DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 2nd Half

ChesterCopperpot

Lee would start for who exactly?  PF is a stacked position.

A few non-contender East playoff teams maybe, but a "whole bunch" is laughable.

Starting is an exaggeration.

But he would get a ton of minutes on most teams. If not every other team except for GSW. The Spurs and Hawks and Cavs would find him a lot of time. He'd be an awesome backup for Randolph in Memphis. He'd compete with Crawford for best bench guy on the Clips. Who the hell even starts at the four for Houston? He's better than any backup big on Portland, too. And Dallas.

But, yeah, he really doesn't have a spot in GSW's rotation because of how friggin' loaded they are.  They're just absolute conquerors.

He wouldn't get much run on the Cavs. Strictly worse than Kevin Love in every way, but not a different enough player to be used in change of pace bench units. I think Thompson would still get more minutes because he can defend at the 4 and play the 5 in small ball line ups. 

I guess this is pure homerism, but I think the Cavs could potentially beat the Warriors in a seven game series. Since the trades that brought in Mozgov, Smith and Shumpert (and more importantly got rid of Dion Waiters), the Cavs have been statistically even better than the Warriors. The Cavs offense since the trades has been multiple standard deviations over league average to the point where they have to be considered one of the best offensive teams ever. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. Until they tanked to make sure they didn't have to play the Heat or the Pacers, they had won 18 at home. In games where Love, James and Irving all start, they have an absolutely insane record that rivals the Warriors. Kevin Love's stats this year when coming off of more than one day rest have been very good, which not only speaks to him playing through his back injury, but also is a good sign for the playoffs where you never play back to backs and often get two days off including travel days.

The best thing for the Cavs would be for Toronto to win the three seed, because Toronto is an equally mediocre defensive team and a worse offensive team. I think the potential Celtics/Raptors/Hawks or Bulls road is way easier than the Celtics/Bulls/Hawks road.

It's Cleveland, so I fully expect them to be up by 20 in game seven of the finals before a meteor hits the stadium and somehow only kills Cavs players. I'm tempering my expectations, but I think people are sort of sleeping on the Cavs because of bogus chemistry storylines on ESPN. I really don't care if they hate each other (which they don't, by the way) because when they play together they have been straight up murdering people for the past 3 months.  

The Knicks might win a game they really need to lose. LOL.

Professional Idiot Michael Kay is ripping Harper for not intentionally trying to lose. What the fuck is he supposed to do, tell his players to not play hard or something? Other than outright match fixing how does he ensure a loss?.

I really want to see OKC vs. Golden State.   Sure, Anthony Davis is a joy to watch but he's not there quite yet.  I need to see Westbrook taking 40 shots a game for as long as they last (which wouldn't be long). This needs to happen.  Talk about going out swinging. 

It is a shame that Portland lost Matthews. He was having a good season defensively. Him, Lillard and Batum is enough perimeter defense to at least make it a series with Golden State. Plus Aldridge is a good defender as well and can cover any stretch 4s. Only concern was they still have issues winning on the road. Golden State had the best NBA crowd even back when they stunk. Be tough to play there in the playoffs and not end up walking off with a headache.

Houston also had a decent shot before Beverly and Motiejunas were both hurt. You can tell when reading the MVP debates that people undervalue Houston's roster a lot. I definitely rated them too low coming into the season. Harden's emergence on the defensive end is a big reason for that but not the only reason. They have 8 guys averaging 10 points or more. Just losing two of them is too much. Especially since Beverly is such a good perimeter defender.

Right now it does seem like it is going to end up coming down to San Antoinio, Golden State or Cleveland.

Want to make lots of money? Take all the money you have and put it on Indiana. Why? Because there is a God and apparently he fucking hates me.

I can't bet on Cleveland because there's some funky on that team and they're not going to win until it gets figured out. Miami didn't win the first year and they had playoff proven talent.

Do we trust Kyrie in a tough spot? Do we trust Kevin Love to have an impact? Will JR Smith revert back to the being a knucklehead? Does Blatt really have control of the team?

The only team I see beating the Warriors is the Spurs because if Kawhi had been on point all year, I think they'd be a lot closer in terms of record. It's just a lot to ask them to make a third straight run to the finals.

I can't bet on Cleveland because there's some funky on that team and they're not going to win until it gets figured out. Miami didn't win the first year and they had playoff proven talent.

Do we trust Kyrie in a tough spot? Do we trust Kevin Love to have an impact? Will JR Smith revert back to the being a knucklehead? Does Blatt really have control of the team?

Yeah there are question marks. You can tell by the stories that get leaked that there are issues behind the scenes. I don't like the individual match ups in a Warriors and Cavs series. They'll probably wish they used Love in the post more since his size is one of the few things they could exploit. Right before the all star break Synergy tweeted out that Love was still the most efficient post up scorer in the league. Kyrie has a nice 3 point shooting percentage when he catches and shoots 45%. James is decent as well at 38%. Smith is at 40.7%. The option is there to run things through Love more often. He's a good enough passer and they are good enough shooters. It really seems like they don't take advantage of the versatility of their players by sticking to dribble and drive so much.

I should have included Atlanta as well as teams in the hunt. They have cooled off but they could afford to they were so far out in front. Don't want to read too much into their recent record.

Do the Grizzlies have anything to play for tomorrow (see they are a game behind Houston, who owns tiebreaker)?

I know if the Spurs win, they get the 2nd seed. If the Rockets win and Spurs lose, they get the 2nd seed. I think the Grizz win the tiebreaker against the Spurs but not the Rockets. It's a complete fucking mess. 

Tonight is the NBA's Game 162. OKC/New Orleans is such a great thing. I love how we've gotten to see exactly what it would be like if Westbrook had his own team to carry... and it has been absolutely bonkers. I don't know what it means for OKC going forward, but maybe Durant should have the Robin role next season. It's just an absolute unreal tear and there's nothing he does anymore that makes me bat an eye. Like... a 40-15-15 night is on the table for him tonight. Or a 60-point game. They're so unlikely but they wouldn't be shocking.

And then there's AD and his first playoff game before he takes over the league. Of course, the rest of that team is sorta garbage, as is the coaching.