DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

The TrekCore guys got a look at it and said it does a good job paying tribute to the Star Trek 50th. I've found them to generally be pretty reasonable at loving the franchise on the whole but actually understanding there hasn't been new Trek on TV in over a decade and this is new shit for a new generation.

I've enjoyed the first two as "good action films". The "JJ Abrams Must Die" people need to fucking go outside, when I can say that you're goin' a wee bit far.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Can we agree at least that the Ben Hur remake looks like a flaming piece of shit?

When they announced it was being remade and I put up the news in the older version of this thread, people tried to brush it off as Ben-Hur not being that sacred. Well, I guess people want more shitty remakes. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

When they announced it was being remade and I put up the news in the older version of this thread, people tried to brush it off as Ben-Hur not being that sacred. Well, I guess people want more shitty remakes. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ben-Hur is a bad movie. Not just not sacred, it's not good. The race scene is good. The other seventy hours are dull as fuck.

*Cue Jingus with a 65 page dissertation on the sound editing*

Seriously though, I think the braintrust behind the remake were aiming lower than that. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

It is The Avengers set in the Old West.  Why am I supposed to be bitching about this?

Because it could easily be it's own movie. It looks great. But why saddle it with being a new "Magnificant Seven"? All that's gonna do is remind us that no matter how good this flick is, it's never gonna be as good as The Magnificant Seven. Denzel and Pratt are great but they ain't Yul Brynner and Steve motherfucking McQueen.

Oh, and Ben Hur with Heston is a great film. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Because it could easily be it's own movie. It looks great. But why saddle it with being a new "Magnificant Seven"? All that's gonna do is remind us that no matter how good this flick is, it's never gonna be as good as The Magnificant Seven. Denzel and Pratt are great but they ain't Yul Brynner and Steve motherfucking McQueen.

Name recognition for older people with a multiethnic cast that millenials can dig.  It is not necessarily a bad thing and it's not like the makers of the film are even bothering to hide the fact that this is a fable turned into a Western.

For some reason, people in Hollywood (especially based on Spielberg's comments last year on CBMs) are persistent that Westerns are dead. So it would make sense that studios would find the western IPs they do own and remake them instead of trying to create their own (to eventually remake 20+ years later). Even though it's not a proper Western, HBO spent so, so, so much money on Westworld (which is also multi-ethnic after the original was lily white) that it has to be a success even though the title Westworld probably doesn't do anything for anyone under the age of 35. They could've you know...named it something else and probably brought in the same audience. 

I appreciate how Vin Diesel tries to cultivate all of the characters he plays and wants the movies to do well because he thinks of Dom Toretto and Riddick and Xander Cage as brothers, but the world can live without another xXx movie.

He needs to get this fucking Riddick train back on track.  Put out another Riddick animated movie or a follow-up video game.... something.... fuck...

Had a look at the imdb page for that xXX, because I didn't really recognise anyone in the trailer (except Vin and Samuel L), and it said Mike Bisping is in this movie. So I figured, I didn't know he did acting, let's see what else he's done.

And it lists him as being in the new Twin Peaks, 2017. Lucky bastard.