DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

A third of the way through 1995 in my rewatch, and I am not entirely sure if I am ready for washed Danny Spivey to show up.

WWF had countless debuts (or returns) in 1994 to early 1995. Out of all of them, the only one to get a "marquee" match on WrestleMania was King Kong Bundy and he had a match so bad with Taker they had to run an angle in the middle of it. The Blu twins match got announced out of the blue (pun not intended) a week or so before WrestleMania when Lex and Bulldog were feuding with someone else entirely.

It's interesting that much of the WWF strategy then is to keep introducing people with very little for them to do and waiting for one of them to hit pay dirt.

4 hours ago, driver said:

Watching a 6/30/73 MSG show(on Peacock) and it's pretty entertaining.

I was working my way through a lot of the old school house shows on Peacock last year.  Very entertaining.  I'm still pissed about the Hidden Gems section disappearing though since I was unable to finish watching all of it.  

Watching an All-American Wrestling episode from September 1985 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Khi-jC0yd8 ) and it feels like there's an opening to do the "here's this important person we're introducing before the match who'll sorta get into it with the heel" thing more often than they do it these days. It's an old boxing thing afterall.

also.. Bobby Heenan's hair circa September 1985 is looking a lot like Harley Race's hair as a WCW manager. Guessing Bobby did not keep a perm for long.

Edit: man, Macho Man's American Flag themed robe is an awesome look and they could have used it later for when he was a face

Edit 2: 41 minute mark, Mean Gene joking with Kevin Dunn about Dunn trying to grow facial hair and about Adrian Adonis' aunt "dying". Always fun to pass an hour.

Edit 3: Lanny Poffo with a poem about filling his father's shoes... how did it take 3 years for them to them Lanny heel

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Watching an All-American Wrestling episode from September 1985 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Khi-jC0yd8 ) and it feels like there's an opening to do the "here's this important person we're introducing before the match who'll sorta get into it with the heel" thing more often than they do it these days. It's an old boxing thing afterall.

also.. Bobby Heenan's hair circa September 1985 is looking a lot like Harley Race's hair as a WCW manager. Guessing Bobby did not keep a perm for long.

Edit: man, Macho Man's American Flag themed robe is an awesome look and they could have used it later for when he was a face

That whole bit is an easy way to establish if someone is a face or heel when they join the promotion. 

I always loved the theme music for All American Wrestling, it’s from the same library NFL Films used and you can hear bits and pieces of it in a lot of their shows. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIdhv9G7vvw

Wrestling Most Definitely Not From The Now -- as Ray the Crippler Stevens and Nick Bockwinkel face off against Red Bastien and Billy Robinson in a fast and loose TV match for the AWA tag titles. Watch Bastien drop and hit his head on every rope, and teeter-totter Nick into elbows from Billy on the apron. They must've really wanted to put some butts in seats to put this on free television back then. 

• Thanks 2