DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Another note from watching these Nitros: I wish the heel to the eye would come back as a finish but that would require valets. Maybe Lana and Rusev?

And Hogan had a crappy figure four.

Maybe he's actually the one who gave it to the Miz, and Flair was just a false-flag operation.

Another note from watching these Nitros: I wish the heel to the eye would come back as a finish but that would require valets. Maybe Lana and Rusev?

And Hogan had a crappy figure four.

Lana would be perfect to start using the high heel to the face. David Flair had a better figure four than Hogan.

Nitro 38, 6/2/96 - High Voltage vs. Faces of Fear. FoF murders poor Ruckus, including Barbarian deciding to do a top-rope belly-to-belly suplex for whatever reason. One of those squashes that just makes my day so very much. 

• 2 months later...

I am attempting to do a Nitro rewatch from the beginning. I am also watching all of the ppv's from Fall Brawl 95 on,

A few things I noticed:

- Disco Inferno is the best midcarder of all the midcarders. Guy is comedy gold.

- Eddie's first music in WCW would later become Juventud's. Also, the Zodiac comes out to what would become Rey Jr.'s music.

- The Hogan/Dungeon of Doom stuff is much worse than I remember. The Giant is really the only good thing to come out of this whole debacle.

- Badd/DDP at Halloween Havoc is a pretty fun match. The sequence with Badd pulling DDP's hair had me cracking up. Also, Macho cuts a promo that I didn't think he did as late as 95. It was definitely one of his better ones of the whole damn decade.

I am attempting to do a Nitro rewatch from the beginning. I am also watching all of the ppv's from Fall Brawl 95 on,

A few things I noticed:

- Disco Inferno is the best midcarder of all the midcarders. Guy is comedy gold.

- Eddie's first music in WCW would later become Juventud's. Also, the Zodiac comes out to what would become Rey Jr.'s music.

- The Hogan/Dungeon of Doom stuff is much worse than I remember. The Giant is really the only good thing to come out of this whole debacle.

- Badd/DDP at Halloween Havoc is a pretty fun match. The sequence with Badd pulling DDP's hair had me cracking up. Also, Macho cuts a promo that I didn't think he did as late as 95. It was definitely one of his better ones of the whole damn decade.

And the crowd's growing resentment of Hogan, leading to him accepting the heel turn.

• Like 1

I saw this thread pop back up and was hoping the people running the Network got around to putting up the shows through about 1998.

No dice. :(

Nitro 38, 6/2/96 - High Voltage vs. Faces of Fear. FoF murders poor Ruckus, including Barbarian deciding to do a top-rope belly-to-belly suplex for whatever reason. One of those squashes that just makes my day so very much. 

I used to love that move by Barbarian. I remember he did one to Benoit at HH96 and he tossed Benoit clear across the ring.

• 2 weeks later...

Brutal cold has me laid up for the weekend, so I finally jumped back on the Nitro train after #CancellingWWENetwork, pouting for two months, realizing it would be dumb to miss WM for ten bucks after paying 60 my whole life, and subsequently #SigningUpForWWENetwork.

I'm into late '96 now-- just finished War Games earlier. It still makes no sense to me that Savage and Elizabeth ended up in the NWO. Part of me thinks he should have helped Sting that whole time he was in the rafters, but it might have killed the "lone wolf" vibe he had. Plus we would have missed out on the awesome DDP matches.

It still makes no sense to me that Savage and Elizabeth ended up in the NWO

co-sign.

character-wise, Savage joining the nWo was flipping retarded. he'd been fighting them (especially Hogan) for months, and was repeatedly the victim of a mugging or beating by them.

then again, it stopped Savage from getting beaten up to end the show for about a year, so in hindsight i guess it makes some sort of sense.

it's WCW, and the ratings are the only thing of importance.  to paraphrase WWE Hall of Famer Drew Carey, the storylines are made up and the feuds don't matter.

• Like 1

It still makes no sense to me that Savage and Elizabeth ended up in the NWO

co-sign.

character-wise, Savage joining the nWo was flipping retarded. he'd been fighting them (especially Hogan) for months, and was repeatedly the victim of a mugging or beating by them.

I'm just repeating myself, but they appeared to be setting up a story whereby Sting gathers up WCW outcasts and creates an army to combat the nWo. He gets Savage hanging out in the rafters with him and appears to be recruiting DDP...and then that dumb Savage turn scuttled all that and really, for me, took the wind out of my sails regarding my enjoyment of the nWo angle.

My stupid fantasy booking is that Bret comes in and after some quick "who will he join" stuff on Nitro pre-Starrcade, he joins up with Sting's Army and we get Sting/Savage/DDP/Hart vs. Hogan/Nash/Hall/whoever would be best for that spot in War Games at Starrcade '97. 

Yeah, all my fantasy booking ideas end in War Games. 

• Like 2

As they should, really.

I remember Savage's sit-down protest on an episode of Nitro being one of their highest highs. When Sting came out, said nothing, and IIRC gave him a bat, followed by them going through the crowd together, I WAS READY FOR STING AND MACHO FUCKING UP THE NWO. Instead, Savage joined the nWo (this was for the first time, right? My memory of this is sketchy because it's so illogical and they had way too many turns) and it made zero sense. This was right after Halloween Havoc, wasn't it? Where Hogan cheated unmercifully to get the W over Savage... Fucking WCW. Sting's army of hobos... er, vigilantes would've ruled hard and that money angle where he buddies up with Savage would've been the perfect start. Have him do the baseball bat angle with DDP that was also so very, very good and you've got a trio. Bret joining makes sense too, and I guess Luger could've joined as well - which would have had its own huge, emotional arc with Sting forgiving his musclebound dolt of a best bud for doubting him way back when. 5 v 5 wargames and you're swimming in money.

• Like 3

Seeing the Powers of Pain as the Super Assassins managed by Col. Parker on a Jan. 96 episode is one of my favorite early Nitro memories.

It made me sad they didn't just come out as The Powers of Pain, when it was pretty obvious they were under the masks.