DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Debra is fucking awful. I'm not quite sure she's supposed to be irritating in that way even though she's a heel.

Plus Woman's not around very often and when she is, it's ruined by her being with Benoit. Man, fuck. I need to go back to a few of those early 1996 Nitros with Woman and Liz together in the Four Horsemen to clean out the Debra stank she got on all my Horsemen watching. 

She was heeling on another heel for no reason which made no sense. She was always calling Woman fat but whatever "zinger" she tried using either didn't make sense or it took her so long to get to whatever punchline she was going for due to her stumbling over her words that the joke fell flat. I remember during one of the Dec Nitros she said something like, "the reason Chris and Nancy aren't here is b/c Nancy is at the fat farm and who knows how long she's going to be there b/c it's going to take her a long time to lose that fat so they won't be around for a while." If all she wanted to do was make fun of Nancy's weight (which was stupid b/c she wasn't fat by any stretch) she should've just taken the Scott Steiner approach and been more succinct

I have to give Debra credit though. I just saw her slip Mongo the Halliburton so that he could catch Hugh Morrus in the head with it off a No Laughing Matter to get the pinfall. The bell rings, Mongo celebrates, the camera cuts to her, and she goes right into the camera, "Now that's funny...hee hee hee." It was the stupid giggle that really got me. Hilarious. 

Proof that even the seemingly most useless people make TV because they have something in them that makes for good pro wrestling television.

I note that it happened just a few days after Rocky Maivia's surprising IC title win over HHH on Thursday RAW Thursday. I don't know if Bischoff has ever said what was behind it, but it sure looks like a copycat of the Rocky Maivia title win. 

Didn't help that they both beat the blueblood heel to win the title either.

As for Debra, mentioned above, it's funny reading in the early 97 Observers about how people were upset when the Debra/Woman stuff was dropped because internally, WCW felt it was some of the best stuff in the company at the time.

Bash at the Beach 96 had PE coming out to the theme that they "sang" on.  I'm p sure that's accurate.  With DDP, I always assumed that it was because the WCW music was TOO close to the real thing.  Jericho baffled me since his WCW music was stock music.

Was Jericho's stock? Either way, it was definitely a Pearl Jam knock-off.

Is Raven's theme left intact?

I've heard Jericho's theme a few times during random commercials.

Raven's WCW "Come As You Are" knock-off is overdubbed with his WWE theme. I like both of his themes but the WCW one was way better. I always liked his TNA theme as well.

Bash at the Beach 96 had PE coming out to the theme that they "sang" on.  I'm p sure that's accurate.  With DDP, I always assumed that it was because the WCW music was TOO close to the real thing.  Jericho baffled me since his WCW music was stock music.

The weird thing about DDP's theme is the song they use over top of it still sounds a lot like Smells Like Teen Spirit. It's not like they dubbed his WWE theme over his WCW one. The song they overdub it with sounds really close to the original but without him saying, "Self-Hi Five" at the beginning and all of the other random sayings like "Good gawd!" he blurts out during the original.

Did you know Glacier's family were cops? Long line of Georgia State Troopers. His father AND brother.  Wasn't sure if you heard.

Ha, they sure did beat that point into the ground, didn't they? I always thought that fact made him seem even less cool and mysterious. He's supposed to be this martial arts master who doesn't speak but now you're telling me he's just some hick from Georgia.

I always thought Lloyd had the wrong body type for a martial arts guy.  He was built like your typical 90's gym rat, not a ninja.  I always thought he was too stocky and muscular for a faux-ninja (or Mortal Komba ninja, more likely).

However, Wikipedia says he has an extensive martial arts background and has won a couple tournaments/titles.  Anyone know if that is true?

Did you know Glacier's family were cops? Long line of Georgia State Troopers. His father AND brother. Wasn't sure if you heard.

Ha, they sure did beat that point into the ground, didn't they? I always thought that fact made him seem even less cool and mysterious. He's supposed to be this martial arts master who doesn't speak but now you're telling me he's just some hick from Georgia.

He should have been the third member of The State Patrol with Lt.James Earl Wright and Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker. They were my favorite NWA/WCW jobber tag team.

So they were going for a full Mortal Kombat division? Glacier, Mortis, Wrath, Flynn, Ernest Miller. Who else am I forgetting? Pat Tanaka?

Wasn't that supposed to be WCW's big idea prior to the nWo, characters based on Mortal Kombat? Granted, it didn't end up making a difference in the end, but WCW fell ass backward into gold with nWo. In true WCW fashion, they fucked it all up by letting the inmates run the asylum.

Was Jericho's stock? Either way, it was definitely a Pearl Jam knock-off.

Is Raven's theme left intact?

I've heard Jericho's theme a few times during random commercials.

Raven's WCW "Come As You Are" knock-off is overdubbed with his WWE theme. I like both of his themes but the WCW one was way better. I always liked his TNA theme as well.

also a big fan of all of Raven's themes. i dig the bird call opening from his WWE theme, but his WCW one is my fave as well.

So they were going for a full Mortal Kombat division? Glacier, Mortis, Wrath, Flynn, Ernest Miller. Who else am I forgetting? Pat Tanaka?

I think it was just supposed to be Glacier, Mortis, Wrath and Miller. Tanaka was just a guy they bought in to job for a few shots. Don't know what the plans for Flynn were but it seems like he came in after they'd given up on the concept and he was only there to lose to Goldberg every week.