DVDVR Message Board

2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame - FINALISTS

paragon11

Last year's thread got some nice discussion, so let's continue the trend.

Here is the list of finalists up for induction this year:

• Morten Andersen
  • Jerome Bettis
  • Tim Brown
  • Don Coryell
  • Terrell Davis
  • Tony Dungy
  • Kevin Greene
  • Charles Haley
  • Marvin Harrison
  • Jimmy Johnson
  • John Lynch
  • Orlando Pace -- (first year of eligibility)
  • Bill Polian -- (contributor)
  • Junior Seau -- (first year of eligibility)
  • Will Shields
  • Mick Tingelhoff -- (senior finalist)
  • Kurt Warner -- (first year of eligibility)
  • Ron Wolf -- (contributor)

OH!

Also remember that this is the first year of the three year voting thing of trying to get through the backlog so they are doing 2 special contributors.

That is one their is only one Senior Committee guy this year.

A bylaws change to the selection process was approved by the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Board of Trustees in August 2014 by which a Contributor – defined as an individual who has “made outstanding contributions to professional football in capacities other than playing or coaching” – will automatically be included among the annual list of finalists for election. The Contributor finalist will also be voted on for election independent of all other finalists. 

The Board, in an effort to address the backlog of deserving Contributor candidates, also approved a temporary measure allowing for two Contributor finalists in years one (starting with the Class of 2015), three and five, of the next five years. In years two and four of that same period, there will be just one Contributor finalist. At the end of the five-year period, the number of Contributor finalists going forward will be one per year.

To keep the maximum number of nominees elected at no more than eight per year, the Senior finalists will be reduced from two to one per year in years one, three and five of the same five-year period. In years two and four and each year thereafter, there will be two Senior finalists, as is now the practice. 

The Contributor finalists will be selected annually, by five members, on a rotational basis, of a nine-member subcommittee of the Selection Committee.

I'm kind of curious about whether Kurt Warner will get in.  I mean he only has one Superbowl win to his name along with two more trips; but he was part of a (for the time) ridiculous St. Luis Offense and the story of how his career played out certainly is interesting.  But is that enough to merit a spot in the HoF?

Warners career is so interesting, two Superbowls with 1 win then got kinda bad, had to battle with rookies for playing time, including Leinart, then back to the Super Bowl and nearly won. I think he'll get in at somepoint but I think the middle part of his career means he'll have to wait a little bit.

There are a lot of deserving people at a lot of positions I can't even begin to venture who will get in. I;m just hoping Dungy doesn't get in, can't stand that guy.

Warners career is so interesting, two Superbowls with 1 win then got kinda bad, had to battle with rookies for playing time, including Leinart, then back to the Super Bowl and nearly won. I think he'll get in at somepoint but I think the middle part of his career means he'll have to wait a little bit.

There are a lot of deserving people at a lot of positions I can't even begin to venture who will get in. I;m just hoping Dungy doesn't get in, can't stand that guy.

Riding Peyton's coat tails to a ring shouldn't mean a HOF induction, well that and being Peter King's buddy. Marty(6th) and Dan Reeves(8th) are at 200-126 and 190-165 win-loss respectively. While Cowher with 149-90(19th) and Dungy 139-69 (22nd).  Reeves has too many losses, and Marty had his post season issues, but I won't put Dungy in before Marty. . . . 

I'm just not sure Warner did enough to get in. . . .

Warner, Harrison, probably Brown, TD, maybe Waters or Edge, Pace definitely, but there are a ton of really deserving o-linemen there...

Ty Fucking Law, of course.  Man, a lot of the defensive guys are perfect "borderline" candidates in my mind.

• 3 months later...
  • Morten Andersen--Probably the best kicker of all-time, but if it's between him and someone else, I'd probably pick someone else.
  • Jerome Bettis--6th leading rusher all-time, but there are at least 10 running backs with worse stats that won't get in that I think are better than him.
  • Tim Brown--6th all-time in receiving yards, and probably played with the worse collection of quarterbacks than any other great receiver.  I'd vote him in.
  • Don Coryell--I understand that his teams were exciting to watch, but they never won anything...before my time so I can't judge.
  • Terrell Davis--I've been an advocate for Terrell Davis getting in since he was first put on the ballot.  He was the best running back in the league for 2-3 seasons when Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith were still in their relative primes.  He carried two Super Bowl teams and has a 2,000 yard season.  It is not his fault he had a degenerative knee issue, he should be judged for how good he while he was healthy.   
  • Tony Dungy--He is a really good coach...I don't think he is Hall-of-Fame level.
  • Kevin Greene--3rd all-time in sacks...there is no reason he shouldn't already be in.
  • Charles Haley--Haley played one less season than Greene, and has 60 less sacks...shouldn't be in unless Greene is in, and I think he should be in.
  • Marvin Harrison--#88 is one of the best receivers of all-time by any measurement.  He should be in unless you know...redacted.
  • Jimmy Johnson--If he would have stayed in Dallas, he would probably been on my first ballot.  I still think he's a Hall-of-Fame coach, just not a no brainer.
  • John Lynch--4th best player(at best) on a really good defense.  He's a player who couldn't play in the current NFL, because his entire career was based on helmet to helmet hits.  I don't think he should get in, but I think he will get in. 
  • Orlando Pace -- (first year of eligibility)--One of the best lineman ever, no brainer.
  • Bill Polian -- (contributor)--Probably should be in already
  • Junior Seau -- (first year of eligibility)--There is no way he isn't going in on the first ballot, he was a huge fan favorite who passed tragically.  If he doesn't get in this year, they should take everyone's vote away.
  • Will Shields--I believe he'll get in eventually, but I don't know how to judge a guard.
  • Mick Tingelhoff -- (senior finalist)--Never heard of him.
  • Kurt Warner -- (first year of eligibility)--This is the hardest for me to pick.  When he was great he was all-time great, but when he was bad he was below average.  I'd put him in just because he might have the single most interesting career in the history of football.  He went from bagging groceries to the Super Bowl to one of the worst starters in the league, and back to the Super Bowl.  He is also one of those guys that no one has ever said a bad word about, that might put him in by itself.
  • Ron Wolf -- (contributor)--Should be in already.

If Orlando Pace gets in and Tony Boselli can't even make the finalist.....where's my Shieky clip of "FACKING BULLSHIT!"

Boselli is one of the few offensive lineman who a layman could watch and see his greatness.  He should be in for that playoff game where he made Bruce Smith look like a middle school pass rusher.  That is one of the most dominant performances I've ever seen.

Boselli is a lot like TD. They were both absurdly great for limited windows and then wrecked by injuries.

I am generically incapable of saying anything nice about Pace, but he's the definition of first ballot no brained.