DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

This is Rivera's fourth season. I actually completely disagree with you, I don't particularly see any reason to stay with any of their coaching staff. Too many bad calls.

The problems with the Panthers are with the GM- they don't have the players they should.  Not enough talent on that team- largely due to a bunch of bad salary cap decisions.

Hoke consistently brought in top ten or fifteen classes. I think espn had them third a couple years ago. Talent is not the issue.

Brady Hoke must be a legendary moron to do as poorly as he did this year then. Wow. 

And Harbaugh is coming in with some high expectations. 

Rivera is not on the hot seat at all, even with a loss today.  Only year 2, and he had .500 talent at best this year, 7-8-1 or 6-9-1 isn't a disaster.

Panthers FO is a mess, but even they're not dumb enough to fire a fairly popular coach in year 2.

He had no cap room and no WR's this season.  Not sure how anyone can fault that.

This is Rivera's fourth season. I actually completely disagree with you, I don't particularly see any reason to stay with any of their coaching staff. Too many bad calls.

The problems with the Panthers are with the GM- they don't have the players they should.  Not enough talent on that team- largely due to a bunch of bad salary cap decisions.

The problems aren't with the current GM.  Gettleman can draft his butt off and he's worked a minor miracle with the terrible cap situation he inherited.  We have five starters from the last draft that start for Carolina currently.  The previous GM is the one who left us in this mess that Carolina will still be in for another year or two.  

Rivera is not on the hot seat at all, even with a loss today.  Only year 2, and he had .500 talent at best this year, 7-8-1 or 6-9-1 isn't a disaster.

Panthers FO is a mess, but even they're not dumb enough to fire a fairly popular coach in year 2.

He had no cap room and no WR's this season.  Not sure how anyone can fault that.

The problems that people have with Rivera is that he's too conservative, he's bad at challenging plays, he sticks with the vets too long, and he's terrible at clock management.  That said, I'm indifferent if he stays or goes. The actual problem is with the offensive coordinator.  The play calling from Shula is atrocious and no matter what happens today I want to see him gone next year.  He was able to win last year because our free agent 1 year deals were great and this years 1 year free agents are terrible in comparison.  Finally, when we have a turnstile for a LT, you're not going to have a good go of it. 

Hoke consistently brought in top ten or fifteen classes. I think espn had them third a couple years ago. Talent is not the issue.

Brady Hoke must be a legendary moron to do as poorly as he did this year then. Wow.

He was terrible at either evaluating or developing skill position players. Literally, the only difference maker he brought in his whole time there was the TE/WR Funchess. Everybody else has been a dud, serviceable player at best. They have no dynamic athletes on offense.

Of course, they could have had a pretty solid #1 and #2 WR, but I guess we can't knock Gettleman for wanting to pay Steve Smith to play for the Ravens...

I don't think anyone on staff for Carolina is above reproach.

So the Titanics are number 2 then?

Correct

I think the Jags are assured of the third pick but I am not 100% positive (mainly due to the SOS tiebreakers cant be determined until the games are done)

Of course, they could have had a pretty solid #1 and #2 WR, but I guess we can't knock Gettleman for wanting to pay Steve Smith to play for the Ravens...

Pay them with what?

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/carolina-panthers/

$26.8 million in dead money.

Pay them with what?

$5,000,000 to Steve Smith. Who is playing for Baltimore. Who didn't save them a dime.

Pay them with what?

$5,000,000 to Steve Smith. Who is playing for Baltimore. Who didn't save them a dime.

IIRC, he was a cap hit because of all of the other bad decisions by the previous GM.  They had to make some tough choices to fill out their roster.

Pay them with what?

Smith will earn $7 million in 2014, $7 million in 2015, and $9 million in 2016 under his current contract structure. Those numbers are unsustainable at his age. http://overthecap.com/steve-smiths-contract-situation-carolina-panthers/

So it saved $2 million this year, $3 million next year, and $9 million in 2016. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/steve-smith/

• Like 1

For 2015, I need a linebacker who can cover a run or a very mean offensive lineman whose name rhymes with "Spincognito".

al9cJKq.gif

In spirit. 

iXvlaEA.gif

Well, without the homophobic bullying. 

0uqnPZN.gif

Or with it, if he can FUCKING PROTECT MY QUARTERBACK.  

yZOV24t.gif

God damned stupid fucking Dolphins.

• Like 3

Not disappointed with the Vikings' season overall. Teddy Bridgewater was pretty great over the last 5-6 weeks of the season, and hey. . .if anyone would have said that the Vikings would be without Adrian Peterson for 15 of their 16 games, I'm guessing nobody would have put them on 7 wins. Or even close to it.

In Week 1, the team's three most prolific offensive players were Matt Cassel, Adrian Peterson, and Cordarrelle Patterson. None of them had anything to do with the offense in Week 17 (unless you count Patterson deflecting an interception into a defender's hands). And the defense shaved about 8.6 points/game from last season to this season. Thank you, Mike Zimmer.

Going to be an interesting off-season, that's for sure.