DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

STREAMSDAY BRUH

Thankfully, I had a new source of album streams pointed towards me so there should be a larger variety of crazy shit to check out for this stuff.

This week: complete opposites.

NEW YORK TIMES- you might have heard that I like this band called Constantines. Well here is the second folkish record from their lead singer.

cover.jpg

"Free Will" by Bry Webb

1. Fletcher
2. AM Blues
3. Positive People
4. Prove Me Wrong
5. Let's Get Through Today
6. What Part of You
7. Policy
8. Translator
9. Big Smoke
10. Free Will
11. Receive Me
12. Someplace I'm Supposed To Be

P4K- I kept forgetting this album was coming out so soon.

the-roots-and-then-you-shoot-your-cousin

"...And Then You Shoot Your Cousin" by The Roots
1. Theme From Middle Of The Night

2. Never
3. When The People Cheer
4. The Devil
5. Black Rock
6. Understand
7. Dies Irae
8. The Coming
9. The Dark (Trinity)
10. The Unraveling
11. Tomorrow

I saw Bruce Springsteen last night and it was fantastic. It's the second time I saw him. I'm a Bruce fan (as any native son of New Jersey is) but I'm not a BRUCE! FAN! My wife is one of those people so we've gone for her birthday a few times. The guy brings it and has so many great songs. I think I've heard Candy's Room like three times ever in my life and after last night I'm trying to wonder why this song isn't really famous.

That said, Tom Morello is filling in for Little Stevie on this tour and is the biggest f'n tool bag. I really didn't think I'd see someone play guitar with their teeth during The Ghost of Tom Joad.

Ultramantis Black getting some blog love for his music:

http://www.stereogum.com/1682028/ultramantis-black-west-siberian-plain/mp3s/

New album from The Roots streaming over at Pitchfork:

http://pitchfork.com/advance/436-and-then-you-shoot-your-cousin/

The new Coldplay album is streaming on iTunes, and is pretty great if you aren't one of those people that doesn't like Coldplay for whatever reason.

I saw Bruce Springsteen last night and it was fantastic. It's the second time I saw him. I'm a Bruce fan (as any native son of New Jersey is) but I'm not a BRUCE! FAN! My wife is one of those people so we've gone for her birthday a few times. The guy brings it and has so many great songs. I think I've heard Candy's Room like three times ever in my life and after last night I'm trying to wonder why this song isn't really famous.

That said, Tom Morello is filling in for Little Stevie on this tour and is the biggest f'n tool bag. I really didn't think I'd see someone play guitar with their teeth during The Ghost of Tom Joad.

Gregg, Paul Baribeau and Ginger Alford did an album full of really fast folk punk covers of Bruce songs. The album is called Darkness at the Edge of Your Town and doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, but all of the songs are posted on youtube if you go there. I think you would get a kick out of it.

• Like 1

The Shangri-Las are so under-rated.  Their songs are bizarre and intense chaotic messes of genuine emotion and violence born of Queens girls being told their whole lives that they were good for nothing. ("They said he was much too well for me.  They said a lot of things.  Well I don't care what people say.")

Listen to this and don't give up until the end.   It's eerie and dark and amazing.

• Like 2

Man, the videos I've seen of Tom Morello playing with Bruce are the best versions of Springsteen songs I've ever heard.

To each their own. But hearing the dumb Guitar Center Manager of The Year stuff Morello does is soooo awful and out of place in the context of Bruce's Ultimate Wall Of Sound motif. When he just sat in the background, I didn't notice him, which was the point. But when he stepped forward it was a crap fest.

Big ups to NILS LOFGREN, though. He killed it the whole night. It reminded of like when a starting PG on a basketball team goes down with an injury and the backup who always gives steady, quality minutes shows he can go off for 25 if needed but he knows he's best served as a supporting player.

Gregg, Paul Baribeau and Ginger Alford did an album full of really fast folk punk covers of Bruce songs. The album is called Darkness at the Edge of Your Town and doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, but all of the songs are posted on youtube if you go there. I think you would get a kick out of it.

This is great stuff. Thanks, dude.

There's been a pretty great respect for Bruce in punk circles and I think it's vice-versa. He started his show with CLAMPDOWN and it was really great. He also did London Calling at a Joe Strummer tribute, played with The Gaslight Anthem and has had Mike Ness on stage with him a bunch of times. It's a great merge, especially since I would think a lot of the really early punks probably hated the hell out of him, although The Ramones steal the same girl group stuff that Bruce does.

