DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

Regarding the entrance video in Natural's post, they couldn't even bother to make an edit and switch to a shot of the tron showing "I AM PHENOMENAL"? What the fuck. Nope, the best way to show that is how it was originally broadcasted, with Roman's dumb fucking look on his face.

And what time would they have to do this? The PPVs are uploaded to the Network literally minutes after the show has ended, which likely means they're uploading AS the show is going.

This may have already been pointed out, but everyone in the Rumble match was an active member of the current roster, and not some legend brought back for a surprise. I hope that's a trend that continues.

They also used almost their entire roster for this show. I checked earlier today and the only active non-injured roster members that were not used in some capacity for this show were Fandango, Fernando and Diego. I would be worried about my future, if I was one of those three guys.

Someone tweeted Meltzer a question about the Colons last night asking what was going on and Dave basically said they were told months ago they were being repackaged and nothing has happened since.

So yeah... they might not want to answer their phones any time soon

And to clarify - male performers not used since their were plenty of active women who did nothing last night

Has anyone considered that they wanted the reaction to sell it and not just the video?

Why would we do that.  DAMN DUNN, FOCUS ON ROMAN, ROMAN IS THE FUCKING ANTI-CHRIST!!!!

Becky hasn't caught on, and Sasha is over.  She's getting the push, Becky is cast aside until they figure something else.

Becky hasn't caught on? Last night's match was the most I've seen a crowd be in to a Women's match on the main roster in a LONG time. Becky got cheered like hell coming out, the crowd was behind her the whole way with several chants, there were no dead air spots where it sounded like they were in an empty arena, the crowd booed when Becky lost. Becky is over, and deservedly so

Seriously. Becky has been getting good reactions for weeks so it's not just an Orlando thing either.

Has anyone considered that they wanted the reaction to sell it and not just the video?

No.  They fucked it up.  See below for the correct way to do this:

1) Build anticipation

2) Identify the new wrestler

3) Crowd reaction

4) Established wrestler reaction

That's it.  They just left it at 4 with a guy who was blown up 4 minutes into a 65 minute match.. 

• Like 1

I compare it to Jericho's debut in 1999 when the huge crowd pop hit after the name "JERICHO" came up on the Titantron.  The fancam videos showed that the initial crowd reaction came when "I AM PHENOMENAL" appeared on the screen.

EDIT:  Great minds think alike.

• Like 1

Regarding the entrance video in Natural's post, they couldn't even bother to make an edit and switch to a shot of the tron showing "I AM PHENOMENAL"? What the fuck. Nope, the best way to show that is how it was originally broadcasted, with Roman's dumb fucking look on his face.

And what time would they have to do this? The PPVs are uploaded to the Network literally minutes after the show has ended, which likely means they're uploading AS the show is going.

This is complete bullshit. First of all, that's a YouTube video where they could have easily made whatever edit was necessary, regardless of what is on the Network.

Secondly, this is the same company that used to put together a PPV recap music video AS SOON AS THE PPV ENDED. "What time would they have to do this" doesn't exactly fly anymore. 

• Like 1

No.  They fucked it up.  See below for the correct way to do this:

1) Build anticipation

2) Identify the new wrestler

3) Crowd reaction

4) Established wrestler reaction

That's it.  They just left it at 4 with a guy who was blown up 4 minutes into a 65 minute match.. 

All this video did is illustrate that while I wasn't wild about the Attitude Era, good fucking god do I miss when Wrestling actually felt like something cool might happen.

• Like 1

I watched most of the show, which is the first one I've seen in a long time.

The Rumble had every recycled trope possible in there. All we needed was the "We want Bryan/Punk" chants and we woulda been set. Didn't like any of it besides AJ, Sami and Owens. Brock didn't look good coming out of it. Even though I don't love Dean, he should have won and it would have been fresh. Felt like I've been there and see it already with Roman and HHH. I love how not one of Vince's hired guns thought to throw Roman over the top rope.

I don't hate Roman that much and do think he has upside, but at some point they have to say this isn't working. It's year 3 now that they are trying to make him the man. It's not helping him or WWE. WWE put all of their marbles in on Roman though and has absolutely no one else. And as long as Vince is there, neither Sami, AJ or Kevin are going to be replacing him.

This is complete bullshit. First of all, that's a YouTube video where they could have easily made whatever edit was necessary, regardless of what is on the Network.

Secondly, this is the same company that used to put together a PPV recap music video AS SOON AS THE PPV ENDED. "What time would they have to do this" doesn't exactly fly anymore. 

They didn't make them as soon as the PPV ended. They made them during the show, and the ends were live editing. Such a weird thing to be upset over.

I don't hate Roman that much and do think he has upside, but at some point they have to say this isn't working. It's year 3 now that they are trying to make him the man. It's not helping him or WWE.

I think that's the whole point of going with H/Roman at WrestleMania. In the eyes of WWE Creative, there is no bigger star-making moment than pinning Triple H.

When beating "The Ass Kicker" at WrestleMania doesn't get the job done, then and only then they might finally come to their senses. But probably not.

I watched most of the show, which is the first one I've seen in a long time. There were some bright glimmers of hope with Ambrose, Sasha, Owens and AJ, but the HHH Rumble win was stuff I was tired of the last time he won - in 2002.

I don't hate Roman that much and do think he has upside, but at some point they have to say this isn't working. It's year 3 now that they are trying to make him the man. It's not helping him or WWE.

I mean, again, it's not that they're making him the man, it's how they're doing it, which is the most busted way possible. They need to commit. This is borrowing from another wrestler, but here's the winning formula for Roman:

Arrive

Raise Hell

Leave

That's it. That's all they need to do and just put that on repeat. What they've done is took away anything organic about how he was getting over, shoved him down the audience's throat, cut his legs out by putting Daniel Bryan in the Royal Rumble, had Vince write his lines, got cold feet at WM and had him lose to Rollins, begin building him up again, make him look like an idiot by dropping the title right after winning it, have him look like an idiot again challenging for the title, finally have him go on a rampage, commit to making him champ, rampages stop, stand there and get chastised by the boss' daughter, lose the title again about a month after losing it. If the do the alternative, which is kick ass, kick ass, kick ass, kick ass, talk a little, kick ass, win the WWE Title at WM, kick ass, kick ass, kick ass, talk a little, kick ass, etc. all the way until now, there's probably not as much gnashing of teeth. Probably...

I think that's the whole point of going with H/Roman at WrestleMania. In the eyes of WWE Creative, there is no bigger star-making moment than pinning Triple H.

When beating "The Ass Kicker" at WrestleMania doesn't get the job done, then and only then they might finally come to their senses. But probably not.

I first read this as "the Lass Kicker" and wondered why Roman would be pinning Becky Lynch.

• Like 1

I loved the Rumble top to bottom and I'm fine that HHH won the title.  Sure beats Jericho.

I was struck by how pedestrian Jericho seemed with HHH in the ring.  Theoretically, they were two Attitude era contemporaries who frequently feuded, yet Old Man Hunter, who has never left the company, seemed like such a bigger deal than Jericho, who "returned just to win the Royal Rumble" according to Cole.

They didn't make them as soon as the PPV ended. They made them during the show, and the ends were live editing. Such a weird thing to be upset over.

Stro being stro.

You really don't see the difference between editing during a PPV and uploading footage as is without editing as soon as show is over?