DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Control said:

I deleted social media from my phone, so I’m gonna ask you all to be more entertaining. 

I'm afraid I'm simply not up to that request.

• Haha 5

My day got marginally better.  The anti-vaxxer in my department got into an argument with a co-worker about Covid and it got heated and he yelled and got verbally abusive.  Lol, dude went on a several minute rant about his freedom and experimental drugs and such, then gave me a smug look and said ".... and if you want to take my freedom away, you can fire me now!"

Me: "Happy to oblige.  Follow me back to my office so we can have a chat about you intimidating a co-worker."

He thought I was kidding until I picked up the phone and called HR to explain the situation.  HR even helpfully sent a security guard to help him gather up his stuff.

He was already on thin ice because of his vaccination stance and a few work-related issues and had had a couple run-ins with the same co-worker.  I was expecting senior management to let him go after I gave him his next performance review (it was only a couple weeks away).

I usually agonize over firing people and feel bad about it for weeks, but I think I'm ok with it.  i was going out of my way not to talk to the guy, much less work with him, because of past arguments over the vaccination issue.  Something was going to have to give soon no matter what.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Staff was supposed to go back to school starting tomorrow, but we've had COVID outbreak among the staff(I though every one had been vaxed by now, but ???). We found out last week before a management team retreat(which I now on, and got an extra $1000 this summer for two similar days; my principal is awesome) that school has been delayed until the day after labor day. Anyway I thought we'd(the teachers) would have to be at school anyway, but just got an email that teachers don't have to be at school until the 30th. Not going to complain about 3 more weeks of vacation, but this is going to be hell on our schedule and the kids, so  here we go again. . .

Had a COVID scare today. Test came back negative, thankfully. After 18 months of doing everything right and staying the fuck home, I decided that I didn’t want to miss my niece’s graduation from Culinary school. She worked her ass off and obviously, had the same sort of trying school year as every other student out there. To say that I’m proud is the understatement of a lifetime. So…I flew from Nashville back to PA. Made a pit stop to visit my other niece and nephew from my wife’s side of the family. Hung out with the kiddos for a few hours and went straight to my sister’s place.

Turns out, the day after my visit, my BIL started having symptoms and tested positive.I wasn’t really around him much, but certainly close enough to catch it. I am absolutely mortified by the idea that I may have unknowingly exposed like…thousands of people. Had/having a rough mental health day because of it, even after the negative result. Yes, I was masked everywhere but with family and yes, we’re all vaccinated (other than the kids), but I still feel irresponsible. Will definitely be going back to just hanging out inside for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

This is where we whine about how slimy insurance companies are, right?

So, my wife tried to refill her Synthroid (thyroid med) prescription last week, only to find that Blue Cross won't cover it any longer.  They insist on the generic instead.  One problem here.  Generic thyroid meds are known to have significantly greater variance in the actual dosage than Synthroid.  That variance is large enough to make it unsafe for thyroid cancer patients, who need a very tightly controlled dose to prevent recurrence of the cancer, so she cannot use the generic.

She's spent half a day of work time fighting with the insurance company, whose response eventually boils down to just saying we just don't give a damn.  You'll take the generic and like it. 

The difference in cost isn't even that significant.  We'll probably end up just buying the meds ourselves

So, my takeaways from this (none of which are new, this is just reinforcement of known stuff) :

- insurance is truly in the slimiest of all industries.  They're the only folks I can think of whose success is predicated on not providing the service you've paid for

- Our employer loses the time she spent working on all that nonsense when she would've normally been doing something productive (and the time I've spent moaning about it on a wrestling message board).  She gets paid significantly more for four hours work than this med costs for a year.  I'm sure there's a VP somewhere who's about to make senior VP because he saved money on insurance costs for the company.  Meanwhile, there's a bunch of employees spending their time dealing with this garbage instead of working, probably costing the company much more than they saved).

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Robert C said:

- They're the only folks I can think of whose success is predicated on not providing the service you've paid for

And herein we have the crux of the entire problem.

