DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

On 4/7/2021 at 4:13 PM, Zimbra said:

If you don't serve on a jury you'll never get a chance to nullify one, so so your civic duty.

Somehow at almost 40 I've never been called for jury duty and I'd actually like to be on one, even though I'm pretty sure I'd get cut.

I didn't get called for jury duty until after I started taking care of my Mom and had to decline since I couldn't potentially be away from her for 10+ hours. I was pissed.

I've been for Jury Duty once, in my 20s. There was a guy in there who was in his 60s, who'd done it 3 times before. And he didn't know what Reasonable Doubt was. Couldn't distinguish between fact and opinion. The one case, we deliberated for 2 days because even though it was so obviously Not Proven (and the victim deserved it), Angry Old Man kept saying "I think he's done it". Even then, we had to settle it with an 11-1 verdict.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, The Natural said:

Learnt my Auntie passed away today, she tested positive for coronavirus. Fuck. To my DVDVR MB friends who are also Facebook friends, please keep it to here for now. Thanks.

Put my Facebook tribute up today. Tributes are hard to do, to summarise a person's life and wanting to do them justice. I don't have the gift of vocabulary and way with words like my Sister and my best friend who is like a Brother do either. Hard doing them on Facebook and by far the hardest thing I've ever done was delivering a eulogy at my Mum's funeral. Fucking brutal. It's been a really bad week with my Aunt's passing, Rayven's big lump between her eyes, and looking through photos of Ralfie to make an album marking three months with us seeing how skeletal he was when we found him. So gaunt. I despise animal cruelty.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Had a huge near miss today in the car. Go to pick up my child at daycare. Waiting at the lights to turn right, green light, move about a metre and my car stalls for some reason. Hit the accelerator to go slightly and it just flies off around the corner, lose control of it in the wet, do a 360 in the middle of the road, skid off into the traffic island, and then reverse back into oncoming traffic.

Watching the whole thing unfold in slow motion and there's like 4 cars who miss me by the smallest of margins.

Not a scratch on the car. Steering is fucked. Resting heart rate still off the charts a few hours later.

Time to invest in a newer model.

• Sad 3

Well with more states making things legal and such I hope if you're taking part in some green festivities you're having a good time.  Wish I could take part but I couldn't get anything.  I'll at least put on either a stoner movie or Dr. Strange which made me feel like I was on something anyway so there's that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Had a huge near miss today in the car. Go to pick up my child at daycare. Waiting at the lights to turn right, green light, move about a metre and my car stalls for some reason. Hit the accelerator to go slightly and it just flies off around the corner, lose control of it in the wet, do a 360 in the middle of the road, skid off into the traffic island, and then reverse back into oncoming traffic.

Watching the whole thing unfold in slow motion and there's like 4 cars who miss me by the smallest of margins.

Not a scratch on the car. Steering is fucked. Resting heart rate still off the charts a few hours later.

Holy crap!  I can totally believe your heart is still racing.  When I was about 17, I was on a busy street in my hometown of Pontiac, MI when I hit the accelerator.  It went all the way to the floor and stuck there.  I have no idea how but I managed to get my foot under the pedal and lift it back up and slow down before I hit anybody or anything.  It's been "a few" years since then and my heart just now sped up as I wrote about it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Glad no harm was done.  I did something 25 years ago or so and I still remember it vividly.  Driving down a two-lane street on a warm March day after a snow.  Practically all the snow had melted except for one very small patch on the road (I remember it as being the size of a car floor mat).  I was driving too fast and lost control as I hit that patch of snow.  Did a a couple 360's and ended up in facing the wrong way in my own lane.  There was oncoming traffic in the other lane but fortunately they were a bit down the road & I didn't really come that close to hitting anyone.  Shook me up for quite a while afterwards. 

Edited by Eoae
typo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Glad no harm was done.  I did something 25 years ago or so and I still remember it vividly.  Driving down a two-lane street on a warm March day after a snow.  Practically all the snow had melted except for one very small patch on the road (I remember it as being the size of a car floor mat).  I was driving too fast and lost control as I hit that patch of snow.  Did a a couple 360's and ended up in facing the wrong way in my own lane.  There was oncoming traffic in the other lane but fortunately they were a bit down the road & I didn't really come that close to hitting anyone.  Shook me up for quite a while afterwards. 

