DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2016 POST SHOW

RIPPA

If you read this thread, you might get the idea that Dean Ambrose is the second coming of Jackie Gayda.

Holy shit guys, he's not that bad.

No, not quite that bad.

But then nobody was calling for her to win the world title either.

Fuck Dean Ambrose

But he has such great psychology! 

i4tcZpA.gif

And yet he's more over than the guy that they're shoving down our throats as DA MAN. There's a fair argument that Dean is the most over full time babyface on the roster right now. 

The most intriguing thing WWE could have done was put the belt on Roman at Survivor Series, turn him heel through joining The Authority and then have him feud with Dean going into Mania. Dean is the antithesis of what WWE would want in a champion, it makes more sense for The Authority to feud with him than for them to feud with tall, dark and handsome Roman Reigns.

Rock, Cena and Austin all had singles heel runs before their big babyface run, turning Roman heel wouldn't have meant not committing to him as "the man" 

• Like 1

Re: the Authority not firing people/Reigns not just "quitting and going to New Japan" etc.

It's not about logic. It's about ego.

They're all stubborn, egomaniacal alpha males (or females in Stephanie's case). It would be easy to fire Roman, but it would also be painless. They don't like him, and they want to break him, make him suffer. Reigns could go elsewhere, make movies, whatever, but he won't back down because he's just as stubborn as any of them.

I buy it, because most successful athletes, businesspeople, etc. make stupid decisions all the time because they don't want to look weak.

The only way they could have set up a worse Mania feud for Brock was if the Big Show took him out.  Seriously.  Vince has wasted SOOO much of both of Brock's stints in the company having him fight big guys who have no realistic shot.  I don't understand it.

Yep. And who is going to get the rub from Brock? Anyone? Roman? They had a chance to do it with Roman and they got cold feet. Much like everything with Roman though, it requires two or three shots to get it right...

History has shown us that no one will get the rub from Brock. His contract will come to an end and it will finally come time for him to lose to someone, but it won't matter because it will be such a foregone conclusion. If it turns out that Bray will be the non-CenaHHHRomanUndertaker guy to beat him, well, what a waste that will be. I'm just hoping against hope that it's someone who will actually matter, like Ambrose or Owens or someone else coming up from NXT.

They ruined Brock when they chickened out on putting Roman over last year. I mean, he's still an awesome dude to have around, but all the equity of slaying the beast is gone now. And there's no streak to get it back again.

Be was milking the pop.

I know why be was doing it, but I still laughed.

With your hatred of Ambrose going full bore, I fully expect to ready an old interview where he just trashes Buffy.

(I'm pretty much over Ambrose too, but I'll be damned if I didn't start to mark out a little bit at the thought of someone new winning.  Then I saw him throw shitty strikes at HHH.)

• Like 1

Kofi being eliminated off screen while the announcers worry about Roman was the low point of the show without a doubt.  Cole's line about how he thought Kofi was eliminated, but "with all the chaos it was hard to tell" would have worked GREAT if Big E came out from the back with Kofi still on his shoulders about 20 minutes later.

Nope.  

• Like 1

If you read this thread, you might get the idea that Dean Ambrose is the second coming of Jackie Gayda.

No, not quite that bad.

Fuck Dean Ambrose

i4tcZpA.gif

And yet he's more over than the guy that they're shoving down our throats as DA MAN. There's a fair argument that Dean is the most over full time babyface on the roster right now. 

The most intriguing thing WWE could have done was put the belt on Roman at Survivor Series, turn him heel through joining The Authority and then have him feud with Dean going into Mania. Dean is the antithesis of what WWE would want in a champion, it makes more sense for The Authority to feud with him than for them to feud with tall, dark and handsome Roman Reigns.

Rock, Cena and Austin all had singles heel runs before their big babyface run, turning Roman heel wouldn't have meant not committing to him as "the man" 

You act like WWE hasn't been forcing their chosen guy on fans regardless of reaction since Bruno. That's been SOP for WWE for 50 years outside of the aberration that was the Attitude Era. It was just easier to do and worked out better in the past. Mostly because they aqueised to the fans and didn't pull the trigger on Roman when they had planned, so now the audience knows they have power and it is a power struggle between WWE and the fans with Roman stuck in the middle.

Just cancel Mania this year because everybody sucks. Like I hope they do the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl features one of the top 10 teams in NFL history. 15-1 doesn't lie.

It does when you get to beat up on the AFC/NFC South. They're an above average team in the sea of garbage that was this year's NFC.

