DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Guest The Magnificent 7

I love punk rock. But the punk rock I love is the Ramones-type stuff and its derivatives, mostly who play poppy music about girls not liking you or dumb stuff you just watched on TV. A lot of my friends, though, were into hardcore. I was always really intrigued by the 90s hardcore scene. It was really baffling to me. So much of it was built around militant veganism. Like, the toughest and scariest and most violent dudes didn't have regular doses of B-12. It still confuses me to this day. (Also: The music is absolutely awful.)

Here's a video of EARTH CRISIS, the vanguard of animal rights militarism, playing a show at Middlesex Community College in New Jersey in 1996. I went with a few of my friends to this show but it got sold out right when we got to the door. A few of my friends who got there before us did get in and said it was completely insane. Here's video proof it was. Someone throws yogurt and empty beer cans at Earth Crisis. If that's not enough, someone also runs onto the stage in a fur coat and all hell breaks out.

Punk rock trolling at its finest.

Thanks for posting that, got a kick out of it as well.  Plenty of windmill arms and kung fu kicks to boot.  Somehow that makes me lucky, too.  We should both go to Vegas.

A couple friends and I had a long running bit about devising Sabremetrics for hardcore shows, including things like Spin Kicks/48 seconds, percentage of punches thrown that are clearly intended to not hit anyone, and bandana to white belt ratio. 

• Like 2

A couple friends and I had a long running bit about devising Sabremetrics for hardcore shows, including things like Spin Kicks/48 seconds, percentage of punches thrown that are clearly intended to not hit anyone, and bandana to white belt ratio. 

Picking up change speed ratio.

Picking up change speed ratio.

What percentage of "Lawnmowers" actually have enough force to start a lawnmower.

The great Andrew WK brings it in this truly inspiring message.

Everybody should see AWK live at least once. I saw him inexplicably open for Flogging Molly and it was ridiculously fun.

Or you could have gotten the strangest fucking thing ever when he "opened" for Black Sabbath last year.  DJing.

That's right.  No band.  None of his own songs.  And not even djing in the sense of doing on the fly mash-ups.  Or even doing a brilliant job of blending the end of one song to the next.  Nope, just standing on stage, on a little platform, and playing random old metal songs and occasionally talking in between tracks, with nothing in particular to say.

It was the weirdest (and most pointless) opening act I've ever seen, and so fucking disappointing, given that they FUCKING HAD ANDREW W.K. THERE AND HE COULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING MUSIC LIVE~!

Thanks for posting that, got a kick out of it as well.  Plenty of windmill arms and kung fu kicks to boot.  Somehow that makes me lucky, too.  We should both go to Vegas.

Lucky or no, that was funny.

I was raised vegetarian, now vegan/drug abstainer (hate the term straight edge, for a ton of reasons), listened to punk my entire life. Basically the Earth Crisis target demo. Still never could get into the hardcore "scene" (littered with intolerant bigots, and leave it at that), and had/have zero problems laughing at it. The uniforms are silly, as is the choreography. But shit, I always liked metal better anyway, and probably listen to more black metal than anything at present. When you've got an In the Nightside Eclipse poster in your room (as a grade schooler), you learn not to take your music preferences - and the images they project - too seriously. Anyway, you gotta be able to laugh at yourself. 

I get needing to laugh at yourself, but I don't get going to someone else's place to belong and starting something like that. If you don't like how someone lives, don't live like that. Shit, the vegan extremist hardcore thing isn't my thing at all. So I don't go to those shows. Anyone who can go into someone's life, drop a bunch of negative bullshit, and then return safely to their circle and their world and get cheered on for doing that? Yeah, I'd call them lucky, because that's a fuckin' luxury.

Then again, maybe I'm sensitive to this since the only all ages collective-owned venue with a safe space policy in my city is getting cracked down on by their landlord while frat boys vandalize it by busting the windows.

• Like 3

Housequake is one of Prince's under-appeciated songs.

And the kick drum is the fault, mother fuckers!  A groove this funky is ON THE RUN~!

I had a mixtape in college with the extended version of Housequake and Tricky by The Time on it.

It truly was one of the greatest things I will ever own.

Pitchfork is streaming the new Rentals album.

Quick review: This album is so, so, so good. Amazing melodies/choruses/Moog lines/etc. If some new band put this together, everyone would be bugging out about this. But since it's the latest release of a forgotten Weezer side project, it will be criminally -- CRIMINALLY -- slept on.

Everybody should see AWK live at least once.

Or you could have gotten the strangest fucking thing ever when he "opened" for Black Sabbath last year. DJing.

That's right. No band. None of his own songs. And not even djing in the sense of doing on the fly mash-ups. Or even doing a brilliant job of blending the end of one song to the next. Nope, just standing on stage, on a little platform, and playing random old metal songs and occasionally talking in between tracks, with nothing in particular to say.

It was the weirdest (and most pointless) opening act I've ever seen, and so fucking disappointing, given that they FUCKING HAD ANDREW W.K. THERE AND HE COULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING MUSIC LIVE~!

yeah i saw sabbath last year as well and was really thrown off by the Andrew WK opening set. i thought it was really dumb but would've been somewhat redeemed if he had played "party hard". no such luck.

• 2 weeks later...