A few years ago, we were driving home on either Christmas Eve or Christmas from the in-laws.  It was about 30 degrees or so and the (4-lane, 2 each way) highway was perfectly clear and dry.  All of a sudden an oncoming car took a left turn into our side before swerving back and hitting a couple cars.  I immediately pulled over to see I could administer aid* or whatever.  Stepped out of my car and immediately went flying up into the air after slipping.  The entire road was a sheet of ice.  Just moments earlier I'd been driving 60mph on that sheet of ice.  NOT a good feeling.  Ever since, I'm a very reluctant winter driver and strongly prefer driving in snow over "bare" conditions.

* - everyone was fine, no injuries somehow

• Like 2

I sincerely hope this begins a real societal change, where prosecutors are more likely to go after bad cops and jurors are more likely to convict, while police realize they’re less likely to get away with stuff like this, and change the way they do their jobs.  I’m in my mid 40s and should be more cynical than that but time bends toward justice and hope springs eternal.  

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Relieved and teary eyed at the verdict.

Same here.  I was prepared for a different result and am so relieved to see justice done right.  I feel for his family and it's nice to see them be able to breathe a sigh of relief. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Same here.  I was prepared for a different result and am so relieved to see justice done right.  I feel for his family and it's nice to see them be able to breathe a sigh of relief. 

I too thought there would be a different decision and the reaction to it even with the overwhelming evidence against the POS who killed George Floyd. Thank God the correct verdicts came to pass.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I sincerely hope this begins a real societal change, where prosecutors are more likely to go after bad cops and jurors are more likely to convict, while police realize they’re less likely to get away with stuff like this, and change the way they do their jobs.  I’m in my mid 40s and should be more cynical than that but time bends toward justice and hope springs eternal.  

• Sad 6

Few things:

1. I've never seen the whole George Floyd murder video. I don't think I ever will. The snippets from the news reports was bad enough.

2. The murder filmed on video was the biggest thing for the conviction of Derek Chauvin, guilty on all three counts.

3. The jury taking less than a day to come to a verdict on such a high profile trial and pressure on them, the evidence was overwhelming.

4. To go with @JLSigman's sad post, wasn't there a black boy recently shot four times by a policeman and died? It's sad that there's a blur of lives lost/cases such are the amount of them.

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Few things:

1. I've never seen the whole George Floyd murder video. I don't think I ever will. The snippets from the news reports was bad enough.

2. The murder filmed on video was the biggest thing for the conviction of Derek Chauvin, guilty on all three counts.

3. The jury taking less than a day to come to a verdict on such a high profile trial and pressure on them, the evidence was overwhelming.

4. To go with @JLSigman's sad post, wasn't there a black boy recently shot four times by a policeman and died? It's sad that there's a blur of lives lost/cases such are the amount of them.

1. I unfortunately saw it and it just destroyed me.  Still think back to that especially during the trial.

2. Turns out it was a 17-year-old who filmed it and she's starting to get some love for being a reason Chauvin's behind bars.  Much respect to her.

3. Yeah, no way they were going to drag this out especially with how high-profile this case is.

4. The common theme I heard yesterday was while it's great this result happened there's still lots of work to be done.  And this is one of the reasons why.  I hope this is the start of a movement where more fuckers end up behind bars.  But considering centuries of fucked up history (especially with the police) it's going to take some time for real change to be the norm.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

1. I unfortunately saw it and it just destroyed me.  Still think back to that especially during the trial.

2. Turns out it was a 17-year-old who filmed it and she's starting to get some love for being a reason Chauvin's behind bars.  Much respect to her.

3. Yeah, no way they were going to drag this out especially with how high-profile this case is.

4. The common theme I heard yesterday was while it's great this result happened there's still lots of work to be done.  And this is one of the reasons why.  I hope this is the start of a movement where more fuckers end up behind bars.  But considering centuries of fucked up history (especially with the police) it's going to take some time for real change to be the norm.

1. Yeah, I don't think I'll be watching the murder of George Floyd in it's entirety by Derek Chauvin.

2. Darnella Frazier. Getting love and rightly so for filming what was happening to George Floyd. Feel for those witnesses there when this was going on for that reason.

3. This too but for such a trial when the world was genuinely watching, the pressure to get the right decision and how it didn't take the jury long long because the evidence/testimonies were so damming.

4. I'm naively hoping this will change things. I stress naively. This can't be allowed to happen again yet the cycle repeats itself. Mass shootings. Nothing changes. I despair watching from England seeing them.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Throughout the trial, I kept saying, it’s nice to convict him but that’s just a quick sacrifice and does nothing to address the systemic issues in that department the made Chauvin feel like he could do what he did.  

So it’s nice to see the DOJ not letting them off the hook as they’re actually going to investigate the department. 

• Like 6