DVDVR Message Board

Raw 7-13-15

MGFanJay

Rusev is surprisingly sympathetic for such a stoic dude. I was watching UpUpDownDown with him in their SFIV tournament and he was just quiet as hell, but every time he talked, he was funny. He beat a dude trying to super him and, while everyone else in the room was going nuts, deadpanned a subtly sarcastic "I jumped over your super move" to his opponent. He's really funny, though in a quiet way. In the ring, though, he has that ability to sell so nicely and build sympathy for him. He's got massive personality and is a legit great worker at this point, IMO. Dude is a massive star unless they don't want him to be, I really believe that.

Wait a sec, I just realized that Rusev did exactly that to counter people in his match on Monday!

"I jumped over your super move"

Tong Po stole that episode of UpUpDownDown too (poor Uce, heel move Mr Miller).

Rusev is surprisingly sympathetic for such a stoic dude. I was watching UpUpDownDown with him in their SFIV tournament and he was just quiet as hell, but every time he talked, he was funny. He beat a dude trying to super him and, while everyone else in the room was going nuts, deadpanned a subtly sarcastic "I jumped over your super move" to his opponent. He's really funny, though in a quiet way. In the ring, though, he has that ability to sell so nicely and build sympathy for him. He's got massive personality and is a legit great worker at this point, IMO. Dude is a massive star unless they don't want him to be, I really believe that.

There's some irony in that, with the attempts to make Lana/Ziggler a hot item, the chauvinistic Rusev is the one coming out of this mess smelling like a million bucks.

• Like 1

I honestly think Rusev may be the best seller in the entire company right now. There's a lot of time where I legitimately don't know if he's selling or jacked something up for real, and I love it.

And the way last night's scenario ended, I actually have it in my head that maybe his performance in the Ziggler/Lana angle is giving them ideas of turning Rusev himself face and running a sleazy dickhead Owens defending the US Title against Rusev, a man who lost everything but stoically claws his way back to it, winning back the US Title, winning back Lana, and winning over the hearts of American wrestling fans to the point where it is the evil Russian that ends up delivering the "maybe we can all change" speech from the end of Rocky IV.

Or someone will show Vince a YouTube clip of Zangief destroying the Bonus Level of Street Fighter II and he becomes "Russian that smashes cars with his bare hands" leading to a Lesnar vs. Rusev feud where they see how many cars they can each destroy with their bare hands. Either way, America wins.

• Like 1

Could they run a split personality gimmick with it? I'm not sure that's ever really worked before, but repeatedly failing has never been a reason to stop trying a gimmick in the past.

faces+of+foley.png

I actually didn't like the mentioned of women in UFC or soccer either, because it just felt like they were admitting they're behind the curve on this and saying "Us too! Us too!" If you had kinda let that go unsaid, the point would be stronger.

Also hate them hijacking "#GuveDivasAChance" and trying to make it their thing.

It feels like they took something organic and corporatized it.

Much like the Connor The Crusher and Warrior Award situation.

When Lita came out to do the Tough Enough intros, I thought that Booker or Billy should have done that and SHE should have been the one that interrupted the Bella's to introduce the future of the Divas division and give those girls the rub in the process.  I know Steph had to do it because it was her subtle 'Fuck You' to AJ Lee.  #GiveTHISaChanceBitch!

I think the 3 new Divas all looked like bigger STARS than any of the other 6 out there and that's the most important thing about that segment - as disjointed as it was.

I like the 3 little factions because they can book MONTHS of TV and matches off of all those dynamics and iterations.

Same goes for the Cena/Owens/Cesaro/Rusev dynamic.  I'm a little afraid they're just setting this up to pair these guys off but love all the potential matches they could do between the 4 of them.

To me Cesaro also finally looks like a STAR in his current booking.  He is so beyond ready if they keep him elevated.  That Springboard spinning uppercut... and spinning dive... DAMN!

So with all of Rollins back-up on the shelf, does that leave a Heyman heel turn as the only obvious way to screw over Brock at the Pay Per View?

