DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

On 3/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, JLSigman said:

So in the last 5 days my older brother, his ex-wife, and their older son have tested positive for COVID. They're not sure yet about the younger son, he's currently fighting off bronchitis.

Thankfully we have not been in physical contact with them since December, but Mom is worried (Martin's her first, only son, her baby, etc.) (younger son has had Reactive Airway Disease since we brought him home) and there's not a godsdamned thing we can do. Stay safe y'all.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, JL.  Stay safe and well!

• Like 2

Cool having a gay cousin and how she recently marked five years anniversary of her relationship with her girlfriend. Good stuff. I'm all for equality and I hate discrimination of any kind be it racism, sexism, religion, sexual orientation and on the grounds of disability, the latter is of special interest naturally (no pun intended!) to me.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

420 BLAZE IT MOTHERFUCKERS.

I'm not a marijuana user (with a scrip for 80mg of oxy per day wtf do I need with pot? haha), but that we don't have it legalized on a national basis is a joke. Let's face it, when New Jersey of all places is taking the lead on something that means the rest of the country is painfully out of step. Now if NY comes around, that's a big indicator that the rest of the country will follow suit. 

As I'm sure Dolfan knows, we all secretly want to be New Yorkers, being able to smoke pot legally and make jokes about Andrew Cuomo are just added bennies.

• Like 4

On 3/26/2021 at 11:11 AM, OSJ said:

I'm not a marijuana user (with a scrip for 80mg of oxy per day wtf do I need with pot? haha), but that we don't have it legalized on a national basis is a joke. Let's face it, when New Jersey of all places is taking the lead on something that means the rest of the country is painfully out of step. Now if NY comes around, that's a big indicator that the rest of the country will follow suit. 

As I'm sure Dolfan knows, we all secretly want to be New Yorkers, being able to smoke pot legally and make jokes about Andrew Cuomo are just added bennies.

Imagine living in the LiVe FrEe Or DiE state and literally being surrounded by other states where it's legal, while multiple governors of each party refuse to even consider it here... ?

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Another thing that sucks is living in a legal state and still being drug tested for jobs. Of course I can drink myself to death but if I want a job I better be clean! Motherfuckers...

Well, that is really fucked up! Now, Finland is very, very far from legalizing anything, but it goes without saying, if something would be legal, it wouldn't be tested. I mean you have to be 100% ready to work any day you show up, even if it is legal, but a residue of anything from a two or more days ago shouldn't make a difference. Personally, I have never tried anything besides alcohol, which is my favorite drink besides water and coffee.

18 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Well, that is really fucked up! Now, Finland is very, very far from legalizing anything, but it goes without saying, if something would be legal, it wouldn't be tested. I mean you have to be 100% ready to work any day you show up, even if it is legal, but a residue of anything from a two or more days ago shouldn't make a difference. Personally, I have never tried anything besides alcohol, which is my favorite drink besides water and coffee.

Until it is federally legalized here, any company can choose to drug test their employees for it since it is still federally outlawed. State by state, it ends up being up to the company to choose whether or not to test for THC. I have heard examples of some organizations dropping those tests, which is the ethical thing to do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

THC stays in your system for round about a month so there's no "two or more days ago" about it. ?

Somebody needs to start GMO the hell out of it so that it will leave one's system within, I dunno, 48 hours, because that will end up getting people in trouble for something that shouldn't be illegal anymore.

Sunday: Let me preface this by saying I'm extremely antisocial, so even in a non-pandemic year, my life would be lived like I was in quarantine anyway. But, I stupidly go out to eat with my parents and grandma for my parents' birthday dinner (birthdays are a week apart, so we always just combine them). I wear a mask (even though it's not required, and I'm virtually the only one there that's doing so). Once we're at the table, I do take it off though. Maybe this is where I fucked myself.

Monday: I'm feeling a little bloated, I guess. I had loaded up on carbs big time the day before at that dinner. I go to work that night, and around 9 or 10pm, I start to get really tired. I'm always tired, but this is a deeper level of the word "tired", if that makes sense. While I'm doing some paperwork that my job requires, I start to either focus entirely too much or I'm just outright confused, because I'm doing the same thing over and over before I realize it and have to start over a few times. My stomach starts to hurt, I'm getting a headache (which isn't uncommon for me). By the time I get off work, I've already made an appointment at a local fast pace clinic for a rapid COVID test.

