for Mania. Did I read this right? Is "Spear" now on the list?

"Those connected to the company were told to keep from encouraging violence in the WWE Universe too. Also, terms and talent names WWE do not have endorsement rights to were to be avoided, with Pedigree, The People's Eyebrow, Spear, and (everyone's go to phrase) Smell-La-La among said phrases" 

 

https://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-banned-list-for-wrestlemania-36-revealed

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, caley said:

It feels like Vince just watched Matt Striker commentary and kept adding to the list "I'm marking out?! Add it to the list."

 "I'm marking out, bro!"...Into the unemployment line by WWE.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Infinit said:

They spparently just put out a "banned" list for Mania. Did I read this right? Is "Spear" now on the list?

"Those connected to the company were told to keep from encouraging violence in the WWE Universe too. Also, terms and talent names WWE do not have endorsement rights to were to be avoided, with Pedigree, The People's Eyebrow, Spear, and (everyone's go to phrase) Smell-La-La among said phrases" 

 

https://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-banned-list-for-wrestlemania-36-revealed

Goldberg with his running tackle!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

Vince banning the word “interesting” has me laughing.  I mean, “interesting” isn’t usually a word I’d use to describe modern WWE, but still....

It’s weird because I think some of these are perfectly reasonable/sensible and, although I don’t agree with some, I can at least see the thinking behind them (belt/strap presumably is part of Vince’s we don’t want to be too rasslin’ thing). But then some really are just bizarre, like the aforementioned interesting and the medical centre thing. I wonder whether anyone ever questions any of this shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the medical center one is so they can work around people trying to call up local hospitals which I can see. But then again, we know it's staged so what does it matter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I think the medical center one is so they can work around people trying to call up local hospitals which I can see. But then again, we know it's staged so what does it matter.

Good point, but don't underestemate people being stupid!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The story on "interesting" was that EVERYTHING should be interesting, so if you're calling out one particular thing, it implies everything else is NOT interesting.

So basically, Philosophical Vince has been in the pipeline for years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh my. 

Brian intriduced JC to KRONE MELTZER on the pod this week. (comparing him to Uncle Tony)

and they played a clip of him that mentioned DVDVR

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Ex_tLieU8AAKgkO?format=png&name=small

Growing up during the Monday Night Wars make me so happy the WWE has legit competition with AEW being the first major promotion WWE has to contend with. The fact that WWE has gone almost 20 years without another major competitor has hurt wrestling so much..its still surreal that they are allowing this crossover. Whether Vince wakes up tomorrow and changes his mind, I think AEW has gotten the rub from WWE. It makes me think we will probably see alot more interpromotion after Vince is gone especially if it's in the hands of people that aren't Wrestling people 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Oh my. 

Brian intriduced JC to KRONE MELTZER on the pod this week. (comparing him to Uncle Tony)

and they played a clip of him that mentioned DVDVR

...I just can't escape it. Even all these years later.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In late '98 to the first half of '99 the Undertaker was at his darkest with the Ministry and the Corporate Ministry. He's said it was the least favorite time of his career. It seemed like in the Summer he was subtly becoming more of what he'd eventually become as the American Bad Ass. They'd show him coming into the Arena wearing street clothes dressed like he probably dressed normally in public. It was the first time I notice the BSK tattoo at that time. The first few weeks of Smackdown he'd be cutting interviews dressed like Biker Taker and he'd pretty much stopped talking as the Deadman. I know he had to deal with injuries which forced him to leave for a while and come back as Biker Taker. It's interesting looking back now because it's like they make it seem like he just took time away just to reappear as a completely different gimmick, when he was definitely turning into Biker Taker before he took the time off. I know Russo was big on guys becoming more of who they actually were but I wonder if that was by design having Taker morph into his actual self or if it was just something Taker decided to do on his own to slowly get away from the Deadman just like how Triple H slowly stopped being anything like the Hunter Hearst Helmsey persona. I remember a few years ago Nash claimed he talked with Taker about going to WCW. That's hard for me to believe because by mid '99 WCW doesn’t seem like the best time for someone like Taker to leave WWF for. Maybe he was talking with Nash about leaving to get more leverage against WWF on a new deal. I'm sure he probably wouldve gotten a Bret Hart type of deal signing with WCW. And honestly with Nash having so much influence, I could see Nash being in favor of Undertaker and not sabatoging him like he did Bret. I also couldn't see Nash wanting to work with Taker. After Nash claimed he was trying to get Taker to come in in '99. Taker hasn't necessarily denied it. I could really see it happening but I guess it's possible. So that's why I wonder if Taker was slowly turning into Biker Taker that Summer a way for him to show his real self subtly so that if he did go to WCW he wouldn't completely bury that Undertaker gimmick be just showing up on their TV as a different person. I'm sure it would've been a huge deal if he came back to WCW. Almost Hall and Nash Hostile Takeover vibes, and in '99 I think they definitely needed a moment like that again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By 1999, he had already done everything. Main evented Mania. Been WWF world champion. Got to headline some other PPVs and been part of major angles/storylines (some really good and many that were really bad which made him basically what Sting was to WCW in the 90s). He was there for every era and talent upheaval in the 90s. He had already exhausted what he could do as the Deadman. With Rock, Austin, and Hunter at the top of the card now, he probably felt he really didn't mean as much anymore.

I can see him deciding if WCW was willing to overpay him to make up for the lack of (new) starpower the company had at the top of the card and work something out where he didn't have to wrestle only but so often, he probably should consider it at least.

With that said, he could have easily been something like Se7en or the Demon and regret immediately coming to WCW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Taker shows up in WCW in 99, the first thing that happens is Hogan starts telling everyone that Taker needs to put him over. And Eric/Russo/Sullivan will listen.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

If Taker shows up in WCW in 99, the first thing that happens is Hogan starts telling everyone that Taker needs to put him over. And Eric/Russo/Sullivan will listen.

I don't think Hogan had as much power in 1999 as he did the previous few years. Once Eric got fired in September, I think Hulk saw the writing on the wall in addition to being injured throughout the year. So if anything, there was an opening there for a new backstage presence.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think Hogan had as much power in 1999 as he did the previous few years. Once Eric got fired in September, I think Hulk saw the writing on the wall in addition to being injured throughout the year. So if anything, there was an opening there for a new backstage presence.

That's a great point, but it also makes me think Nash was just bullshitting in the story @Ziggyis referencing. Many have referenced Taker as THE backstage presence. Hall/Nash & co. had pretty sweet deals going on down there - I have to wonder why they would want to disrupt that with Taker's presence. The only thing I could see, as others have mentioned, is just feelers sent for leverage, but I don't see a world where there are serious Undertaker to WCW talks in late '98. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...