DVDVR Message Board

WCW Monday Nitro Omnibus Thread

Zakk_Sabbath

Regal was the most consistently great guy to watch until he got dragged down with the Prince Iaukea feud and then went off the rails with drugs. Better than Benoit/Eddie/Malenko/Rey. 

One thing the 1995-1996 Nitros shine a very bright light on is how completely overrated and overstated Loose Cannon Brian Pillman was. He barely did anything for that whole period in WCW. It was basically like today when JBL tells you over and over and over and over again how CRAZY Dean Ambrose is, but you never actually SEE him do anything crazy. Announcers would tell you every week that Pillman was a loose cannon, but all he actually did in WCW was make goofy faces and an insider reference or two. He did crazier shit on WCW after he was fired than as an actual employee. Or storyline fired, at least. He didn't even do weird stuff in his matches or anything. Unless choking dudes makes you crazy. 

Nitro 02 - out of the mall setting (which was awesome) and into the Nitro set. Looks so great. Simple, clean, well-lit, and still fresher than anything that had come before. BTW, the network has this one as Sept 10. But if the debut was 9/4/95, then shouldn't this one be Sept 11?

Had Heenan been on commentary before Nitro - on WCWSN? 

Sabu/Wright is a fun little match. My biggest issue with Sabu is not the crazy stunts or the rushed spots. That is what it is, and he can be a lot of fun. No, my problem is that his stunts take too long to set up. They require the opponent to just sit there while he runs off and gets a table, puts it together; then gets a chair, lines it up perfectly. It's just goofy. 

Did they have spray tan in 1995? Sting is daaaaaaaark. Tanning bed? 

Sting/Wallstreet is a good TV match, too. Have we seen a bad match yet in these first two Nitros? 

Speaking of Heenan: Mongo continues to render him speechless on these early shows. He'll say something like, "More action than a rooster in a henhouse". We won't see their faces, but the pause means Heenan is either laughing or, more likely, totally unsure of what to say next. Then it will end up being something lame, like "Who hired this guy?" 

I like Mongo. His nuttiness is endearing. At least early on. 

On 9/18/95, Harlem Heat comes out after just having won the tag belts at Fall Brawl. Booker says something to the Males along the lines of, "We're such good champions that we're going to give you a title shot right here!" Who thought that would end well for HH? Such a silly premise for a match, too. 

Just started watching the earliest two-hour Nitros when Hall first shows up.  Right from the get go the 2 hour shows are already a miserable slog compared to the 1 hour ones.  Thank God everyone in the business learned a hard lesson about that so that 20 years later they wouldn't ever compound that mistaaaa....aaaaaaGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

So far the highlights are:

- Regal slapping the ever living shit out of Sting in footage from WCW Saturday Night.  they kept playing it and it was the greatest thing I've ever seen.  I just want to watch it over and over like that gif of Tyrion Lannister slapping Geoffrey.

I loved Regal calling Sting "Sunshine" and slapping the shit out of him in that segment.  With Hall & Nash coming in, Regal went from an upper program against Sting to... constant rumors about a new horsemen stable?

15hbfnm.gif

Regal was the most consistently great guy to watch until he got dragged down with the Prince Iaukea feud and then went off the rails with drugs. Better than Benoit/Eddie/Malenko/Rey. 

One thing the 1995-1996 Nitros shine a very bright light on is how completely overrated and overstated Loose Cannon Brian Pillman was. He barely did anything for that whole period in WCW. It was basically like today when JBL tells you over and over and over and over again how CRAZY Dean Ambrose is, but you never actually SEE him do anything crazy. Announcers would tell you every week that Pillman was a loose cannon, but all he actually did in WCW was make goofy faces and an insider reference or two. He did crazier shit on WCW after he was fired than as an actual employee. Or storyline fired, at least. He didn't even do weird stuff in his matches or anything. Unless choking dudes makes you crazy. 

I dunno, he did get Heenan to curse on camera. Also, him whipping Savage with the title belt made him look pretty crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not remember that there was a Steiners vs. Chono/Muta match on Nitro. It wasn't some great match, but it was awesome just because it was these four guys in front of a hot crowd. 6/2/97 is the date. It's worth watching. 

Chono on Nitro is great. Mostly because he was doing the most random of shit. I'm still loling his nWo turn where he unzipped his coat while Sonny was talking, but no one noticed or cared what he was doing. And then it was like, "Oh, he joined the nWo." They'd fly him over for a 4 minute match with Dave Taylor, who briefly had a safari hunter gimmick.

7iIk55F.gif

This never fails to make me laugh as well: 

N5bdwHu.gif

I believe that was the direct inspiration for physics in the Smackdown games.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On the 8/4/97 Nitro where Luger wins the title, the Nitro girls are doing a routine when Alex Wright comes out of the back dancing and dances right through their routine. I laughed for like five minutes because I am easily amused. I watched it back three times. Priceless. 

That 8/4/97 Nitro is really good. Chavo throws a sweet dropkick and Alex Wright is a really funny weaselly heel and the Luger win is fantastic. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Agreed. I remember the win vividly, one of my favorite wrestling moments as a kid. Nitro was doing pretty well (quality-wise) I thought right until about this time when they transitioned into the "kill time until Sting/Hogan at Starrcade" phase by just having the nWo get even stronger, namely with Hennig turning on the Four Horsemen and joining the nWo because... because.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I see that they've uploaded 1999 Nitros through August. Has anyone dared to revisit any of those?

not watching thru the Network, but i've been watching 1999 Nitros every Monday since January. the bad stuff is REALLY bad, but there's some pretty decent stuff in there too. they're in the opening stages of the old guard (flair, piper, ddp) vs. young guys (buff, benoit, saturn). and also just beginning the Curt Hennig vs. Rap Music feud, so i know it's about to get a whole lot worse.

And here's me stuck back in September of 1997. I am now back on watching these after getting diverted by '80s NWA SN episodes.

I can't enjoy this Sting/Hogan buildup knowing how terrible the match finish was. 

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 10:30 PM, RolandTHTG said:

Just watched a 99 Nitro where Luger runs out and saves Sting from a beatdown from Savage and Sid....

Misread that as "Liger runs out and saves Sting from a beatdown..." and was both confused and intrigued.

2 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Misread that as "Liger runs out and saves Sting from a beatdown..." and was both confused and intrigued.

Liger helping Sting against Vampiro and Muta wouldn't have been the worst way for that angle to have gone. Can't remember if Sting/Vamp was before or after this though.

This thread inspired me to also watch some sweet early 90's Nitro. Started with January first of 1996 episode. Which features a damn good Regal/Benoit match. You know a match is good when my girlfriend questions whether it is fake or not.

I never claimed my girlfriend is a valour dictorian, but still....