DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

29 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Now that Iceman is gay, there could be a whole different love triangle at play.

Only in the comics, bro.  In the MCU Bobby and Rogue are still an item.

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is that the MCU or just the FMCU? 

You mean the FMCU-XMR?  Bobby can still be in the MCU via the Quicksilver Rule so long as they call him an augmented human instead of a mutant and do not refer to him directly as Iceman.

Considering they only contract characters to studios, and actors are free to work for whoever (Chris Evans being Human Torch for Fox and Cap for Marvel being the obvious one), there's nothing to stop actual Shawn Ashmore cameoing as someone named Bobby. Because if there's one thing Superhero movies can take from Pro-Wrestling, it's "We know who that is" angles.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

I dig the Dr. Strange trailer but not sure how I feel about Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Mordo, Ninja Magician. 

I agree with Buy Me A Burito.  This is shaping up to be Sherlock Khan the Sorcerer Supreme vs. The Operative from Firefly with magical powers.  We'll see if this turns out to be a good thing or a bad thing. 

Hopefully the rumors about Madds being Dormammu will be true and they'll have some badass CGI effects for the Dread From Beyond.

Only issue I have with Mordo and Dormammu being in the same movie is that Strange doesn't have all that huge of a rogues gallery and Marvel makes money from huge sequels.   Once Strange thumps Mordo, who do you bring in for the next movie, or does Mordo live to fight another day and we get bored with the rematches?

Most of what I've read on it indicates that Mordo is a sort of ally/rival to Strange in this one and not the antagonist. Think Sinestro in Green Lantern.

It was me, and I stand by that claim. Never said I'd be "shocked", I outright said they won't do it because everyone, their mom and grandpa knows how Peter Parker got his superpowers so it's a waste of time. Especially if we're being dropped into the world of Spider-Man when he's existed inside the MCU already for a good chunk of time. He's already known by the time the events in Civil War rolls around, at least.

Anyway, Michael Keaton is in talks to play the villain. Supposedly the Vulture.

Birdman is playing the Vulture. Cute.

Which Vulture? The one who looks like J K Simmons, or one of the other ones?

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Encouraging reaction to the Captain America: Civil War screening for critics. Spider-Man's getting the biggest praise, then Black Panther, action and story. I read somewhere the review embargo ends n this day long before it comes out in the UK on the 29th April and 6th May in the USA. Marvel Studios are clearly happy/confident in the film to do this.

On the subject of Marvel Cinematic Universe villains, the villains are hit and miss.

The great: Loki (Thor, Avengers Assemble, Thor: The Dark World), Alexander Pierce, the Winter Soldier (Captain America: The Winter Soldier), John Garrett and Grant Ward (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Wilson Fisk (Daredevil), Dottie Underwood, Johann Fennhoff (Agent Carter Season One) and Kilgrave (Jessica Jones).

The good: Obadiah Stane (Iron Man), Red Skull (Captain America: The First Avenger), the Mandarin before, you know (Iron Man 3) and Jiaying (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

The mediocre putting it kindly: The Abomination (The Incredible Hulk), Whiplash/Justin Hammer (Iron Man 2), Aldrich Killian (Iron Man 3), Malekith the Accursed (Thor: The Dark World), Ronan the Accuser (Guardians of the Galaxy), Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron), Darren Cross (Ant-Man) and Whitney Frost (Agent Carter Season Two).

I'd put Blonsky/Abomination in the Good category.  Admittedly, I'm a Tim Roth mark and I didn't hate that movie.  

I'd also knock Pierce and everybody on ABC down one notch.

• Like 1

I legitimately didn't remember his name was Alexander Pierce... He was fine, but not overly memorable.

On the other hand, I truly and wholeheartedly love the MCU take on Ultron. He's jokey in a way that is unsettling and not actually funny, he's a fantastic blend of the worst parts of Tony and Bruce's personalities, and the detached voice is perfect.

• Like 1

It's not the Ultron I grew up with! But even so..  going quip for quip while thousands of innocents are dying... uhhh. Just not a good movie. Some cool things in there but overall it's a mess and SW and Quiksilver and Vision are given no real character development.

I didn't understand how Tony came around to being Iron Man again either.  And WTF with the out of nowhere romance with BW and Hulk. So much going on..

Let's revisit that "who's side are you on?"  debate.  I do think The Avengers should be checked but the big question for me and why I'm leaning more on Cap's side is who the hell is doing the checking? Didn't we just go through a huge issue with every aspect of S.H.I.E.L.D. being compromised?  Moving forward you have to be extremely careful..

I have no idea what the specifics are, but the pro-reg side seems very flawed for what they want heroes to do before fighting crime. Especially considering that Cap et al are supposed to now trust this government that was deeply infiltrated by Hydra. If I were a hero, I'd tell them to fuck off.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I have no idea what the specifics are, but the pro-reg side seems very flawed for what they want heroes to do before fighting crime. Especially considering that Cap et al are supposed to now trust this government that was deeply infiltrated by Hydra. If I were a hero, I'd tell them to fuck off.

From everything I've read they do a good job of making a case for both sides so we'll see.  I'm interested because I can't imagine being Pro-Stark but maybe they'll sway me

From one Ed Brubaker....

Ed Brubaker ‏@brubaker
If you're a Winter Soldier fan, you're going to love Captain America: Civil War. Also it's going to be the biggest movie of the year.

Ed Brubaker ‏@brubaker
I'm not going to spoil anything, but I will say it's very much still a Cap and Winter Soldier movie. Slash-fiction fans will rejoice.

I think Civil War is going to be very good but if you plucked out a few of those lines in the image, put them in a blender, throw a score on it and that's what reviews have become in the internet era. They all read the same. It's like listening to FOX or MSNBC for a couple hours, you've seen one talking head, you've seen them all.

there's still some good ones out there, but they're hidden in the pile of BS.

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

On the other hand, I truly and wholeheartedly love the MCU take on Ultron. He's jokey in a way that is unsettling and not actually funny, he's a fantastic blend of the worst parts of Tony and Bruce's personalities, and the detached voice is perfect.

Ultron's gallows humor was easily the worst part of the on-screen translation.  

The trailers were fucking scary as shit (especially trailer #2) because Ultron was menacing yet distant.   The destruction of mankind was cruel calculus to Ultron; it wasn't personal but he still enjoyed his work because he believed in the superiority of machine intelligence. 

I would actually bump Darren Cross up to the Good category.  Mother fucker was not afraid to go there and threaten Lang's daughter.  I hate seeing kids in peril but you have to grudgingly admire a villain that gives zero fucks about hitting a hero where he lives.

I think we forgot all about putting the new Punisher in the Great category.