DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Ugh. 

Adam Schefter

In a deal turned into NFL today, Tom Brady restructured his contract to give NE $24 million more in cash to spend this winter, per sources.

Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in “skill” guarantee to only “injury” guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured. Brady also now can be released from the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender. This frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents such as Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Nate Solder and Shane Vereen, amongst others.

Tom Brady left Bridget Moynahan while she was pregnant for a new woman. 

he needs to do that to 7 other women to be a real baller

God - you weren't kidding about Mangini. The Raiders are actually interviewing him.

Other coaching interviews (which may or may not have been discussed here)

Jets

Seattle DC Dan Quinn (interview is Friday. Yes they are doing it without hiring their GM first but they need to do the interview now or wait till the playoffs are over)

Niners

Have requested permission to interview Quinn and Cards DC Todd Bowles. (Bowles can't interview until the Cards are eliminated)

They have also asked for permission to interview Broncos OC Adam Gase

(I know we already discussed Josh McDaniels)

Falcons

They too want to interview McDaniels and Bowles and Gase

They have also asked to interview Lions Teryl Austin (similar to Bowles has to wait till playoffs are done)

Jed York thinks he is his uncle.

He is not.

The fact that he at least wants to be his uncle puts him blissfully far ahead of his parents (who brought you such "hits" as Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, and Mike "Pants Free" Singletary) and I appreciate the effort on his part.

And I don't doubt that Jim Harbaugh is incredibly unpleasant to work with on a day to day basis for many of the same reasons he is also so successful.

HOWEVER,

Remember that rumor about the 49ers wanting to work a "head coach for draft picks" trade with Cleveland?  Whether that's cause or symptom, it indicates that front office and coach were tired of each other.  I wonder if Jed had an Al Davis moment where he thought the head coach was getting too much credit for the resurgence of the franchise.  Given how "well" that worked out for the Raiders I hope not.

If you like football teams with weird front offices then Boy Do I Live In The Right Part Of The Country

• Like 1

Ladies and gentlemen, with the regular season now in the books it is that moment you've all been waiting for!  No not the playoffs or Gronk's next photoshoot; it's....

The 2014 Top of the Bottom Awards Ceremony!

That's right!  Now before we get on to crowning one team as the Top of the Bottom, I would like to introduce the 2014 Top of the Bottom All-Suck teams!  The players and units were chosen carefully after hours of caffeine fueled stat crunching over at Football Outsiders and only come from teams in the rankings.  Sadly they did not have stats for players in the secondary, but with teams this bad who needs a secondary?  So without further ado, here are your 1st and 2nd team All-Suck players!

1st Team All Suck Players:

QB:  Blake Bortles - Jacksonville

RB:  Toby Gerhart - Jacksonville

WR1:  Cecil Shorts III - Jacksonville

WR2:  Cordarelle Patterson - Minnesotta

TE:  Levine Toilolo - Atlanta

O-Line:  Tampa Bay

D-Line:   Oakland

2nd Team All Suck Players:

QB:  Josh McCown - Tampa Bay

RB:  Daren McFadden - Oakland

WR1:  Pierre Garcon - Washington

WR2:  Allen Hurns - Jacksonville

TE:  Mychal Rivera - Oakland

O-Line:  Jacksonville

D-Line:  Atlanta

Let's give a quick round of applause to the players that truly personify the Top of the Bottom!

So seeing as how the final adjusted rankings have already been released, it is not time to present to you the Top of the Bottom Goodell Trophy:

Goodell.jpg

Isn't it amazing?  So now allow me to present to you the 2014 Top of the Bottom Champion:  the Tampa Bay Buccaneers! It takes a true lack of effort and talent to be able to rise to the top of the worst and Tampa fought tooth and nail all season long.  Enjoy this lovely trophy and your first round pick and we will see you next year right here on Top of the Bottom!

• Like 4

And now the Raiders are talking to Pat Shurmur. Didn't know they loved ex Browns so much. Guess they figure they'll find the next Belichick this way

The hilarious part is both the Brown's OC and DC went to Philadelphia and had more success there than Cleveland.

