DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-25-16 - The Rock Returns and Saves WWE for One Night

MGFanJay

That list of Trish's contemporaries really highlights how impressive it was for her to succeed as a wrestler. I don't think anyone's saying her in-ring resume GOAT material, you just have to look at it in context. Someone like Paige who is probably the 4th or 5th best woman in WWE today already has a better body of work than Trish, but she isn't held in high regard because it doesn't stand out relative to her peers. If Trish came up through the performance center and NXT, she'd be at the front of the pack right now. Paige in the era of bikini contests and bra and panty matches with minimally-trained models? Unlikely to leave a better legacy than Molly Holly.

Trish would be at the head of the pack ahead of Asuka, Sasha, Becky, Bayley, Paige, and Charlotte? Not in this lifetime. Trish had Fit Finlay as a trainer so let's not act like she had no one to learn from. FTR Molly was a much better wrestler than Trish, and was pretty damn over during the angle with Spike.

• Like 1

There's a big difference having a good trainer and having an environment where you can routinely have live matches with skilled wrestlers in front of a generally supportive audience. Sasha, Bayley, and Charlotte weren't on anyone's must-see list when they started either, but they got real good real fast in that environment. I'd guess someone who had the aptitude and work ethic to have moderate in-ring success in the mid 2000s women's division would probably come out of that system looking pretty good.

Go back and watch Trish vs. Steph at No Way Out 2001. It's a violent little brawl and there's more of them with Trish vs. Lita around the same time. That was rookie Trish. She would only improve from there. This idea that she couldn't go is incorrect.

I'm convinced that any of the women from that era would pretty well mop the floor with any of the divas except for maybe Paige, Becky, and Sasha. I've not been impressed by anything that Charlotte has done except make the main roster.

Nikki Bella's 2015 was far better in-ring than any comparable year for Trish, Lita, etc.

The woman that was a decade early was Molly Holly, not Trish. Other than her, none of those women compare to the top women on the main roster. Even Charlotte has probably had more good matches than Trish right now in-ring, and I dig Trish as a worker and believe Charlotte has a couple of glaring holes in her game.

• Like 1

Go back and watch Trish vs. Steph at No Way Out 2001. It's a violent little brawl and there's more of them with Trish vs. Lita around the same time. That was rookie Trish. She would only improve from there. This idea that she couldn't go is incorrect.

I'm convinced that any of the women from that era would pretty well mop the floor with any of the divas except for maybe Paige, Becky, and Sasha. I've not been impressed by anything that Charlotte has done except make the main roster.

This is a pretty crazy opinion. 

Trish should never be used in the same sentence as Kana. People have revisionist history with Trish and I'm not sure why as every match she had was aired. She did do some good things, but she was clumsy and couldn't do anything but her spots, like all of the pre-NXT divas. No matter the situation, it was the same match.

• Like 4

here working at the lowest level possible with such great talent as Amy Weber, Joy, Carmella,

She never worked with them.

Yes she did. SummerSlam 2004. Divas Dodgeball.

Is that really considered working with someone? A  semi shoot dodgeball match?

To be clear, Paige and Charlotte do not have a better body of work then Trish Stratus. Charlotte has gotten better in the last month or so but she was terrible after getting called up and Paige hasn't done anything memorable of late either.

Also, if WWE had put more of an emphasis on women's wrestling in the past maybe Trish would have had a better career.

As far as Paige is concerned, the NXT match with Emma was pretty memorable and could be seen as a stepping stone toward women's wrestling being taken more seriously.  Also, her WWE debut and win over A.J. Lee was pretty memorable.

She's turning into the female version of Big Show/Kane/Abyss in that she's turned so many times that it's hard to keep track.

To be clear, Paige and Charlotte do not have a better body of work then Trish Stratus. Charlotte has gotten better in the last month or so but she was terrible after getting called up and Paige hasn't done anything memorable of late either.

Also, if WWE had put more of an emphasis on women's wrestling in the past maybe Trish would have had a better career.

But they didn't. I'm having a hard time remembering all these classic Trish performances. She improved greatly but as others have said, she wasn't even the best woman on the roster during her run. She could be heck of awkward too.

I'd say Nikki's evolution is fairly similar to Trish's. Both started as eye candy but over a long period of time turned into pretty good wrestlers. Both even at their best can be tentative and get lost leading to really bad moments.

What body of work does Trish have? I can think of maybe 3 matches total that were maybe 3 stars at best in a good 7-8 year stretch. You got the Mickie James Mania match, which I had botches in it IIRC, maybe the Lita match on Raw and maybe like one other on there.

And then you look at someone like Manami Toyota, whose worst matches were honestly better.

Let's also not forget Trish spending half of her matches pulling her pants up.

Trish doesn't have a better brawl than Charlotte/Sasha on NXT TV 7/15/15 IMO, and I have seen those Victoria street fights. I'd put the second match Charlotte had for the title against Nikki Bella, that 7/15/15 Sasha match, and the four-way from TakeOver: Rival up against any three matches Trish has ever had in her career, and I enjoyed the Mickie James match and Lita matches (which I assume are the first three matches that would come to mind for a typical Trish fan) for the spectacle, as well as Trish's heel work against Lita in general.