DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

Best:
Buzz Sawyer's Power slam
Roadies Doomsday device during their rookie year. You knew someone would eventually die
Dick Murdoch's Brain buster
Stan Hansen's Lariat
Liger's Shooting star press

Worst:
Cena's AA
Kane's Choke slam
Dusty's Bionic Elbow
Magnum TA's Belly to Belly

1 hour ago, Thunderlips said:

Best:
Buzz Sawyer's Power slam
Roadies Doomsday device during their rookie year. You knew someone would eventually die
Dick Murdoch's Brain buster
Stan Hansen's Lariat
Liger's Shooting star press

Worst:
Cena's AA
Kane's Choke slam
Dusty's Bionic Elbow
Magnum TA's Belly to Belly

I agree with most of this, but Dusty's Elbow always looked great. 

On 9/10/2016 at 8:54 PM, alstein said:

I always bought the Scorpion as like the torture rack- submissions based more on overpowering the opponent more than wearing down a part and twisting it.   I can buy a power wrestler doing a back submission (and the scorpion to me was a back and leg submission) with slams, the stinger splash,  and stuff wearing down the back.

Same here. I always thought those were good submission moves for power guys who weren't technical marvels like Luger and Sting. They would employ a basic strategy of overpowering a guy with high impact stuff to weaken whatever body part their move affected and then go for the kill. I can buy a strong guy like Sting only needing a few slams or something like that to sufficiently weaken your back enough for the Scorpion Deathlock to be an effective finish.

The belly-to-belly in general is one of the worst finishers no matter who does it - even Bayley's doesn't look that hurty.  I'd say it's one of the worst finishers used by some great wrestlers- and Shane Douglas.

Sting really had a great arsenal of power moves- he was like a power move technician with his suplexes and slams.

5 hours ago, alstein said:

The belly-to-belly in general is one of the worst finishers no matter who does it - even Bayley's doesn't look that hurty.  I'd say it's one of the worst finishers used by some great wrestlers- and Shane Douglas.

Sting really had a great arsenal of power moves- he was like a power move technician with his suplexes and slams.

Eh to each his own but I was always able to buy guys like Magnum and The Steiners using a belly to belly to finish an opponent. A quick, high impact suplex delivered by strong guys like that is enough to knock the wind out of most opponents and stun them for three seconds in my mind. I did hate when Shane would finish people in ECW with it though. Not so much his execution of it but the fact that he'd hit his opponent with chains, chairs, etc and couldn't keep a guy down but a suplex would be enough.

• Like 3

You know what would be cool? If someone used Shane's rolling neckbreaker to set up a Dragon Sleeper. Best use of a great move from a crappy wrestler that no one ever uses ever

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot he stole that from Hennig. So make it Best Use of a Great Move from A Great Wrestler That Nobody Uses Ever. And speaking of which can somebody give Wyatt the goddamn Asiatic Spike already?

19 hours ago, alstein said:

Sting had a press slam, power slam, and a vertical suplex. What else am I missing? He was pretty basic. I don't even remember him really working the small of the back for the Scorpion Deathlock.

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Sting had a press slam, power slam, and a vertical suplex. What else am I missing? He was pretty basic. I don't even remember him really working the small of the back for the Scorpion Deathlock.

He used the tombstone piledriver quite a bit. I also remember him setting up the Scorpion with a superplex especially against Flair (see the final match on Nitro).

17 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

He used the tombstone piledriver quite a bit. I also remember him setting up the Scorpion with a superplex especially against Flair (see the final match on Nitro).

If I'm not mistaken the superplex setup for the Scorpion is also what nearly killed Flair during their sad spectacle match in TNA. 

11 minutes ago, alstein said:

The tombstone was one of WCW's big transition moves.

I remember Sting Germaning and doing all sorts of suplexes to Vader at times.

There was a really nice spot in their GAB match where Sting struggled and got Vader over with a Samoan Drop. The way he struggled to get Vader up and sold made a sort of mundane move seem like a Herculean feat.

• Like 1

UWF Sting mostly used the Stinger Splash as a finisher and that became the set-up for the Scorpion in WCW when guys had the good taste to put their arm behind them and sell the impact on the small of their back before collapsing into a heap on the mat.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

UWF Sting mostly used the Stinger Splash as a finisher and that became the set-up for the Scorpion in WCW when guys had the good taste to put their arm behind them and sell the impact on the small of their back before collapsing into a heap on the mat.

I really had no idea there was any psychology to why he setup the Scorpion with the splash. I'll have to watch for the back selling now during his matches. 

Sting didn't do a lot of leg work or lower back work to set up the Scorpion. 

He used a lot of high impact though, so the general idea was that Sting's offense just took a physical toll on you until he just mercy killed you with the Scorpion.

Same principle as Ricky Steamboat killing you with science and cardio.  Nothing he did really set up the High Cross Bodyblock directly, but his arsenal of holds wore you down and made you susceptible to one last high impact move and you were too tired and too hurt to kick out.

It is pretty remarkable how Sting's offense really hasn't changed all that much since his heel days in UWF.  He's made you accept that he is a face that mostly brawls like a heel by sheer force of overwheling positive charisma alone.

• Like 2

I'm liking that post because the face eraser needs to make a comeback in the worst of ways. Love the axe bomber from both Hogan and Omori. It's like a snap, upwards clothesline (and Omori would often throw in the rad leg trip). 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:58 PM, Thunderlips said:

I never saw anything great about the bionic elbow. To me, it was just a fat guy landing on you.

If the guy is fat enough, you will stay down for a three count after an elbow drop..

Exhibit A: