DVDVR Message Board

The Viceland Wrestling Documentaries

I'm sorry but there is an extensive Meltzer writeup that lists the actual match time of 57:41 (AND NOT 60:00 MINUTES THAT IS CLEARLY THE WORKED TIME) that you need to read.

Seriously, how could you not look at the picture a few pages back of Greg and Brother Bruti and not think that poor woman probably needed drugs in her life?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Meltzer:

For the new season of Dark Side of the Ring, we know of these episodes: Brutus Beefcake, Harley Race, Buff Bagwell, Kurt Angle, Chris Adams, Sandman and Black Saturday (when Vince McMahon purchased Georgia Championship Wrestling to get access to the TBS time slot in 1984).

Looking forward to Dark Side of the Ring return.

• Like 2

Chris Adams who died by gunshot age 46, whilst under indictment for manslaughter? And his killer was acquitted following a plea of self defence? Yeah, it's a real mystery.

I mean, both of the Adams brothers were really good at Judo (Chris' younger brother Neil Adams won two Silver medals at the Olympics).

35 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Harley Race

He lived through some crazy shit. 

Race was seen as a rising star in the business until a car accident put him out of action, with his leg nearly being amputated. His pregnant wife, Vivian Louise Jones, died instantly; they had been married just over a month. Karras heard about his employee's condition, went rushing into the hospital, and blocked the planned amputation, declaring it "over my dead body". In doing so, he saved Race's leg. Although he recovered, doctors told Race that he might never walk again, and his wrestling career was over. Undaunted, Race endured grueling physical therapy for several months and made a full recovery.

This was not the only car wreck IIRC. Had to pull his gun on a luchador (who, hilariously, was doing a C3PO gimmick) in Mexico once, and he carried a big-ass .357 or something all the time. His guts busted loose giving him a hernia when he hit a table in a match with Hogan. And here's one I didn't know about:

In 1978, he had a series of violent matches throughout the Midwest with the Sheik, culminating in a bloody "2x4 with a nail in it" match in front of 12,313 at Cobo Hall.

😲

EDIT: Oh, and he pulled said .357 on Hogan one time too 

EDIT II: Crap, I didn't even scroll down the Wiki to his personal life. 

His third wife, Evon, divorced him in the early 1990s after over 30 years of marriage.

His fourth wife, Beverly (B.J.) was vice president of the Commerce Bank of Kansas City. They married in late 1995, shortly after Race's career-ending car crash.

Over the years he needed surgery to his neck, hip replacements, knee replacements and had five vertebra in his back fused together due to the years of taking hard bumps. In May 2017, he broke both legs in a fall at his home, one in several places. He needed four blood transfusions during surgery. Race would continue to promote WLW until his death whilst in rehab.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, No Point Stance said:

I thought Vice had gone bankrupt. Have the showrunners found a new home?

I don't know about the bankruptcy but they've already got ads going as I think I posted in the main thread. Caught one yesterday where they were slowly zooming in on a figure (ostensibly Vince?) sitting behind a desk in a chair with his back to the camera while people talked; there were three of them. One was Cornette talking about somebody seeing giant spiders coming over a cage and one was Dibiase talking about somebody setting fire to a ring, which had to be Harley. They stopped the zoom and the number 5 came on the screen, then it went to black. Dunno what that's about.

Edited by Curt McGirt

30 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Sandman episode, fuck yeah, there better be a re-enactment of what Sandman thought he was seeing while wrestling Sabu while high on hallucinogenics at November to Remember 97 in what of the greatest train wreck matches ever. 

In my upcoming ECW history book, I talk about sitting in the crowd watching this match, wondering if it was good or bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

[Harley] lived through some crazy shit. 

hey DSOTR producers, if you haven't filmed this reenactment yet.. make it happen:

Harley Race watching the NCAA tournament at his home in 1988, then he passes out from the peritonitis that he had been working through since SNME. That sounds like the sort of reenactment that DSOTR excels at doing (Harley told that story in his book)

There's probably no shortage of stories involving stabbings

29 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

One of the few times where the answer to an "either/or" question actually is YES.

That's a spoiler! Okay, here you go:

When I was in the crowd, I was asking myself, "Is this a good match?" Nearly every move was a crazy dive involving a ladder or table, and only half of the moves landed properly. It was like eating a six-course meal, with every course being cake, and only three of the cakes were good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, No Point Stance said:

I thought Vice had gone bankrupt. Have the showrunners found a new home?

Kind of like the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry talks about the "good" kind of cancer, Vice went through the good type of bankruptcy, where you don't shut down and sell all your assets.

Speaking of Harley, they need to cover the incident where Vince decided leg-diving Harley in an attempt to kick his ass was a good idea.

• Thanks 1

They already did a full 90 minute doc called The Nine Lives of Vince McMahon (unrelated to their current The Nine Lives of... series). They, or someone else, also did a documentary called Chyna that they show which is probably why Joanie hasn't gotten an episode. It's... a hard watch.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I just need an episode on people whose asses Vince hilariously thought he'd be able to kick.  I know there's Harley Race and Frank Shamrock.  There must be more.  Adjacent to that is tough guy Vince telling Bret he'd get one free shot, and then Bret proceeding to K him TFO.

• Haha 2