DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2015 - WEEK SEVENTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/pro-football-nfl-hall-of-fame-who-doesnt-belong-worst-troy-aikman-canton

I probably shouldn't take the bait, since I'm sure this entire article is just written for reactions, but this is the stupidest list ever.

* Cris Carter scored 8 TDs in 10 playoff games, but his teams lost most of them, clearly his fault. And he didn't "feel" like a Hall of Famer.

* Harry Carson didn't pick up enough fumbles! Not like fumbles are random or anything.

* Curtis Martin was underrated! Um, yes?

* Swann and Stallworth are just like Julian Edelman! Yes, the Steelers won 4 Super Bowls during that time and the Patriots have also won 4 Super Bowls, but Julian Edelman hasn't.

* Warren Moon threw for a lot of yards! Seriously, that's his argument.

* Some Bears fan in the know says that Richard Dent was totes lazypants.

And on and on...

I'm sure you could make a perfectly reasoned argument as to why a lot of these guys maybe shouldn't be Hall of Famers, but this isn't it. I'm chalking this article up to parody.

Though Bob Griese should probably not be in the Hall of Fame, but whatevs.

Oh yeah, fuck this guy for besmirching the good name of Bud Grant.

I don't care how many denials there are, I will always be 110% convinced Chip's plan was to give the Titans an RG3 deal to get Mariota. When that fell through, he basically punted on the season. 

That feeling will be all but confirmed if he indeed lands with the Titans as many have guessed. If he takes a year off, though, then it'll be clear he's sitting back and waiting for a college job. Probably USC or LSU.

Two more tidbits about Chip:

1. The whole Eagles organization from front office down to the locker room was fed up with Chip's fanatical micromanagement.

2. Jeffrey Lurie had a meeting with Chip to try and get his take on how things have gone this season and his plans moving ahead.  Apparently the meeting went very badly, and this is why Chip was fired so abruptly.

Yeah, but which team has the shittier GM(pre giving Chip control of that) in that time as I doubt Gus is drafting and signing whatever the Jaguars put out there.

Agreed, cause making 3 straight Super Bowls, winning two, while leading a perfect season (yes, I know, half of one - shut up), leading the team to ten 10-win seasons in a 13 year career, getting an MVP, 8 Pro Bowls.... 

Nah, not HOF worthy at all. 

• Like 1

No Dave Caldwell is the GM. I just wish Chip would've waited a day or two to interview with the Eagles. They would've been stuck with Gus Bradley and the Jags could've taken a shot with Kelly. Even if everything played out like it did in Philly in Jax, the Jags would only be missing the 2015 draft class. The Jags would still have Bortles and the Allens. Also we'd have more than 12 wins in three years. The fact that 12 wins in three years is acceptable in this day and age is utterly depressing as a fan because I know that 2016 is another bust year unless suddenly Gus Bradley is going to evolve into a modern day Chuck Noll.

By the way Chip Kelly and Gus Bradley were hired the same offseason. Chip has 14 more wins. So yes I would take Chip

Bit of an oversimplification; I'm not going to go look it up, but didn't Bradley start with Chad Henne, Old MJD and Justin Blackmon's first DUI vs Chip who had the various *Seans and a pretty darn solid defense?

And I still think Jax is good within two years, assuming everybody keeps their extracurriculars in moderation.

• Like 3

By the way Chip Kelly and Gus Bradley were hired the same offseason. Chip has 14 more wins. So yes I would take Chip

Bit of an oversimplification; I'm not going to go look it up, but didn't Bradley start with Chad Henne, Old MJD and Justin Blackmon's first DUI vs Chip who had the various *Seans and a pretty darn solid defense?

And I still think Jax is good within two years, assuming everybody keeps their extracurriculars in moderation.

MJD was in Oakland, Blackmon was on DUI #2 at that time. Gus Bradley led that team to 4 wins. The next season when the Jags went with Bortles, The Allens, Marquis Lee, Toby Gerhart and got 3 wins. This season he got 5 wins. While I do not think Chip would go 10-10-6 in the win column in Jacksonville, I think he would've done better than 4-3-5 for wins from 2013-2015

Of all the times for the Pats to fucking lose; when the Steelers depend on them to beat the Jets. 

Naturally it did not help to walk into M&T Stadium not ready to play football against our most hated rivals who were eager to play spoiler.

Fucking Ravens.  Fucking lazy Steelers. I hate football.