• Like 1

Against the odds, Rayven has made her 6th Birthday today. It's been a day of mixed emotions. Happiness that she's here to see it but knowing there's the terminal cancer. Rayven has a rare and aggressive tumour. The upset part is kicking in more right now. Getting choked up typing this. I can't put into words how much I love the Rayven and what she means to me.

• Like 5

I got what I consider a pretty compelling match on a dating app this morning.

Problem is, the same woman has matched me at least once before, maybe 2 or 3 times, and she ends up either unmatching or letting it expire rather than talk to me.  The travel distance to where she lives is a bit of a haul, but hardly insurmountable.  Mostly just shitty Beltway traffic to contend with.

I'm sorely tempted to put a prompt in my profile that says, "Hi Katie, if you're seeing this and thinking of matching (again!), please talk to me or just don't match at all.  You seem lovely and I'd be thrilled to get to know you, but it sucks getting my hopes up that this will be the time you take a real interest."

EDIT: Big surprise, she unmatched me again. Maybe she's just an asshole.

Edited by Contentious C

5 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I got what I consider a pretty compelling match on a dating app this morning.

Problem is, the same woman has matched me at least once before, maybe 2 or 3 times, and she ends up either unmatching or letting it expire rather than talk to me.  The travel distance to where she lives is a bit of a haul, but hardly insurmountable.  Mostly just shitty Beltway traffic to contend with.

I'm sorely tempted to put a prompt in my profile that says, "Hi Katie, if you're seeing this and thinking of matching (again!), please talk to me or just don't match at all.  You seem lovely and I'd be thrilled to get to know you, but it sucks getting my hopes up that this will be the time you take a real interest."

EDIT: Big surprise, she unmatched me again. Maybe she's just an asshole.

That's just weird.

The really weird thing is that she's not the only one! The other one who did it multiple times is Catholic, though, so it was easier to not get too interested in her.  I guess there could be something else going on that constitutes a bug in the app, or it could happen from deleting and reinstalling, but I doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

Immensely proud of my wife.  There's been a lot of debate in our college town about whether or not the school - my alma mater - should require vaccination or not.   School seems to be leaning against it.  My wife wanted to email the school and state our support for a vaccination requirement.  Somehow, this ended up with her calling the university president's office and asking for an appointment.  When the secretary brushed her off, she pulled - for the first time in her life, I'm sure - the "Don't you know who we are" card.

We got our appt.   I'm assuming my wife will eloquently and intelligently explain the benefits of a vaccination requirement, the support from the community, the minimal resistance other schools have met when they required vaccinations.

I'll probably just be a jerk and summarize everything we've done for the school and the local hospital system the school owns.  The fundraising, the thousands of hours we've volunteered over the past 20 years, the instructor of the year award my wife won from the med school a few years back, the committees we've been appointed to, etc.  Then I'll probably point out that we're almost 50 years old and get tired easily.  Maybe we need to cut back and sleep more.

It's a bluff.  We're not about to stop volunteering or doing any of the other things.  But I doubt the president knows us well enough to be sure of that. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 4

I have about 28 days left before I move into a new place, but the fucking dipshits who live beneath me continue to make everyone's lives around them worse.

I don't think I posted about this before.  These brain donors basically hit the ground fighting from the first week they were here.  They still have shouting matches bad enough that I have called the cops on them at least 4 times by now. They used to leave the front door to their apartment open as often as not, because apparently they were raised in a barn - at least until their stupid fucking baby got old enough that it could just wander out, because me yelling at them to shut it for a year did nothing.  They fucking STINK when they walk out of their place; the stench just assaults you as you walk through it, and I can even smell it in my kitchen sometimes if it makes its way up the pipes.  I had to put up with literally *six straight months, every single day* of the dipshit mom pounding on the walls or floors directly under my bed while she was doing who knows what in the morning.  They slam EVERY door they come into contact with like it's an Olympic sport they're trying to medal in.  I have filed something like seven separate noise complaints against them because they're so pervasively loud, obnoxious, self-involved, and fucking ignorant about their behavior.  Granted, the management/ownership here is also very much at fault for not holding their feet to the fire, but these lackwits do stuff I wouldn't even think about doing (like dragging wooden chairs and furniture across the hardwood floors of the apartment you are RENTING), and they were doing it before their bound-to-be-as-stupid-and-useless-as-them baby ever existed.