My favorite Bruce tale: He was playing at the Asbury Park Convention Center once on I think New Year's Eve in 2000 or so? Anyways, after one of his songs he started talking about how he had a sore throat and had to sit the next song out. The lights went out ECW style and when they reappeared, Bruce screams "ELVIS IS IN THE BUILDING!" and there's Elvis Costello, who rips through Radio, Radio, which I think is the most punk rock song ever written.

So, uh...

I made this album called "Wards." It's my fourth one, and I think it's okay, for how dark it can be. Maybe you'd think it's okay too!

You can find it here. Please take time to read the information posted about the album before hitting play. It's the stuff above the "buy now" link.

Also, if you're curious, here's a track-by-track rundown of individual changes made in the editing process. The number on each item is on what listen of the record that note was made.

I'm going to go throw up now.

• Like 2

So, after watching a few videos of Adam Lambert singing with Queen on their new tour, I feel alot better about the show, as it really is "Adam Lambert singing for Queen" and not "Adam Lambert does Freddie Mercury Karoke with Queen backing him", so I'm a lot more confortable buying tickets to finally see my favorite band ever in concert (well, half of it anyway).

So, after watching a few videos of Adam Lambert singing with Queen on their new tour, I feel alot better about the show, as it really is "Adam Lambert singing for Queen" and not "Adam Lambert does Freddie Mercury Karoke with Queen backing him", so I'm a lot more confortable buying tickets to finally see my favorite band ever in concert (well, half of it anyway).

I always come close to seeing Queen reunion shows but end up not wanting to spend the money at the last second. Adam Lambert's really not that bad as a front man. I would definitely go if the dude from fun. was playing the role of Freddie, though.

My friends saw the Queen reunion tour when Paul "The Voice" Rodgers was taking the reigns. They said it was so incredibly amazing to see thousands of people leave their seats to head to the bathroom at once when he said, "Okay, now we've got some Bad Company coming up!" or what have you.

speaking of how dead rock is, here's new songs from The Men!

This one's called Another Night

This one's called Different Days

And if you missed it they also put out this one, called Pearly Gates

And here's an in-studio radio performance of another one, called Settle Me Down.

goddamnit i need this record

EDIT: for a fun reminder, here's what they sounded like in 2010, back when they were a three piece band

Great record, and Different Days is a killer song that is even better live.

They did a show last year at a small venue during Chaos in Tejas that was one of the top 5-10 shows I've ever seen; I hadn't been blown away like that in years. You could see the band felt the same way, and the drummer just slid off his stool and sat with his back against the wall in a daze for a minute after the set ended.

So I went to see The Monkees live at The Fox Theater in Detroit last night and it was one of the best shows I've seen in my entire life!

Mike Nesmith was just so amazing, to see (he has always been favorite Monkee). Peter Tork was incredible showing off range of music ability and Mickey Dolenz is one helluva an all around entertainer. Every song I love got played. They went in chronological order from The Monkees through Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones. It also was a mixed crowd of older fans with teenagers and people in their 20s. Hell they even played Davey's full clip from Head where he sings "Daddy's Song". It was just a really good show and I can now officially cross off "See Mike Nesmith play with The Monkees live" from the bucket list

James

• Like 1

THE REST OF THE STREAMS THAT'LL COME OUT THIS WEEK DON'T MATTER.

BEHOLD, THE BEST ALBUM OF 2014.

clip1.jpg

"CLPPNG" by clipping.

1. Intro

2. Body & Blood

3. Work Work (f/ Cocc Pistol Cree)

4. Summertime (f/ King T)

5. Taking Off

6. Tonight (f/ Gangsta Boo)
7. Dream

8. Get Up (f/ Mariel Jacoda)

9. Or Die (f/ Guce)

10. Inside Out

11. Story 2

12. Dominoes

13. Ends

14. Williams Mix (f/ Tom Erbe)

If you do nothing else, listen to Story 2. It is without exaggeration the craziest composition I've heard in my life to this point. THINK OF THE GROUND THAT HAS TO COVER.

The new Parquet Courts album Sunbathing Animal comes out today. Here's a youtube link to the first single, of the same name.

I actually got a limited edition advance-release copy of the album with a screened cover and have listened to it a few times, I think it might be better than Light Up Gold. Still has a garagey no wave sound.

Going to see Morrissey at Barclays Center on the 21st. Never a superfan but this is a rare chance to see a legend live.

Wish I hadn't been stupid enough to get TNA tickets for the 26th as I'm going to miss Foreigner and Styx.

Going to see Morrissey at Barclays Center on the 21st. Never a superfan but this is a rare chance to see a legend live.

Wish I hadn't been stupid enough to get TNA tickets for the 26th as I'm going to miss Foreigner and Styx.

That may be the one thing that TNA is better than.