• Like 1

No Dave Caldwell is the GM. I just wish Chip would've waited a day or two to interview with the Eagles. They would've been stuck with Gus Bradley and the Jags could've taken a shot with Kelly. Even if everything played out like it did in Philly in Jax, the Jags would only be missing the 2015 draft class. The Jags would still have Bortles and the Allens. Also we'd have more than 12 wins in three years. The fact that 12 wins in three years is acceptable in this day and age is utterly depressing as a fan because I know that 2016 is another bust year unless suddenly Gus Bradley is going to evolve into a modern day Chuck Noll.

Chip went 10-6 twice with Andy Reid's talent. And as I already pointed out, Reid didn't go 4-12 his last season because of the talent, he went 4-12 because he'd made a series of bad decisions that left his coaching staff a complete mess. After the death of DC Jim Johnson, he promoted Johnson's protege Sean McDermott, then gave up on him after two seasons. He brought in Jim Washburn to be DC in all but name (he was technically the D Line coach), then let O Line coach Juan Castillo talk him into making him DC since no real defensive coach wanted to come into a situation where they'd be a puppet coordinator,. Washburn (as well as his star pupil Jason Babin) created a caustic atmosphere where he openly mocked Castillo and others. Then on top of all of that, Reid's son died of a drug overdose. 

In other words, Chip took over a team in Philly that had talent, but was in need of a coaching overhaul. Put him with the Jags instead, he ain't having any 10 win seasons the past three years...

I don't think Chip would have 26 wins, but I don't think we'd be talking about him being the worst head coach to make it to 50 games since David Shula. Let's put it this way, if your favorite NFL team had a head coach who won 12 games in three seasons would you be happy the owner will not fire him

I don't think Chip would have 26 wins, but I don't think we'd be talking about him being the worst head coach to make it to 50 games since David Shula. Let's put it this way, if your favorite NFL team had a head coach who won 12 games in three seasons would you be happy the owner will not fire him

I don't actually disagree with getting rid of Gus, but I do think everyone short of Bill Walsh would have been missing the playoffs with you guys' "talent" and big signings like Toby Gerhart. I don't think Chip would have done much better at all.

Agreed, cause making 3 straight Super Bowls, winning two, while leading a perfect season (yes, I know, half of one - shut up), leading the team to ten 10-win seasons in a 13 year career, getting an MVP, 8 Pro Bowls....

Try a third. He started 6 of the 17 games in 72

Try a third. He started 6 of the 17 games in 72

The 6th of which was the Super Bowl.

And the hell of it is this: The Jags just need to but up on defense. Scoring points is NOT an issue for them.

Meanwhile, Miami is a package deal. You go there and you're going to have no choice but to try and make it work with Tannehill for at least a season, probably two. Bortles has shown me more in two years than Tannehill has in four.

Point taken, didn't really take into account his individual awards.

70s QB stats just look so underwhelming, but I suppose if I dump Griese, I'd have to dump every QB who played in that era.

Point taken, didn't really take into account his individual awards.

70s QB stats just look so underwhelming, but I suppose if I dump Griese, I'd have to dump every QB who played in that era.

Bradshaw is a much better option if we are retconning 70s QBs out of the Hall.

I've watched tapes of old 70s games and pre-Blount rules it's a miracle anybody passed for a 200 yards. Receivers basically had to Greco Roman wrestle their way down the field just to get open. So stats from back then are like Deadball Era baseball. You can't look at them in modern context at all.

As for Bradshaw, the Steelers absolutely would've won a couple Super Bowls with anybody behind center just because the defense had a HoF at every position. But they wouldn't have won four because he and the offense certainly bailed them out in the last two - and definitely was the primary reason they won the fourth.

I've always thought of Bradshaw as being like Brady or Roethlisberger. His numbers at the beginning of his career are pretty pedestrian as his main job was just to take care of things and not cost his team wins. As he gained more experience and their defense probably started getting older, he became more of the focal point of the offense.

The tightening of the rules against DBs definitely helped in that regard too.

I've watched tapes of old 70s games and pre-Blount rules it's a miracle anybody passed for a 200 yards. Receivers basically had to Greco Roman wrestle their way down the field just to get open. So stats from back then are like Deadball Era baseball. You can't look at them in modern context at all.

As for Bradshaw, the Steelers absolutely would've won a couple Super Bowls with anybody behind center just because the defense had a HoF at every position. But they wouldn't have win four because he and the offense certainly bailed them out in the last two - and definitely was the primary reason they won the fourth.

Bradshaw was a "game manager" in the first two Super Bowl's but they could have easily lost SBIX to the Vikings 6-2 if it wasn't for the two touchdown drives he pulled off and he had a great game in SBX even though his stats don't show it. Noll really messed with his head by pulling him in and out of so many games in 73/74 that it really didn't take until the playoffs for him to have any confidence.