Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

WWE COVID-19 RELEASE MEGATHREAD


Recommended Posts

Did Lio Rush and Darby Allin ever meet in a singles match? Tbh that's the one dream opponent I see for Lio with their fast forward style of dodging and countering moves in, to me personally, unique ways. They each have a version of spinning away from attacks running to the side out of harm's way that I think looks neat and I'm curious if this a match worth tracking down if it happened?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What if instead of saying all that stuff was "bad creative", Zack Ryder just owned it. Like "Yeah, I lost. A lot. I've got to be better."

I mean that would be a more interesting babyface to me than the typical "Fuck them, they never booked me to win but now I'm unleashed!" promos. It always felt to me that castoffs got hired by WCW and TNA just because they could cut that "Fuck the competitor promo" with no real story for bringing them in.

My ideal way of bringing in Zack Ryder is to have the Being the Elite episodes be about Cody recruiting him and him turning them down. "I couldn't win at wrestling. I'm a toy collector and podcaster now."

Then MJF starts making fun of Cody recruiting some out of work toy nerd when the golden goose is already in AEW. MJF makes fun of him so much that Zack helps Cody take on MJF and Wardlow. 

I feel like MJF/Ryder would be a great midcard feud that could elevate both guys even more. Ryder's hobbies can be the source of some dynamite riducle from MJF, and if they lean more on Ryder's hardwork ethics instead of just his awe shucks nice guy demeanor, we could really have something. Give fans a reason to root for Ryder to win the match at hand other than "He should win in AEW now because he was booked to lose in WWE then."

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Lio is entitled to be a bit of a shit - he's really, really good.

Agreed.

I would have loved them to turn the Rush/Lashley pairing into a new HBK/Nash. Given they can't seem to work out what the hell to do with Big Bobby, using him as the quiet muscle standing guard over the mouthy Rush seemed a natural fit. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious question: With all this talk about bad gimmicks and guys not being used correctly, who are the modern day Brad Armstrongs and Paul Diamonds?

The guys who are good workers yet don't give a fuck?  No matter how stupid the gimmick, as long as the check clears, they're gonna make it work.

 

Paul Diamond actually volunteered to be Max Moon, and it was his idea to become the masked Venom in Shawn Michaels' indy promotion 

 

And from every story I've heard about Brad, he was perfectly fine being The Candy Man, Arachnaman, and Badstreet.

 

Gotta earn that paycheck, brother.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

The guys who are good workers yet don't give a fuck?  No matter how stupid the gimmick, as long as the check clears, they're gonna make it work.

I feel like Cesaro might be the answer at this point in his WWE career?  He's had some utter crap to contend with and has been on the roster for a long time now.

You want me to dress like Bond? Fine.

You want me to team with Swagger? Fine.

I'm pretty sure if they decided to bring back Max Moon then Cesaro would end up doing it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I feel like Cesaro might be the answer at this point in his WWE career?  He's had some utter crap to contend with and has been on the roster for a long time now.

You want me to dress like Bond? Fine.

You want me to team with Swagger? Fine.

I'm pretty sure if they decided to bring back Max Moon then Cesaro would end up doing it.

 

I’ve felt like Nakamura has been in that roll for a long time. “You want me to punch him in the nuts and get disqualified? Ok cool, whatever.”

He’s seemed super content to float through and I don’t hold it against him at all. Get that money.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I feel like Cesaro might be the answer at this point in his WWE career?  He's had some utter crap to contend with and has been on the roster for a long time now.

You want me to dress like Bond? Fine.

You want me to team with Swagger? Fine.

I'm pretty sure if they decided to bring back Max Moon then Cesaro would end up doing it.

 

I’ve felt like Nakamura has been in that roll for a long time. “You want me to punch him in the nuts and get disqualified? Ok cool, whatever.”

He’s seemed super content to float through and I don’t hold it against him at all. Get that money.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damien Sandow went through a whole series of bad (or not completely thought out) gimmicks, in a multiple companies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

They just released some of them. Slater turned everything they gave him gold, the Colons happily went from aborted gimmick to aborted gimmick.

My last straw with the WWE was the push of the really cold B-Team comedy gimmick, and sacrificing the better comedy team of Heath Slater & Rhyno.

On Sandow... The original Damien Sandow was great. He was perfectly fine where he was. There was no need to force him into a Money In The Bank situation. If they wanted him to eventually move into a bigger spot they should’ve let him grow naturally as the gate keeper of the mid card title scene, where he was already getting over. The John Cena match was good at least. But it was downhill after that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

My last straw with the WWE was the push of the really cold B-Team comedy gimmick, and sacrificing the better comedy team of Heath Slater & Rhyno.

I like how that's the last straw. 

You put up with them for decades, but jobbing up Heath Slater* and Rhyno? That's it. 

*He's got kids to feed.