I don't think Ambrose is by any means "great," but it feels like his terrible work is a direct order from corporate. He was good in the Shield and Moxley could put on a show, too. The exaggerated brawling stuff and wacky offense doesn't seem like all he could be doing. So while it's terrible, I get the impression he could change it up easily.

The Rumble should have had HHH sledge hammering Roman and Ambrose out of the ring earlier and ended with the Lesnar/Bray stuff, with Bray winning the title. That way, the Roman/Authority thing wouldn't be for the title and no one would be whining about Bray being a jobber through the whole Lesnar feud.

Looking forward to the beginnings of an AJ/Owens feud tonight, if nothing else.

Count me among those that have ZERO use for Brack Stormberg. He's a fucking lump. Let Brock vaporize him or keep him off my tv forever. Vince's size fetish is fucking obnoxious.

• Like 1

Count me among those that have ZERO use for Brack Stormberg. He's a fucking lump. Let Brock vaporize him or keep him off my tv forever. Vince's size fetish is fucking obnoxious.

This is the first time he's been able to flex that fetish in years. Let the man have it. He has AJ, Zayn, KO, Neville, Cesaro, Rollins, Crews, Balor on his roster. Let him have one big guy.

No, not quite that bad.

Fuck Dean Ambrose

i4tcZpA.gif

You act like WWE hasn't been forcing their chosen guy on fans regardless of reaction since Bruno. That's been SOP for WWE for 50 years outside of the aberration that was the Attitude Era. It was just easier to do and worked out better in the past. Mostly because they aqueised to the fans and didn't pull the trigger on Roman when they had planned, so now the audience knows they have power and it is a power struggle between WWE and the fans with Roman stuck in the middle.

Daniel Bryan wasn't the first time that they acquiesced to the fans. Steve Austin was never meant to be "the guy" but he was pushed because "Austin 3:16" caught on and he was getting reactions and ratings when Vince desperately needed both. WWE even smartly used Austin's popularity to help build their man, The Rock in late 1998 and early 1999. 

And WWE also had the good sense in the past to pull the plug when something clearly wasn't working. Roman Reigns is what would have happened if the WWF had tried to push the Lex Express into WrestleMania 11 after putting the belt on Bret at WrestleMania 10. After Luger failed, the WWF had already moved onto Diesel. Today's WWE doesn't show the same willingness to say, "that didn't work" and just move onto the next guy. 

This is the first time he's been able to flex that fetish in years. Let the man have it. He has AJ, Zayn, KO, Neville, Cesaro, Rollins, Crews, Balor on his roster. Let him have one big guy.

They had all the Wyatt family, Kane, Ryback, Show and Henry in this fucking match. The only ones who are any good, Show/Harper/Henry, looked the weakest.

But people can come up with wacky name variations for him.

And it's really funny.

Right now, alternate names for that bearded paperweight are the only entertainment I can derive from him. And Stro, you're right. Who am I to stand between a gassed up grandpa and his love of enormous men? Go on Vince, enjoy all 9 feet of that mancicle!

• Like 1

And without Stroman, we wouldn't get this: 

Wyet3Ks.gif

That's the other entertainment to be gleaned from Bubba Stapworthy....watching Brock lose patience with his lack of selling and go into "hunter/killer mode" on him.

• Like 3

And WWE also had the good sense in the past to pull the plug when something clearly wasn't working. Roman Reigns is what would have happened if the WWF had tried to push the Lex Express into WrestleMania 11 after putting the belt on Bret at WrestleMania 10. After Luger failed, the WWF had already moved onto Diesel. Today's WWE doesn't show the same willingness to say, "that didn't work" and just move onto the next guy.

There's probably noone else around at the moment that Vince sees as "that guy".

He'll try again with Baron Corbin I'm sure.

Re: the Authority not firing people/Reigns not just "quitting and going to New Japan" etc.

It's not about logic. It's about ego.

They're all stubborn, egomaniacal alpha males (or females in Stephanie's case). It would be easy to fire Roman, but it would also be painless. They don't like him, and they want to break him, make him suffer. Reigns could go elsewhere, make movies, whatever, but he won't back down because he's just as stubborn as any of them.

I buy it, because most successful athletes, businesspeople, etc. make stupid decisions all the time because they don't want to look weak.

Steph point blank said HHH told her not to fire Roman, even after Reigns went MDK on his ass.  Because HHH wants to stick it to him in the worst way possible, because Roman has said that having the belt means they couldn't automatically fire him.  So taking away what Roman feels was his great asset in terms of job security is in keeping with what HHH would do.

Now, if they use that as a way of Roman going into "I've worked my ass off and have nothing to show for it, everybody dies by my hands because FUCK ALL OF YOU" mode, then let the games begin.