When are we gonna get some "European Superpowers" faction with some combination of Barrett/Sheamus/Cesaro/Balor/Neville/Lynch/Paige/Layla?  Have Regal or Finlay manage them.

Also - Summer Rae is just dead weight at this point.

When are we gonna get some "European Superpowers" faction with some combination of Barrett/Sheamus/Cesaro/Balor/Neville/Lynch/Paige/Layla? Have Regal or Finlay manage them.

Said every single wrestling fan on the Internet, for as long as the Internet has been around.

How is this different than throwing all of the black wrestlers or Japanese wrestlers together?

When are we gonna get some "European Superpowers" faction with some combination of Barrett/Sheamus/Cesaro/Balor/Neville/Lynch/Paige/Layla?  Have Regal or Finlay manage them.

I would be all for this, if they added a Greek guy to the group the others could boss around.

• Like 2

I honestly think Rusev may be the best seller in the entire company right now. There's a lot of time where I legitimately don't know if he's selling or jacked something up for real, and I love it.

And the way last night's scenario ended, I actually have it in my head that maybe his performance in the Ziggler/Lana angle is giving them ideas of turning Rusev himself face and running a sleazy dickhead Owens defending the US Title against Rusev, a man who lost everything but stoically claws his way back to it, winning back the US Title, winning back Lana, and winning over the hearts of American wrestling fans to the point where it is the evil Russian that ends up delivering the "maybe we can all change" speech from the end of Rocky IV.

Or someone will show Vince a YouTube clip of Zangief destroying the Bonus Level of Street Fighter II and he becomes "Russian that smashes cars with his bare hands" leading to a Lesnar vs. Rusev feud where they see how many cars they can each destroy with their bare hands. Either way, America wins.

This is a really little thing, but I think it is these things that make Rusev so great.  When he was groggy and seated on the top corner about to be suplexed, and one of the other guys came and grabbed the guy about to suplex him (I forgot who was who), instead of just sitting there like pretty much everyone else does, he kinda drunkenly took a swing at the guy being pulled away.  Like I said, a small thing, but something that made sense and stood out.

I just got to watch some of the show, and I was surprised to see they debuted Becky. I felt bad that Bayley wasn't out there with them. There was certainly a lot going on in one angle. They got a good response, and I'm glad to see Sasha with the heels so the sides are more even for the matches to actually be good.

Hoss triple threat was a lot of fun. Nice to see Cesaro get these chances to shine even if it's a year late.

Damn, Rusev.

Seriously, Cesaro and Owen we all know can bring it but the big surprise was that Rusev didn't look like a squeaky third wheel, he didn't look lost and he looked like he belonged.

I'm a big fan but would not have thought his trajectory would be Sasha-like. Would never have thought Lana would be the big loser in all this.

Rusev has been awesome from day one in WWE.

It feels like they took something organic and corporatized it.

Yea, that seems to be a WWE trademark for some reason. Look at some of the NXT talent for example, the only one's who have really gone anywhere are Paige, Rollins, Reigns & Ambrose. Even then, the majority are stuck in a rut and at times Ambrose is a glorified enhancement talent putting over others. Another example is when Fandango was getting over huge with his theme tune, it went quite high on the iTunes chart, the Everton soccer team were playing his theme, fans were singing it at the Raw after WrestleMania a few years back etc & that was something which was building organically and then they took note of it and did the sing-along thing on the screen and that kinda fell flat shortly afterwards. There is a danger though if WWE did listen to the audience, because they could get behind the wrong 'horse' and end up putting the company in jeopardy. I mean, I like Zack Ryder, but if they listened to the WWE Universe when he was getting over big time and working with Cena, Punk et al he'd probably be in the main event picture right now. Same as Fandango, he'd be main eventing 'Mania with Ryder. So I think there's a time when WWE has to think, wait a minute and to pardon a pun is it best for business to put the WWE machine behind a Zack or a Fandango, or do they put all the money on a Seth Rollins, or somebody else they want to build. Some of the so-called chosen one's like Drew McIntyre, Jack Swagger to name a few haven't work out, even though they tried to push them to the moon. Why?, because they didn't really connect with the audience, although arguably the fans liked Jack when he was doing the Real American 'face stuff with Zeb. Point being, you have be careful cultivating something organic, it could turn into a triffid or alternatively you might get lucky and be able to cultivate a rose (and not an Adam Rose either ;) )  It does make you wonder when Cena steps away who the WWE will have as their #1 marquee guy, right now everything seems in a state of flux and when you come to think about it, if he worked on his charisma a little and had some more tuition on his mic work, I think the next guy should be Roman Reigns. Maybe his cousin Rocky could get him in a few of his films and build up his profile and such and that way they have a ready made next star. Although there's the downside when he could follow in his footsteps for Hollywood too. 