Tuesday: A few hours after getting off work, I get a COVID rapid test. It's negative, but because I'm showing symptoms, they do another nasal swab (good god that shit is WEIRD), and send it off for a PCR test or whatever. That's fine - hey, I get tonight off, I can play some video games! I'm not feeling THAT bad. Yet. Fast forward a few hours, I'm sweating, my body (mainly my legs) are killing me, the nausea is intense now. Temp is only 97.5, I'm not throwing up or anything. This is so weird. Eventually I go to sleep around 7 or 8pm, wake up around 3:45am (yeah I keep really weird hours when I'm off work), use the bathroom, but it's so hot in my room that I get a little dizzy and my vision starts to get kind of blurry... and then I wake up in the floor of my room at 4:20 (nice) with a bloody lip and my right arm BURNING and in pain.

I really hope this is the flu or COVID or whatever because if it's not, something else entirely is fucking with my body and it's really uncomfortable how it's changed from day to day.

• Sad 4

I would say that I'm very jealous of all the states legalizing marijuana because Indiana will definitely be the last to do so, but I also live 5 minutes from the Michigan state line and probably 15 to 20 minutes from 3 different dispensaries there. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing to have waited until I was 40 to try this, but it does feel pretty good and the legalization of it feels like the stigma for it is gone.

• Like 3

After school today we are going to have a meeting that is sure to be a major league, weapons grade shit show. Very long story short, we are(or were? that's part of what's the meetings about) transitioning to BIE control of the school which is supposed to increase our funding and make us federal employees. Part of that process, we all have to reapply for our jobs, which makes all of us worried, but I'm qualified enough now that if I lose my job here, I'll be able to get one easily, but most of the staff is in a different boat. Add to that rumors and all other things, its been a worrying mess. We changed administrators in Jan. and he's been fairly transparent since then, but before that it was somewhat secretive. Anyway, today we learn about the process and the new staffing chart. Well a few hours ago we received an email that stated that the BIE move may not happen after all. 

We are forming a curriculum committee to revamp our text books and the like, and I'm on it, which is fortunate, considering right now I AM the social studies department. But everything is up in the air right now.

Thanks to someone in my office testing positive and 4 of the 6 people being quarantined, I am now on the last of my 7 straights nights at work, working way more hours than we are supposed to do per pay period. 

And it's the busiest we have been in months, if not years. 

I may not even leave the house tomorrow. 

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They can't just fire who they want to fire, you have to REAPPLY?! That is indeed some weapons-grade horseshit right there.

EDIT: Erased for stupidity

Turns out that we aren't going BIE after all. It turns out we would lose something like 300k doing it and a bunch of staff would lose money on the deal. The meeting last night was more about morale and support(and apparently unprecedented), and after talking to my Principal, it seems like I misread it totally. I thought that by nerfing BIE we weren't going forward with our reforms, but that's not the case at all. Over the next month we'll be hitting it hard and maybe they'll be some staff turnover as well(perhaps). Supposedly they are going to raise salaries, but I was looking forward to being a federal employee. The only potential downside is that the tribe doesn't have a pension plan, just a 401k. I like it here, its a good job, but there's still a lot to be settled. 

On 3/26/2021 at 10:11 AM, OSJ said:

Hey man, now's your time to try since New Mexico passed legalization (and expungement of convictions) last night.

I expect to see pictures of your sweet-ass dab rig by the end of the week. 

• Haha 1

Fuck this hurts to type but unless everything magically heals itself we're going to have to put our cat down.  I just hated the idea of having another pet as it hurt so much when my dog passed years ago.  But considering he was my mother-in-law's cat my wife wanted to take him in.  He was in her words a reminder of her mom and with how incredibly sweet he is it made all the sense in the word to bring him in.  And of course there were no warning signs as he had blood work last week and passed with no issues.  Plus he went down four pounds due to having a better diet and was just as happy as he can be.