Edited by Matt D
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damien Sandow first entered WWE developmental in 2003, nine years before his main roster debut-as-Sandow. He had lots of gimmicks before that (and quite a few after). They never fully explained why the intellectual saviour of the masses became a stunt double, did they?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AxB said:

Damien Sandow first entered WWE developmental in 2003, nine years before his main roster debut-as-Sandow. He had lots of gimmicks before that (and quite a few after). They never fully explained why the intellectual saviour of the masses became a stunt double, did they?

Sandow's tour of the floor of a comic convention was a treat, back in his savior days.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I like how that's the last straw. 

You put up with them for decades, but jobbing up Heath Slater* and Rhyno? That's it. 

*He's got kids to feed.

To me it was like you are the goofy promotion with loads of comedy acts, and you really have this still funny act with Slater & Rhyno. So you decide to replace them with an incredibly unfunny act like the B-Team, and then I believe later with Hawkins & Ryder(?). On top of a lot of stuff that one bugged me the most. Like the only person I could hear through my TV spearers was McMahon in the back laughing. Where the fuck are their shirts on the streets? I still see Slater shirts, though. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

 

Upon further digging, it was Vida Scott.

 

She deleted the video, but she was pretty upset she never got a shot at the big time.

weird because she had some shots with ROH, in fact 3 of the ROH shows I attended she was at. My friends absolutely hate her because they also went to the shows and were talking with Ray Rowe and Shane Taylor and she walked by and they said hi to her and she kept walking. Apparently this happened to them at 2 shows.  She comes across as bitchy. She had a decent thing in AIW with Gregory Irons but her in ring needs work.  Great heel persona on the mic and I believe she also is or is trying to become a lawyer. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Zack started his Jersey bro gimmick on The Dirt Sheet (which along with Santino's Casa was the main outlet 10 years ago for undercard dudes to goof around for their own amusement and in many cases, come up with better stuff than was being written for them). The whole gag was that it came out of nowhere and that "woo woo woo" would be the gimmick to get him and Hawkins over. Hawkins as the baffled straight guy to this is gold. 

Zack was never as OTT on TV as he was on the web shows. I always assumed it was that the writers told him to tone it down. But he had plenty of potential as a delusional goofy heel and as a comedy face, they never made the most of him. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still remember that video and you're right in that it did start the "Woo Woo Woo" deal.  Who knew that would get him as far as it did?

But I think the world of Ryder.  The guy might not always land with his ideas but he tried everything he could to get noticed and can't help but sympathize with how they cut him down in that Kane feud.  I don't think they started the figure podcast to stay relevant in some way but they have a good following that's in hindsight been the best thing they could have done.  They can still sell merch that sells out and now it can have their likenesses instead of masked dudes with similar gear.  So I feel really bad for him but him and Hawkins are in a really great spot compared to most others that were released.

And while I haven't heard it yet it looks like this week's episode is a normal one but I'm dreading next week as they'll likely bring all this up.  Will be interesting to see where they take the podcast going forward as I'm sure they can't buy as much as they used to.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jaedmc said:

What if instead of saying all that stuff was "bad creative", Zack Ryder just owned it. Like "Yeah, I lost. A lot. I've got to be better."

I mean that would be a more interesting babyface to me than the typical "Fuck them, they never booked me to win but now I'm unleashed!" promos. It always felt to me that castoffs got hired by WCW and TNA just because they could cut that "Fuck the competitor promo" with no real story for bringing them in.

My ideal way of bringing in Zack Ryder is to have the Being the Elite episodes be about Cody recruiting him and him turning them down. "I couldn't win at wrestling. I'm a toy collector and podcaster now."

Then MJF starts making fun of Cody recruiting some out of work toy nerd when the golden goose is already in AEW. MJF makes fun of him so much that Zack helps Cody take on MJF and Wardlow. 

I feel like MJF/Ryder would be a great midcard feud that could elevate both guys even more. Ryder's hobbies can be the source of some dynamite riducle from MJF, and if they lean more on Ryder's hardwork ethics instead of just his awe shucks nice guy demeanor, we could really have something. Give fans a reason to root for Ryder to win the match at hand other than "He should win in AEW now because he was booked to lose in WWE then."

 

That's why I don't have a job in creative. I love that. It was mentioned elsewhere, I believe, but Hawkins trained MJF. I could see them working that connection too...

Edited by just drew
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AxB said:

They never fully explained why the intellectual saviour of the masses became a stunt double, did they?

Not that I recall. But I'll be damned if the house show match I saw pitting Miz and Mizdow against the Usos didn't tear the house down. Still happy I got to see that act live. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the web shows, Cabana/Goldman actually used his show (What's Crackin') to tell Ryder not to do the 'wiiwiiwiiwoo' and just stick with 'woo woo woo'.  Which I believe is advice he took.

And although the releases were shitty, everybody released had a better WWE run than Cabana.

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing really new came out of the new WON except exact date for folks non-competes

The Main Roster Talent all have non-competes until July 15

NXT Talent will be on 30 day non-competes.

And apparently everyone released is paid through April 18

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...