DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Did you know Glacier's family were cops? Long line of Georgia State Troopers. His father AND brother. Wasn't sure if you heard.

Ha, they sure did beat that point into the ground, didn't they? I always thought that fact made him seem even less cool and mysterious. He's supposed to be this martial arts master who doesn't speak but now you're telling me he's just some hick from Georgia.

He should have been the third member of The State Patrol with Lt.James Earl Wright and Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker. They were my favorite NWA/WCW jobber tag team.

I was always partial to the The Thunderfoots. Also, The Cruel Connection. Oh for the days when they'd just dress up the same guys in different bodysuits and masks every week and pretend they were a new tag-team.

Did you know Glacier's family were cops? Long line of Georgia State Troopers. His father AND brother. Wasn't sure if you heard.

Ha, they sure did beat that point into the ground, didn't they? I always thought that fact made him seem even less cool and mysterious. He's supposed to be this martial arts master who doesn't speak but now you're telling me he's just some hick from Georgia.
He should have been the third member of The State Patrol with Lt.James Earl Wright and Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker. They were my favorite NWA/WCW jobber tag team.

I was always partial to the The Thunderfoots. Also, The Cruel Connection. Oh for the days when they'd just dress up the same guys in different bodysuits and masks every week and pretend they were a new tag-team.

Or sometimes in the same episode of Saturday Night, we'd get The Texas Hangmen, then later in the show, we'd get them unmasked as Disorderly Conduct.

Honestly, those Glacier/Miller vs Mortis/Wrath matches weren't all that bad. They probably could've did decently with it as a midcard thing if the nWo didn't happen.

Mortis/Wrath had a really good match against The Faces of Fear at Fall Brawl 97 I think it was. I remember Mortis/Wrath busting out the StackerPlex thing that Edge/Christian used as a finisher a few times.

I liked 3 time world karate champion Ernest Miller and all, but give me dying days Commissioner Cat any day of the week. Plus, Miss Jones was smokin

I still can't believe they basically teased a bait and switch with James Brown and then actually delivered after making you believe that for weeks, The Cat was just bullshitting. Well I can b/c WCW, but still, you'd think that if they actually had James Brown and paid was was probably not an unsubstantial amount of money to get him, they'd advertise the hell out of it.

I liked 3 time world karate champion Ernest Miller and all, but give me dying days Commissioner Cat any day of the week. Plus, Miss Jones was smokin

I still can't believe they basically teased a bait and switch with James Brown and then actually delivered after making you believe that for weeks, The Cat was just bullshitting. Well I can b/c WCW, but still, you'd think that if they actually had James Brown and paid was was probably not an unsubstantial amount of money to get him, they'd advertise the hell out of it.

they did. Brown no-showed.

when he offered to appear later, WCW refused to be burned again, so they did it unadvertised.

Is there any reason why Sting doesn't use his old WCW theme now? It's intact on the Network so presumably they own the rights to it. Just a case of them wanting to freshen him up a bit or something like that?

Same reason that Bret Hart returned in 2010 with a new theme. WWE likes to needlessly shake things up. 

I would've marked out like a motherfucker if the crow Sting theme had played at Survivor Series last year.

Is there any reason why Sting doesn't use his old WCW theme now? It's intact on the Network so presumably they own the rights to it. Just a case of them wanting to freshen him up a bit or something like that?

Same reason that Bret Hart returned in 2010 with a new theme. WWE likes to needlessly shake things up. 

I would've marked out like a motherfucker if the crow Sting theme had played at Survivor Series last year.

In one of his books, Jericho talks about how he wanted to use "Nightmare" by Avenged Sevenfold as his theme when he was feuding with Punk but Vince nixed it. Vince said that no matter what character Jericho portrayed, the fans would always associate him with his "Break the Walls Down" theme so they'd never change it. Odd why they'd not let Jericho, a full-time talent at that point, change things up but would shake things up for nostalgia acts.

they did. Brown no-showed.

when he offered to appear later, WCW refused to be burned again, so they did it unadvertised.

Interesting, didn't know that.

I watched the fabled Goldberg/Regal match from the 2/9/98 Nitro. Such a weird match. Goldberg had no clue what to do out there which jives with Regal's story that he was told to get a competitive match out of Goldberg but Goldberg didn't know how to do anything outside of his usual two minute squash.

There's also a great Jericho/Eddy vs. Malenko/Chavo tag match on this show. Eddy and Jericho definitely should've been a long-term thing. They really complimented each other well.

In one of his books, Jericho talks about how he wanted to use "Nightmare" by Avenged Sevenfold as his theme when he was feuding with Punk but Vince nixed it. Vince said that no matter what character Jericho portrayed, the fans would always associate him with his "Break the Walls Down" theme so they'd never change it. Odd why they'd not let Jericho, a full-time talent at that point, change things up but would shake things up for nostalgia acts.

