DVDVR Message Board

Minor League/Japanese Wackiness

ChesterCopperpot

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Did they change the rules surrounding the final lock on the roster?   I seem to remember it being if you weren't on the roster on 9/1, you weren't eligible for the playoffs. 

You just have to be on the 40 man or 60 day DL

There are also special exemptions

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.)

Also folks are ineligible if they were suspended for PEDs during the year

That being said - that could all change with the new CBA

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Did they change the rules surrounding the final lock on the roster?   I seem to remember it being if you weren't on the roster on 9/1, you weren't eligible for the playoffs. 

I'm pretty sure that got changed years ago.  Terrance Gore* was on the playoff roster for Atlanta despite spending the entire season in the minors.

Gore has had an amazing career - 67 career ABs and he's got THREE World Series rings.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I'm pretty sure that got changed years ago.  Terrance Gore* was on the playoff roster for Atlanta despite spending the entire season in the minors.

Gore has had an amazing career - 67 career ABs and he's got THREE World Series rings.

Great work if you can get it.

39 minutes ago, elizium said:

Who was the sprinter who the Oakland A's had as a pinch runner during their 3-peat in the 70s? He had pretty much the same career didn't he? I'm actually not sure if he got an at-bat though

Allan Lewis who was on 2 of the WS teams

He literally was just a pinch runner

1973 was his last year and pretty much summed up how he was used

ZERO Plate Appearances. Scored 16 runs. Stole 7 bases. Was caught stealing 4 times

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Who was the sprinter who the Oakland A's had as a pinch runner during their 3-peat in the 70s? He had pretty much the same career didn't he? I'm actually not sure if he got an at-bat though

In addition to Lewis, who Rippa mentioned, they had Herb Washington in 1974 and 1975.  Washington appeared in 105 games without a single plate appearance.  He was a truly all-time great at stealing bases - 29 successes, 16 caught for a success rate of 64.4%.  That's 10% lower than John Wathan, a catcher who probably couldn't outrun me but once stole 36 bases in a season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Combining fun with baseball.

Interesting concept, but I doubt it would catch on here in the states.

It's cool, she beaned him with the next pitch for disrespecting the Sacred And Unwritten Rules Of The Game

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Meanwhile

LOL, that's just so whacky for a baseball game.

Help me out here since I know nothing about him - what's the story with Shinjo?

On 3/29/2022 at 3:00 PM, Tabe said:

Help me out here since I know nothing about him - what's the story with Shinjo?

He was the first Japanese born position player to play in the National League. Two years with the Mets and 1 with the Giants. (This was the early 2000s)

He was wacky even as a player - he was once lowered from the rafters Sting style before a game when he was still playing.

Basically he is a Japanese baseball version of Dennis Rodman

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...