Is Cena taking Ico-Pro? ;) would explain his super performances this year. I wouldn't rule him out being named 2015 Wrestler of the Year in the year end polls. When you think of the haters he's had in the past that's actually a laughable statement to make, but I think John's surprised everyone this year, even those, like myself, who are part of the C-Nation.

Is Cena taking Ico-Pro? ;) would explain his super performances this year. I wouldn't rule him out being named 2015 Wrestler of the Year in the year end polls. When you think of the haters he's had in the past that's actually a laughable statement to make, but I think John's surprised everyone this year, even those, like myself, who are part of the C-Nation.

He's got a nice lead so far from the E front, but man Cesaro is just on a run of "hey, remember why you thought I was the best in the world? Yeah, I still am."

• Like 1

The problem with listening to the fans is that some people don't seem to understand that you can get good reactions in the midcard and that DOESN'T mean you automatically need to get a big push to the main event.

Just because Damien Sandow was getting good reactions with the Mizdow thing it didn't suddenly make him a main event talent. And I thought all along as soon as he stopped being Fake Miz he was gonna be dead in the water again. He needed to disappear after losing the blowoff to Miz and come back a few months later.

The problem with listening to the fans is that some people don't seem to understand that you can get good reactions in the midcard and that DOESN'T mean you automatically need to get a big push to the main event.

Just because Damien Sandow was getting good reactions with the Mizdow thing it didn't suddenly make him a main event talent. And I thought all along as soon as he stopped being Fake Miz he was gonna be dead in the water again. He needed to disappear after losing the blowoff to Miz and come back a few months later.

Personally, I don't disagree with you. But I view Sandow like I viewed Zach Ryder. He never had any main event potential, but the dude got over with crap and should be a solid IC guy. Instead they are nothing, and it kinda sucks with the crowd reactions they had.

Damn, Rusev.

Seriously, Cesaro and Owen we all know can bring it but the big surprise was that Rusev didn't look like a squeaky third wheel, he didn't look lost and he looked like he belonged.

I'm a big fan but would not have thought his trajectory would be Sasha-like. Would never have thought Lana would be the big loser in all this.

Rusev has been awesome from day one in WWE.

I was a fan back when he was breaking boards and jobbing to Ziggler in NXT. There is a vast improvement from than and now.

Personally, I don't disagree with you. But I view Sandow like I viewed Zach Ryder. He never had any main event potential, but the dude got over with crap and should be a solid IC guy. Instead they are nothing, and it kinda sucks with the crowd reactions they had.

Sandow is better than Ryder, but there's enough hot feuds to fill Raw right now and R-Truth has the comedy slot. Sandow is in a holding pattern off RAW, which is the same thing as disappearing basically.

He's got a nice lead so far from the E front, but man Cesaro is just on a run of "hey, remember why you thought I was the best in the world? Yeah, I still am."

March Madness champion baby. Thanks, Big Fresh.

Or maybe he could have, you know, not lost the blowoff match to Miz.

So then he keeps being fake Miz without The Miz there to play off of and what is the point? Then he'd be even deader.

He should have lost the blowoff match and left when people still felt sympathy for the character so when he comes back in 2-3 months people are thinking "Yay Sandow is back!" instead of having him come out like the next week or whatever it was and being the same regular old Damien Sandow that no one ever cared about again.

Hell, they can bring the European title back for that if they don't want to do garbage matches in the PG era.

And it's such a low level belt it doesn't matter who has it and can be the Superstars title.