Ladies and gentlemen, with the regular season now in the books it is that moment you've all been waiting for!  No not the playoffs or Gronk's next photoshoot; it's....

The 2014 Top of the Bottom Awards Ceremony!

That's right!  Now before we get on to crowning one team as the Top of the Bottom, I would like to introduce the 2014 Top of the Bottom All-Suck teams!  The players and units were chosen carefully after hours of caffeine fueled stat crunching over at Football Outsiders and only come from teams in the rankings.  Sadly they did not have stats for players in the secondary, but with teams this bad who needs a secondary?  So without further ado, here are your 1st and 2nd team All-Suck players!

1st Team All Suck Players:

QB:  Blake Bortles - Jacksonville

RB:  Toby Gerhart - Minnesotta

WR1:  Cecil Shorts III - Jacksonville

WR2:  Cordarelle Patterson - Minnesotta

TE:  Levine Toilolo - Atlanta

O-Line:  Tampa Bay

D-Line:   Oakland

2nd Team All Suck Players:

QB:  Josh McCown - Tampa Bay

RB:  Daren McFadden - Oakland

WR1:  Pierre Garcon - Washington

WR2:  Allen Hurns - Jacksonville

TE:  Mychal Rivera - Oakland

O-Line:  Jacksonville

D-Line:  Atlanta

Ummm Toby was in Jax this year

I'm a little sad that only two Raider position players made the list - one of them being their only receiving "threat."

But the fact that the entire O-line made it kind of...spreads the pain more evenly.

Oh thank God.  The Raiders - and EVERY NFL team with a HC vacancy - have talked to the Cards about interviewing Todd Bowles.

Of course, that sort of ruins Rippa and my joke that Rex Ryan was going to interview with all the teams in blackface.  Then again, it's Rex Ryan...that could still happen.

I will forever link Rex Ryan to that linked foot fetish roleplay video he and his wife made for themselves.

Actually, what I will forever link Rex Ryan to is the subsequent promo Wes Welker (still a Patriot at the time) cut on him before a Jets/Pats game, wherein he responded to a reporter's stock question about preparing for the game by working in every foot based Jock Cliche (put our best foot forward, toe the line, etc.)

• Like 1

I can't remember where I heard it but supposedly there are members of the Niners front office who felt that the last three years - San Fran had the best team in the NFL and the fact that they didn't win a Super Bowl was totally Harbaugh's fault.

Thus they wanted him gone

I'm more on this side of it. I think a lot of coaches would have had success with the personnel in San Fran and Harbaugh was massively overrated. Not to mention that every year that ticked by is another year older that those players are.

I can't remember where I heard it but supposedly there are members of the Niners front office who felt that the last three years - San Fran had the best team in the NFL and the fact that they didn't win a Super Bowl was totally Harbaugh's fault.

I'm more on this side of it. I think a lot of coaches would have had success with the personnel in San Fran and Harbaugh was massively overrated. Not to mention that every year that ticked by is another year older that those players are.

That's insane. Ten straight years of being bad, the moment Harbaugh gets there they are instantly a contender.

Tim Livingston posted this on facebook:  

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/brian-murphy-knbr-jed-york-jim-harbaugh/

It's an interview with Jed York that got "vaguely hostile".  

It's glorious. You can hear him shifting uncomfortably in his chair around question 4.  

Also getting called on his "hold me responsible" is one of the best moments of sports journalism in the last 10 years.

• Like 2

That's insane. Ten straight years of being bad, the moment Harbaugh gets there they are instantly a contender.

Seriously, you don't go from a decade of no playoffs to three NFC Championships and a Super Bowl without Harbaugh.

He inherited his entire defense and offensive line. He's an average coach that has made the same type of boneheaded personnel decisions as other average coaches. He inherited a team with insane amounts of talent.

It says more about Singletary that he went 6-10 with that squad than it does about Harbaughs abilities. And don't bother with bringing up a decades worth of records, it makes no sense. They were different teams with different players.