But yesterday morning he let out some painful meows and was drooling so right away we took him to the emergency vet.  They said all signs were pointing to him having congestive heart failure but they'd do what they could to get him off oxygen.  Well try as they might they couldn't get that to happen and on top of that there were kidney issues where one had too much fluid and one not enough.  While she mentioned the idea of taking him to another place to see what they can do the reality is even if he were to come home he would still have all kinds of problems where he just couldn't be the same as he was.

While it is a cat he's been part of her family for ten years and I have grown quite attached to the guy in the four months he's been with us.  This all just sucks so damn bad since with her mom passing and the legal stuff coming from it (plus her being off medication for a couple weeks until she sees a Psychiatrist) she's had a whole mountain of shit happen to her in a short time.  I'm dreading 4pm so much for she'll be home then and I'll break the news to her.  At least there's a small comfort in knowing that we did everything we could for him but it's gonna hurt for some time.

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Fuck this hurts to type but unless everything magically heals itself we're going to have to put our cat down.  I just hated the idea of having another pet as it hurt so much when my dog passed years ago.  But considering he was my mother-in-law's cat my wife wanted to take him in.  He was in her words a reminder of her mom and with how incredibly sweet he is it made all the sense in the word to bring him in.  And of course there were no warning signs as he had blood work last week and passed with no issues.  Plus he went down four pounds due to having a better diet and was just as happy as he can be.

But yesterday morning he let out some painful meows and was drooling so right away we took him to the emergency vet.  They said all signs were pointing to him having congestive heart failure but they'd do what they could to get him off oxygen.  Well try as they might they couldn't get that to happen and on top of that there were kidney issues where one had too much fluid and one not enough.  While she mentioned the idea of taking him to another place to see what they can do the reality is even if he were to come home he would still have all kinds of problems where he just couldn't be the same as he was.

While it is a cat he's been part of her family for ten years and I have grown quite attached to the guy in the four months he's been with us.  This all just sucks so damn bad since with her mom passing and the legal stuff coming from it (plus her being off medication for a couple weeks until she sees a Psychiatrist) she's had a whole mountain of shit happen to her in a short time.  I'm dreading 4pm so much for she'll be home then and I'll break the news to her.  At least there's a small comfort in knowing that we did everything we could for him but it's gonna hurt for some time.

That fucking sucks. I lost my dog last year and almost couldn’t get another one from the thought of eventually having to see it die as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Control said:

That fucking sucks. I lost my dog last year and almost couldn’t get another one from the thought of eventually having to see it die as well.

Losing a pet sucks so much.  When my first dog passed I was a kid and was bummed out over the news.  But I also found out while there was a special game going on so I didn't stay that way for long.  But the second one rocked us though we were at least prepared due to how old he looked the last couple days.  We knew we had to but it hurt us especially my dad.

What's freaked me out the most is the look of pain and cries for help when I first saw him.  He was literally struggling for air as his heart went crazy.  I got him there as fast as I could and was waiting to speak with the doctor.  But I made the mistake of going to where he was in the oxygen area and he looked so much worse.  That shit's gonna haunt me for a long-ass time.  I already told my wife yesterday that I don't want another pet again and unless our eventual kid can convince us I'd rather keep it that way.  It just hurts too much.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

If I’m in an examination room waiting for a doctor and there’s a Dremel tool and a bottle of coconut oil on the counter, should I be:

a) worried

b) excited 

c) at least a little curious

d) calling 911

Are you in the US?(then d) a developing country( still d, but more understandable).

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Are you in the US?(then d) a developing country( still d, but more understandable).

In the US?

I got out alive without the aforementioned tools being put to use and with a prescription and a decent prognosis.  Maybe in the follow up visit, I’ll ask about the Dremel.

• Haha 2

Our last dog, a basset hound named Comet, barked terribly and constantly outside toward the end of her life. Our dog Leo (a dachshund) is now over a decade old and winding down probably. I absolutely dread The Decision. If it comes to that. Another issue is that our new house is gonna have stairs and I'm both afraid of him going up and down them and my folks trying to carry him up and down them. And if he's gone, I don't want to live without another dog, but if mom was so attached she can't have another around... 

• Like 1