DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

First time seeing the table spot botch on the 11/3/97 episode. Rick Steiner didn't get out quite in time and got nicked in the jugular. I'm guessing either DiBiase or the Public Enemy were at fault. The Steiners of course, handled the situation with great aplomb.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any reason why Sting doesn't use his old WCW theme now? It's intact on the Network so presumably they own the rights to it. Just a case of them wanting to freshen him up a bit or something like that?

Didn't Sting answer this with something along the lines of not wanting to live in that past, that WWE was a new chapter and needed it's own look and sound etc.

Speaking of Dting, I find it bizarre that the Dting everyone thinks of is Crow Dting. Being from the Carolinas, I'll always think Colorful Ass Dting first and foremost.

I can't begin to tell you how much I hate Michael Buffer. Guy had one job and always seemed to fuck it up royally.

Bret "The Hitman" Clarke would agree. I could only imagine how much WCW was pissing away on Michael Buffer.

Buffer's standard fee was $1 million/appearance to my understanding.

James

Speaking of Dting, I find it bizarre that the Dting everyone thinks of is Crow Dting. Being from the Carolinas, I'll always think Colorful Ass Dting first and foremost.

I still think of him as the blond guy with the flat top. I thought the Crow thing was just an angsty phase he would have for a couple of years. The original look and character always suited his in-ring style better than the moody goth thing too.

On the Buffer front, apparently he gets $100 every time anyone says "Let's get r***y to R****e" on television, anywhere in the world. I censored it in this post in case he gets paid for people posting it on the internet as well. It's kind of odd that he got to be the big name in Ring Announcing, when he's not even the best ring announcer in his own immediate family. Although you could also say that about Jimmy Lennon Jr., too. His Dad is a double a hall of famer (Boxing and Meltzer).

Is there any reason why Sting doesn't use his old WCW theme now? It's intact on the Network so presumably they own the rights to it. Just a case of them wanting to freshen him up a bit or something like that?

Didn't Sting answer this with something along the lines of not wanting to live in that past, that WWE was a new chapter and needed it's own look and sound etc.

Is Dting the Barry Windham version?

• Like 2

Is Dting the Barry Windham version?

Dting is a really, really old meme. I think it started on rspw.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the 07/22/96 Nitro and the Dungeon of Doom has a leprecuan (a quick search says that it's Buddy Lee Parker). The Dungeon really stands out as way too cartoony compared to everything else going on.

I thought this too while re-watching the Nitros. It was funny to see the Dungeon and some of the other real kid-targeted gimmicks linger on during the early nWo run because they really seemed out of place. At the same time though, I think the gimmicky stuff really stands out due to hindsight because we knew how adult oriented/real the era wound up becoming, but that wasn't the standard yet in mid-96.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching the earliest two-hour Nitros when Hall first shows up.  Right from the get go the 2 hour shows are already a miserable slog compared to the 1 hour ones.  Thank God everyone in the business learned a hard lesson about that so that 20 years later they wouldn't ever compound that mistaaaa....aaaaaaGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

So far the highlights are:

- Remembering that since Hall was still acting like Razor Ramon, that means John Tenta is technically the first full-on shoot gimmick of the Monday Night Wars: "I'm not a shark.  I'm not an avalanche.  I'm a man.  John. Tenta. NICE TO MEET YA'!"

- Regal slapping the ever living shit out of Sting in footage from WCW Saturday Night.  they kept playing it and it was the greatest thing I've ever seen.  I just want to watch it over and over like that gif of Tyrion Lannister slapping Geoffrey.

- Having a little countdown graphic and pyro to commemorate the beginning of each new hour.  They should do that for Raw today.  Not only does it really wake you up, it also gives you a sense of accomplishment that you made it this far and there isn't that much to go.  It's like making it to a save point in SMW 2: Yoshi's Island.

- Ricky Morton's unbelievably shitty punches.

- Arn getting to actually be a badass for a few weeks leading up to Bash after months of stooging for Hogan, stooging for Savage, stooging for Hogan, stooging for Sting, stooging for The Giant, stooging for Hogan, stooging for Hogan, stooging for Hogan. "I've never met a football player I wouldn't step over top of to get to a better fight."

- Watching Flair's promos, even about something as stupid as a match with Steve McMichael, and remembering how great it was when wrestlers ignored the crowd during promos and didn't have to have a back and forth with them, didn't have to pause to wait for the right reaction, didn't feel compelled to try and get them to chant things, didn't put every goddamn thing up for a vote.  Sure, he plays off them during his entrance, or when he bails during a match, but when Flair is going off on the mic, the crowd may as well not be there.  It was the same with everyone and it's so much better that way

- Realizing how great Luger was as a big dumb Bam Bam Flintstone dumbass heel.  I love how seldom he had any big bad heel plan.  He was just a shallow dimwitted asshole spraytanned lunkhead and it's amazing.  It's so real.  I've known dudes like that and Luger's version is maybe 18% exaggerated.  Who knew Lex Luger was the sultan of subtle character development?

- Occasional music videos celebrating the fact that Hulk Hogan is not on the show you're watching right now and is somewhere else.

- training montages with Kevin Greene screaming at Steve McMichael "NOW I GOT YOUR BACK BRO WE GON" PENETRATE BABYQ WE GON" PENETRATE!!!"

- Randy Savage calling into the show via the hotline from a pay phone.  This is something they should be doing more of today.  Instead of having Dean Ambrose sit there on commentary looking awkward, he should be calling in to the show via 10-10-220 because none of the cars he's chased will stop to pick him up.

You know what?  Looking at that list, fuck the beginning of this post.  These 2 hour Nitros are still pretty amazing.

• Like 3

Just started watching the earliest two-hour Nitros when Hall first shows up.  Right from the get go the 2 hour shows are already a miserable slog compared to the 1 hour ones.  Thank God everyone in the business learned a hard lesson about that so that 20 years later they wouldn't ever compound that mistaaaa....aaaaaaGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

So far the highlights are:

- Regal slapping the ever living shit out of Sting in footage from WCW Saturday Night.  they kept playing it and it was the greatest thing I've ever seen.  I just want to watch it over and over like that gif of Tyrion Lannister slapping Geoffrey.

I loved Regal calling Sting "Sunshine" and slapping the shit out of him in that segment.  With Hall & Nash coming in, Regal went from an upper program against Sting to... constant rumors about a new horsemen stable?

• Like 1