DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This quasi works but Wayne Gretzky and Janet Jones have been married for almost 30 years

Whether it counts or not, what's left of my 13-year-old self would like to thank you for reminding me of the trailer for AMERICAN ANTHEM

My pants, however, are none too pleased with you.

Page Eight was a rather good movie. The story wasn't anything special, but I enjoyed the understated approach. No action, no sensationalism, no unnecessary romance. Just solid dialogue, good cinematography and excellent acting. The meeting with Michael Gambon and Bill Nighy near the start of the movie was great.

Hate on the new Magnificent Seven if you will but Antoine Fuqua did not forget to give Akira Kurosawa a writing credit.

The problem with that being that this new reboot clearly knows who the good guys and bad guys are... which completely misses the point of Seven Samurai and the original Magnificent Seven.

But you came to see bullets and bodies and this thing has plenty of both.  It is a perfectly acceptable clusterfucked afternoon at the movies.

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Nice Guys was incredibly funny. Dunno if it really needs a sequel like Shane Black wants but that could be interesting, at least. If not I can see it being the new Big Lebowski for the millenials. 

Yeah, I'd rather get a sequel to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang than The Nice Guys.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:08 PM, piranesi said:

Whether it counts or not, what's left of my 13-year-old self would like to thank you for reminding me of the trailer for AMERICAN ANTHEM

My pants, however, are none too pleased with you.

Fuck you, Piranesi.

american-anthem.jpg

Not even the metrosexualness and horrible acting of Mitch Gaylord or the worst song ever with Andy Taylor on lead vocals could keep Janet Jones from being hotter than the surface of the sun.

My name is JT.  I am an idiot and I paid regular theater ticket prices to go and see American Anthem.

• Like 1

1986: My Grandma's house.

[American Anthem trailer ends]

Young me looks up from t.v.

Young me stands and walks zombie-like to the bathroom

cut to: minutes later

My Grandma: "You Okay in there? You've been in there awhile!"

Me: IM OKAYJUSTALMOSTREADY PLEASE GO AWAYJUSTGETTINGEVERYITHING DONEPLEASE STOPTALKING

Cut to: My Grandma on the phone

My Grandma: I don't know. The last time he did this was...oh, remember when he saw that rerun of Three's Company with Jenilee Harrison.

Me: CAN YOU ALL PLEASESTOPTALKINGSOLOUD???????

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Nice Guys was incredibly funny. Dunno if it really needs a sequel like Shane Black wants but that could be interesting, at least. If not I can see it being the new Big Lebowski for the millenials. 

I enjoyed it but man was Gosling trying too hard to be funny in his role. Sometimes it paid off (the screaming like a girl) sometimes it was pointlessly distracting (the toilet door). I'd defo watch a sequel though, him and Crowe had great chemistry

Yeah, he could have dialed it down a little, but you have to take in mind he was supposed to be the Clouseau to Crowe's dumpy, violent straight man so he kind of had to go over the top. 

Why have I still never seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? And for that matter why have I never even heard of this (obviously awful) film? 

That movie was really really really bad and it had a monumentally horrible theme song that showed without a doubt why Andy Taylor's vocals were never showcased on Duran Duran or Power Station tracks, but wow Janet Jones was smoking hot.

She was so distracting that it never dawned on me until years later that her socks never got dirty in any of the scenes where she was training in the gym.

Gymkata is so wretched that it is phenomenal and it has mother fucking ninjas in it while American Anthem is just plain bad, but is rescued by Janet Jones being a walking fever dream and a scene where Mitch Gaylord flies off of a Horizontal Bar and nearly cripples himself.

Holy crap.  Take It Easy may be the most vile thing ever attributed to a member of Duran Duran.

High-Rise was completely insane. It's also really pretentious and showed its hand in the very first segment of the film, but the rest was some pretty inspired madness, even if it didn't all coalesce perfectly. Some of it actually came a little too close for comfort, given my social experiences and the state of the States right now. At the same time it still didn't have the gravitas it wanted to have. Flawed but fun and bizarre film. 

Has anyone read the book in full? I tried to get through it when I was in college because I really loved Crash (the movie) but it was so dark and I quit it about a quarter way through. 

I am not starting an Oscar thread already but if anyone is curious

All the films submitted by countries for Best Foreign Film

"The submitted motion pictures must be first released theatrically in their respective countries between 1 October 2015 and 30 September 2016."

And the deadline to submit is Monday

Paul Verhoeven having a movie submitted is weird to me