DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v.55

Dolfan in NYC

On 1/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, Death From Above said:

I know this is very small potatoes around here but I'm actually excited to see what the halftime show is like this year. The Weeknd is definitely a guy capable of hitting one miles out of the park and all of his TV appearances for years have had cool production.

I don't have much issue with KC but I find myself a bit more excited for the halftime show this year.  Plus there's the idea that Daft Punk may be part of it and I'm trying not to get too excited about that just in case.

Now to balance that I'm also curious to see how many commercials deal with COVID.  I would suggest a drinking game but think most would be pretty hammered before second quarter trying that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't have much issue with KC but I find myself a bit more excited for the halftime show this year.  Plus there's the idea that Daft Punk may be part of it and I'm trying not to get too excited about that just in case.

Now to balance that I'm also curious to see how many commercials deal with COVID.  I would suggest a drinking game but think most would be pretty hammered before second quarter trying that.

The question is will they try to be comical with COVID related commercials or will they go all depressing like the "dead kid" spot from a few years ago.

18 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The question is will they try to be comical with COVID related commercials or will they go all depressing like the "dead kid" spot from a few years ago.

I feel kind of glad I forgot the "dead kid" spot and don't know if I want to be reminded of that.  But I'm leaning towards 1/4 comical (beer commercials mainly) and 3/4 depressing.

I think YouTube, and Apple's movie trailer's page years ago (Quicktime videos!), ruined Super Bowl commercials and movie trailers. You could basically see them all ahead of time and the same ads get replayed a bunch after the Super Bowl and they don't feel like they matter much anymore. I keep waiting for something as cool as the first preview for Independence Day where the White House blows up and I don't think we've ever had anything quite that surprising or cool since.

It's just a different day and age where information flows so fast that there's not much that's surprising outside of something like Cloverfield (was that a Super Bowl commercial? I know something Cloverfield was...) or the trailer for Independence Day 2.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

new snyder cut trailer after kickoff would be great ?

Chiefs 35 Bucs 27

That's honestly the only things I can think of. An Eternals trailer, a Shang-Chi trailer, and probably some kind of DC trailer.

16 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Given that literally no one will be watching in sports bars, restaurants, etc, and there will be less groups watching together (theoretically), will this be the most watched Super Bowl ever, ratings wise?

probably not. too many people have cut out regular TV and even though it's on network TV i can see people streaming and what not

17 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

probably not. too many people have cut out regular TV and even though it's on network TV i can see people streaming and what not

Streaming (YTTV, Hulu, Prime) is metered.

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Haven't sports ratings generally been fairly bad during the pandemic or am I just making shit up that I thought in my head?

NFL held up a lot better than everyone else, and rebounded strongly after the election, if I understand correctly.

Guarantee that half of the people are more pissed about getting half a cut than the fact a guy with COVID is cutting their hair during the Super Bowl

Also someone needs to tell people that the Mahomes rate isn't worth it ?

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

It's probably a rapid test they gave him. The barber, I'm guessing, was either mildly or asymptomatic.  They started cutting and then 'oops.' 

I don't blame the guys for scheduling the haircut, it sounded like a team-building exercise.  BUT... 

They'd all better have been wearing a mask, and as the tweet says, I hope the Chiefs paid him in full (and then some) after pulling the barber after finding out he had fucking COVID.  

Oh, and the player in the chair (and anyone else who finished before him) should be quarantining.