But, today.  Today, we had someone else move in, and there were 2 unfamiliar cars parked in the lot - there are only 12 apartments and only 13 parking spaces, and they are assigned because they pretty much have to be.  So, 2 cars where they weren't supposed to be.  I asked the guy - who barely spoke enough English to understand me - if both cars were his; he said yes.  I asked him to move one of them, because it was definitely in the wrong spot.

Turns out the second car was not his; instead, it's the even-fatter-and-just-as-stupid relatives of the dipshits.  By the way, these are 2 BR apts of about 900 square feet, so having FIVE adults and a baby staying in a place like that is also completely fucking stupid, if not outright illegal.  But the piece-of-shit neighbor just told his relatives to park where the fuck ever, so that meant the new guy who just moved in didn't have anywhere to put his car properly.  I felt like a schmuck and went out and apologized to the new guy, and then I told him which spot was empty that he could probably use from now on.  But not before reaming out the management for their lack of leadership on the issue and making sure the other car was moved.  If I see it again, I'm having it towed and I will laugh the whole time.

On the plus side to all this, after I move, my cortisol levels are going to plummet so fucking much that my gym gains will be EPIC.

Got drawn into a conversation about our firm's newly announced mandatory vaccination requirement & the dude called me a Nazi (I think everyone should require vaccinations).  That's ridiculous.  Nazi's have standards (I guess).  They wouldn't take me.  Kidding aside, I could care less how the dude lives his life.  Get vaxxed then go back to whatever "Don't tread on me" power fantasy you're acting out.  Not my problem.  Anyways, it's still your choice.  You have the same choice you always have anytime your employer asks you to do something (legal) that you don't want to do: do it or find another job.  

I'm still bitter my employer makes me wear pants.  That's right, I'm an anti-pantser.  My boys were made to sway proudly in the breeze for  all to enjoy.  Wrapping them up in cloth is taking away my freedom of choice, man.

In other disquieting news, some of us won't take a drug approved by the FDA but we will take a drug used as a de-wormer in horses that's never been approved for human use and carries a bunch of nasty, potentially lethal side effects for humans.  Lol, our species may actually be too dumb to survive.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

I laugh at all these people who scream about segregation and call folks who want them vaxxed "nazis". Tell you what, lets find some black folks who are old enough to remember and ask them if it's the same thing. Let's find some holocaust survivors and/or their loved ones and ask them if some guy behind a desk telling you to get a vaccine is the same as what the Nazis did. I applaud your company for requiring them. It's not like this is a new thing either. My former brother in law worked for a company (wanna say it was an insurance company) that would not hire anyone who smoked. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

Wanna hear something unsettling?  For five consecutive nights last week I found a single dying bee crawling on the floor of my condo late at night.  Always just one bee, always in a different spot in the condo.  Then they stopped showing up.

So that's neat.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Wanna hear something unsettling?  For five consecutive nights last week I found a single dying bee crawling on the floor of my condo late at night.  Always just one bee, always in a different spot in the condo.  Then they stopped showing up.

So that's neat.

Was it something akin to this?

ShinyComplexAnchovy-size_restricted.gif

My wife has decided to quit attending church.  Kinda relieved but also somewhat sad.  Relieved because I gave up my faith when the pandemic started and that's been causing some stress in our marriage.  Sad because her faith was very important to her even a couple months ago.  She once told me she might not have agreed to go on our first date except she knew my mom and assumed I was just as devout.

I wasn't, but by the time she realized that, we were falling for each other.  I was basically a casual Catholic until the pandemic started.  Went to church once a week and major holidays.  Not a lot of interest in doing more than that.  We sent our kids to a private Catholic grade school and high school and I've been active in our parish, but I generally saw pragmatic advantages to doing those things

Even so, it's been tougher than I expected to completely give up my faith like I have.  I too was a Catholic school kid.  Guess that's tough to shake off.

18 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

If you have a choice of first thing to ever have to get surgery for, I do not recommend an abscess in your groin.

WORD.  Or stints in your heart.