Because WWE will ALWAYS be fighting the war with WCW.  They gotta make you think that what they are doing is better.

Decided to watch the September 11, 1995 Nitro to see what was going on exactly 20 years ago. Nitro is just a two weeks in to it's run and still finding it's feet. It kicks off recapping how Luger jumped to the company on the first show and the main event is Luger vs Hogan for the title, which I remember being a pretty huge deal to me at the time.

First match on the show is Sabu's debut in WCW against Alex Wright. The announcers really put Sabu over on commentary, which is refreshing. Crazy how commentary actually talking about the guys in the ring and the punishment they're taking actually improves the overall enjoyment of a match. Who'd of thunk it?

Flair cuts a promo against Arn Anderson, whom he is facing at Halloween Havoc. Luger interrupts Flair for no reason, says "Some things never change" and he leaves.

We get the first infamous "Bischoff gives away RAW's results" moment during the Sting/VK Wallstreet match.

Apparently Vader left the company around this time as he was supposed to be on Hogan's WarGames team at Halloween Havoc, but they are saying he is off the team and cannot make the show. And how did they write him off? Did somebody take him out backstage or at a gas station or something? Nope. They said Vader did not "file the necessary paperwork to be on Hogan's team in time for Halloween Havoc". And with that, some missed paperwork, Vader is out of WCW and on his way to WWF by the Royal Rumble.

Scott Norton vs. Randy Savage. Nice. This should be fun. Good story being told with Norton just overpowering Savage from the get go and working over Randy's back the entire match. Match ends when the Dungeon of Doom runs in, but Savage throws Norton into the Avalanche who then falls in to the ring on top of Norton's legs. While down, Savage hits the elbow and the ref actually counts the pin, despite the fact that a 400 pound guy is in the ring and laying on the other guy's legs.

Hogan/Luger is up next in the main event. I thought that Nitro was two hours long from the start? Did WWE Network edit it down, or was it only an hour? Hogan actually attempts to bust out some chain wrestling at the beginning of the match, which was.....interesting.  Not a good match. Luger gets Hogan in the rack, then drops him when he though he won the match after the ref checks Hogan's hand, and his hand drops only two times. Hogan hulks up when Luger tries to go for the pin, he gets the slam and leg drop, but before he can get the pin, the Dungeon of Doom run out again and attack Hogan causing the DQ. The twist is that the DoD only attacked Hogan but did not touch Luger.

Sting sticks up for Luger after Hogan and Savage accuse Luger of being in the DoD, and then he pitches to have Luger replace Vader. Savage is completely against it but Hogan brings him in and it sets up the Halloween Havoc match and ends the show.

I will say that the excitement of the crowd and the announcers and the fresh matches that I can totally see how they built their momentum and eventually took over WWF. Also, just about every segment had a bunch of hype for Halloween Havoc, so they sold that really well. However, this show also showcased a lot of the wonky booking that WCW would be known for. And where are we 20 years later? Sting is about to headline a WWE PPV for the WWE World Title.

• Like 1

Always found it odd that when they would change Jericho's theme, it never stuck and he always ended up back with "Break the Walls Down". I personally loved when he used Saliva's "King of My World" in '02 then he briefly used his "Don't You Wish You Were Me" song from the WWE Originals CD in 04. "Nightmare" would've been an interesting minor character tweak for a time he was at his most stale.

I didn't remember Eddy Guerrero/Chris Jericho vs. Faces of Fear on 2/24/97, but that is seriously one of my favorite matches I've seen during this whole watch and maybe the best match that I don't remember seeing that I've (re)discovered. Everyone should watch it. Jericho gets his shit pushed in by Meng and Barbarian and then after getting the hot tag, he and Eddy do all sorts of cool double-team offense leading to the finish (which advances an angle and is logical). 

• Like 1

Always found it odd that when they would change Jericho's theme, it never stuck and he always ended up back with "Break the Walls Down". I personally loved when he used Saliva's "King of My World" in '02 then he briefly used his "Don't You Wish You Were Me" song from the WWE Originals CD in 04. "Nightmare" would've been an interesting minor character tweak for a time he was at his most stale.

Jericho said he didn't like King of My World. Personally, I liked it a lot and thought it fit his character at the time.

• Like 1

Watching the GAB go-home 6/9/97 episode, this has by far my favorite ending this show's ever done. Just an all out war with every feud mixing it up at the end, capped off by Sting repelling to save a knocked out DDP, only to return to the rafters with him in tow.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched the show where Giant turned the first time, and holy shit, the heat and intensity for that segment are through the roof.  It was one of those nights where the crowd was going "HOOOO" on every punch, strike, chairshot, everything.  I miss that about WCW crowds.

• Like 1